The Student Room Group

Brown spotting instead of period???

Hi,
So my last period ended in early April, since then each month I have had brown spotting for up to like 5/6 days, but no normal period. My doctor found out from a scan that I have pco on one side but due to having normal hormone levels ruled out pcos. So I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and whether because of my pco if this is the reason why my periods are weird?

Thanks 😊
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
So my last period ended in early April, since then each month I have had brown spotting for up to like 5/6 days, but no normal period. My doctor found out from a scan that I have pco on one side but due to having normal hormone levels ruled out pcos. So I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and whether because of my pco if this is the reason why my periods are weird?

Thanks 😊

This does not make sense. How did you GP find that you had PCOS on one side then rules it out? Go for a second opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
This does not make sense. How did you GP find that you had PCOS on one side then rules it out? Go for a second opinion.

Sorry I should have made it clearer, he found that I had Cysts on one of my ovaries, but I don’t have poly cystic ovary syndrome which is a different thing.
Sorry I should have made it clearer, he found that I had Cysts on one of my ovaries, but I don’t have poly cystic ovary syndrome which is a different thing.

Ok. Maybe get a second opinion.

Fibroid???

I have one in my uterus and I do get brown spotting sometimes

What has your GP said is causing the spotting? You can have PCOS with normal hormones, by the way.
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
Ok. Maybe get a second opinion.

Yeah I think I might 👌, thanks 😊
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
What has your GP said is causing the spotting? You can have PCOS with normal hormones, by the way.

I didn’t even realise that, I thought pcos was all about irregularity with hormones, he didn’t really say anything about that tbh
Reply 8
Original post by Becausethefool
Fibroid???

I have one in my uterus and I do get brown spotting sometimes

Ahh, maybe because I do get it very often
Hi,

Thanks 😊

There's many reasons why your periods are like this okay - below is some possible reasons but your GP is best person to confirm any problems with them with you.

Why am I getting brown discharge.......
In many cases, brown discharge is old blood that's taking extra time to leave the uterus. This is especially true if you see it at the beginning or end of your menstrual period. Brown discharge at other points in your cycle may still be normal but be sure to take note of any other symptoms you experience.

How long should brown discharge last.......
Brown discharge, or brown spotting, can quite often occur after your period. It'll usually last for roughly two days, but may come at any point throughout your cycle, for any duration of time

Why am I getting spotting instead of my period.......
Occasional anovulation is caused by weight, age, and stress. Long-term anovulation may be a sign of conditions, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). You can still have periods without ovulation. They may look like spotting or a very light flow.

Brown discharge before a period is usually harmless, and there are many possible reasons for it. Sometimes, it can indicate pregnancy or perimenopause. Less commonly, it could be a sign of an underlying health condition. Brown discharge before a period is typically a vaginal discharge that contains blood.
I didn’t even realise that, I thought pcos was all about irregularity with hormones, he didn’t really say anything about that tbh

If you have symptoms suggestive of PCOS and have enlarged/polycystic ovaries (not sure if it has to be both or if one is enough though), that is enough for a diagnosis even if your hormones are normal.
Ahh, maybe because I do get it very often

I think they would have seen fibroids on an ultrasound scan.

If you are getting spotting a lot, it might be worth speaking to your GP about whether going on the pill might help, as that is often used to regulate periods.

Quick Reply

Latest