AbMd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
What articles/ medical newspapers / books can I read in preparation for a medical school interview? There are so many topics they could ask you about, so how do I ensure I have a broad understanding of what is going on in medicine before the interview?
Do they ever ask you specific questions (e.g. specific recent advancements in medicine), or are they always general questions e.g. "tell us about an article you've read recently"?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There is a huuuuuge interview preparation thread from the last application cycle which can't be too far down this forum (can't link as I'm on my phone right now) - that will be a very good place to start!
DogeTheDoggo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6748260

That’s the thread that was mentioned above
DogeTheDoggo
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by AbMd)
What articles/ medical newspapers / books can I read in preparation for a medical school interview? There are so many topics they could ask you about, so how do I ensure I have a broad understanding of what is going on in medicine before the interview?
Do they ever ask you specific questions (e.g. specific recent advancements in medicine), or are they always general questions e.g. "tell us about an article you've read recently"?

There a number of great books for people interested in medicine. There’s a thread specifically for this.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6491274

Probably keep updated about the corona virus, basics of the virus, vaccines, rollout, lockdowns, etc.
Articles are too vast so don’t try remember a bunch completely. Instead, try to know a few in good detail.

It’s not really possible to cover everything so ensuring you know as many broad topics as possible while being specific enough at some points is good enough. That’s what I did.
The medic portal is a pretty good starting point which you can build on and diversify from.

You’ll find a lot more advice on the thread itself.
Last edited by DogeTheDoggo; 3 months ago
AbMd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by DogeTheDoggo)
There a number of great books for people interested in medicine. There’s a thread specifically for this.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6491274

Probably keep updated about the corona virus, basics of the virus, vaccines, rollout, lockdowns, etc.
Articles are too vast so don’t try remember a bunch completely. Instead, try to know a few in good detail.

It’s not really possible to cover everything so ensuring you know as many broad topics as possible while being specific enough at some points is good enough. That’s what I did.
The medic portal is a pretty good starting point which you can build on and diversify from.

You’ll find a lot more advice on the thread itself.
Thanks.
What medical school did you get into?
Orlando22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I used the ISC Medical School Interview book to practice along with the Medic Portal.

Also for books I would recommend:
When Breath Becomes Air
War Doctor
The Language of Kindness
Unnatural Causes
Medical Ethics - a very short introduction
DogeTheDoggo
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AbMd)
Thanks.
What medical school did you get into?
Keele uni
AbMd
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Orlando22)
I used the ISC Medical School Interview book to practice along with the Medic Portal.

Also for books I would recommend:
When Breath Becomes Air
War Doctor
The Language of Kindness
Unnatural Causes
Medical Ethics - a very short introduction
Thanks for these recommendations! I'll definitely take note of them.
What medical school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?
Orlando22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AbMd)
Thanks for these recommendations! I'll definitely take note of them.
What medical school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?
No problem at all. I’ve not started yet but hopefully if I get the grades I’ll be off to Sheffield in September. Fingers crossed!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads