The Student Room Group

is my dad acting inappropriately?

he keeps getting mad at me for wearing 'revealing' clothing (e.g low cut tops, crop tops, short skirts, bikinis) at home but won't tell me why he doesn't like it. he comments on my body a lot and says that my boobs are too big for the things i'm wearing and has to physically cover his eyes when i'm near him sometimes so he doesn't stare. it makes me really uncomfortable when i can feel him staring at me and it feels sexual when all i want is to wear what i like in hot weather. my mum gets mad at him for saying things too me but he doesn't seem to care or listen to her about it. am i overreacting? should i just wear different clothes?

Scroll to see replies

Nah you've done nothing wrong tbh. He shouldn't be reacting that way and imo he's in the wrong here. It's your choice so wear what you want.
Parents are always wrong on TSR :wink:
Yes.
It sounds like your father is in the habit of making unpleasant and inappropriate remarks at home about your clothes.

To avoid experiencing any more of his rhetoric and negative attitude, consider avoiding him.
Particularly try to ensure that you stay out of his sight whenever you are wearing anything that could trigger another verbal outburst from him.
Plus try your best to save up enough money to finance moving into your own accomodation as soon as possible.
So that you can wear whatever clothes you like at home without being hassled, insulted or emotionally blackmailed.
I understand some of what you are feeling, I got almost constant hassle from most of my mother's toxic pals and violence from my mother for ignoring their demands.
Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
he keeps getting mad at me for wearing 'revealing' clothing (e.g low cut tops, crop tops, short skirts, bikinis) at home but won't tell me why he doesn't like it. he comments on my body a lot and says that my boobs are too big for the things i'm wearing and has to physically cover his eyes when i'm near him sometimes so he doesn't stare. it makes me really uncomfortable when i can feel him staring at me and it feels sexual when all i want is to wear what i like in hot weather. my mum gets mad at him for saying things too me but he doesn't seem to care or listen to her about it. am i overreacting? should i just wear different clothes?

you wearing low cut tops and dressing provocatively probably makes him feel uncomfortable.

i'd probably not like it too if my sister was always wearing that and i had to be round her..
Reply 5
Original post by ANM775
you wearing low cut tops and dressing provocatively probably makes him feel uncomfortable.

i'd probably not like it too if my sister was always wearing that and i had to be round her..

why should it make him uncomfortable though? why is he seeing me in a sexual way? it’s weird
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
It sounds like your father is in the habit of making unpleasant and inappropriate remarks at home about your clothes.

To avoid experiencing any more of his rhetoric and negative attitude, consider avoiding him.
Particularly try to ensure that you stay out of his sight whenever you are wearing anything that could trigger another verbal outburst from him.
Plus try your best to save up enough money to finance moving into your own accomodation as soon as possible.
So that you can wear whatever clothes you like at home without being hassled, insulted or emotionally blackmailed.
I understand some of what you are feeling, I got almost constant hassle from most of my mother's toxic pals and violence from my mother for ignoring their demands.
Good luck!

thank you for this i’m moving out for uni soon so i’ll be glad to get away

At first I thought that maybe he was still in denial about his daughter becoming mature (I guess it would feel weird for a parent to think their child is going out into the big bad world on their own)

But the fact that his staring seems sexual is concerning
No father should behave in such a manner
Talk to your.mother about this
Has anyone else noticed this behaviour ?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by WazzWazz98
At first I thought that maybe he was still in denial about his daughter becoming mature (I guess it would feel weird for a parent to think their child is going out into the bog bad world on their own)

But the fact that his staring seems sexual is concerning
No father should behave in such a manner
Talk to your.mother about this
Has anyone else noticed this behaviour ?

my mum knows abt it and she calls him out for it when he does it but i don’t think she realises just how much it happens,, i've spoken to her abt it a few times but he doesn’t rlly care when she tries to start a conversation abt it so nothing changes ://
Yeah fathers should never look at there children in sexual ways, stay safe bb
The fact your dad has to cover his eyes just so he doesn't stare at you is disgusting tbh. Why would your dad see you in a sexual manner?
(edited 2 years ago)
LMAOOOOO omds
I do think wearing bikinis around the house is a bit much tbh I know it's been hot recently but it's just as easy to wear some shorts and a tank top or whatever. I guess if you consider that a bikini is essentially wearing underwear I'm sure most fathers would feel uncomfortable seeing their daughters like that.

But still, I don't see the problem with wearing crop tops or short skirts and the fact that he has to cover his eyes so he doesn't look at your breasts is just creepy. He shouldn't even be commenting on your breasts or any aspect of your body. He's gross.
(edited 2 years ago)
why should it make him uncomfortable though? why is he seeing me in a sexual way? it’s weird

Would you be uncomfortable if he got his **** out? Is that because you "see him in a sexual way"?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Theloniouss
Would you be uncomfortable if he got his **** out? Is that because you "see him in a sexual way"?

Idk why men always think getting their **** out is equivalent to a women showing breasts, or even just a revealing top

It's not the same. The same would be a women walking around with no underwear on. It's really that simple.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Idk why men always think getting their **** out is equivalent to a women showing breasts, or even just a revealing top

It's not the same. The same would be a women walking around with no underwear on. It's really that simple.

It's the same idea. Point is that other people wearing little to nothing can make you uncomfortable for non-sexual reasons.

This definitely needs more context. But nonetheless, no, his behavior is not appropriate. It's not particularly nice either. Has this been happening for a long time?

I'm just curious though. Do you have any other siblings? How does he act towards them? Are they both your biological parents? How does your mother dress? How did you used to dress in the past during the summer? How old is he? Did you parents ever have problems with one cheating on the other?

If you're purely dressing the way you are, because it is hot and it is summer... then there is very little wrong with it. If you are dressing the way you are as a means of seeking attention, then perhaps you should think harder about this. But somehow, I really doubt you would be doing that in your own home, around your parents of all people. That's just... not normally how it goes.

It sounds a lot more like he is the one with issues. He may be anxious about you maturing and dressing too revealing around other people. That's normal for a lot of parents. But staring at your boobs isn't.

I've never been in a remotely similar situation, but to have someone you've known for this long act that way towards you... yeah, no. I don't think this is right.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I do think wearing bikinis around the house is a bit much tbh I know it's been hot recently but it's just as easy to wear some shorts and a tank top or whatever. I guess if you consider that a bikini is essentially wearing underwear I'm sure most fathers would feel uncomfortable seeing their daughters like that.

But still, I don't see the problem with wearing crop tops or short skirts and the fact that he has to cover his eyes so he doesn't look at your breasts is just creepy. He shouldn't even be commenting on your breasts or any aspect of your body. He's gross.

i wouldn't wear a bikini in the house but we have a hot tub and i often look after my younger siblings in the paddling pool/playing with water etc.
Original post by NonIndigenous
This definitely needs more context. But nonetheless, no, his behavior is not appropriate. It's not particularly nice either. Has this been happening for a long time?

I'm just curious though. Do you have any other siblings? How does he act towards them? Are they both your biological parents? How does your mother dress? How did you used to dress in the past during the summer? How old is he? Did you parents ever have problems with one cheating on the other?

If you're purely dressing the way you are, because it is hot and it is summer... then there is very little wrong with it. If you are dressing the way you are as a means of seeking attention, then perhaps you should think harder about this. But somehow, I really doubt you would be doing that in your own home, around your parents of all people. That's just... not normally how it goes.

It sounds a lot more like he is the one with issues. He may be anxious about you maturing and dressing too revealing around other people. That's normal for a lot of parents. But staring at your boobs isn't.

I've never been in a remotely similar situation, but to have someone you've known for this long act that way towards you... yeah, no. I don't think this is right.

i have a brother who is 10, a brother who is 7 and a sister who is 4 and he never says anything to them, presumably bc they never wear anything that shows too much skin and they're so much younger. my mum wears swimsuits/bikinis and short skirts similar to what i wear tbh and it never seems to be an issue with him. i'm a lesbian and i'm asexual so i'm definitely not looking for any attention; i genuinely just want to be able to dress how i want.
Reply 19

Sounds warped and bad, but have u ever thought your father has a sexual appeal for you, but cant look at you in the clothes because he knows it's the wrong thing to do?
Or has he ever had any bad sexual experiences.

Or in a more present tone, He might not want you to grow up and express yourself as u hit maturity. Lots of parents struggle with their child growing up and separation.

OR Within this society of 2021, rape and sex is on a increase. He might be scared about you wearing them clothes, letting it become a habit and become your main clothing. By wearing short clothes in public you have more influential perception, attention brung towards you, whilst also increasing you as a sexual target (sexual victim) Due to looking slutty or looking sexually open. You might not think the clothes are sultty, and they aren't. But there is a lot of pedos and rapists around. If u understand me

Latest

Trending

Trending