The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Final Degree Classification

Hi, just got calculated my overall degree classification and it came up to 69.80 does it get rounded to a first class degree?

Would be extremely harsh if it's not rounded as I'm 0.20 off.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, just got calculated my overall degree classification and it came up to 69.80 does it get rounded to a first class degree?

Yes, it gets rounded up to 70 :smile:

Also, a lot of unis (e.g. Exeter, Cardiff, Essex) have contextual Firsts; if someone gets 68% with at least half their credits at 70% or above, they get a First anyway :h:

Congratulations! :blow:
(edited 2 years ago)
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

You’ll have to check your universities classification guidelines, sometimes their are also algorithms that can help promote borderline students.

as for it being harsh, I don’t agree, the reality is its not about harsh or light treatment it’s simply about following policy, ultimately you didn’t achieve 70%. Their is a good chance you get rounded up but if not that is just where you placed.

personally this is why I prefer GPA systems but their is little appetite in the UK for them.
Original post by mnot
You’ll have to check your universities classification guidelines, sometimes their are also algorithms that can help promote borderline students.

as for it being harsh, I don’t agree, the reality is its not about harsh or light treatment it’s simply about following policy, ultimately you didn’t achieve 70%. Their is a good chance you get rounded up but if not that is just where you placed.

personally this is why I prefer GPA systems but their is little appetite in the UK for them.

It is absolutely harsh. The person got 70% when you round it up to the nearest integer. So to be classified as 2:1 based on 0.2% less is harsh. Putting someone who got 69.8% in the same classification as 60% is harsh.
It is absolutely harsh. The person got 70% when you round it up to the nearest integer. So to be classified as 2:1 based on 0.2% less is harsh. Putting someone who got 69.8% in the same classification as 60% is harsh.

It depends on the policy of the university, they should enforce it inline with standards, if you call the borderline 69.5%, 70% or any other number you end up in the exact same situation with someone.

The most important thing is not allowing emotion to stir the pot, it’s about setting a policy and awarding degrees in line with it.

As I said a GPA system would be much better, and fairer, but the UK is set on using tiers.
Reply 5
I get both of your arguments, however in the light of a pandemic it should be considered by all universities. I will fight my case and keep you updated.

Thank you for your advice and support.
Reply 6
I get both of your arguments, however in the light of a pandemic it should be considered by all universities. I will fight my case and keep you updated.

Thank you for your advice and support.

According to https://regulations.docstore.port.ac.uk/ExamRegs9BoardofExaminers.pdf
3.2. The Board of Examiners shall have marks presented to it according to the followingconventions:
a) module marks in integers;
b) weighted mean averages, as appropriate to the classification criteria being
reviewed, reported as integers as follows:
a) a decimal of .5 or greater shall round up to the next highest integer;
b) a decimal of .4 or less shall round down to the integer;
If I have 69.8 then that will be rounded to 70 and I would be awarded a first.
Does anyone know when we are likely to find out our degree classification? I wanna knowwwwwww. I'm also borderline x
Reply 8
Original post by Danielle1415
Does anyone know when we are likely to find out our degree classification? I wanna knowwwwwww. I'm also borderline x

Depends on which University you go to. University of Portsmouth will release the classification probably in the next 2 weeks. Most likely end of next week

What is your percentage if you mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending