The Student Room Group

Does this sound like a good EPQ idea?

Is time travel possible?
Do you think it will make for a good epq
Yh probably. It's a there is lots you could cover but it's not too ambiguous. Plus theres definetly lots of research. An epq should relate to what you want to do in uni/career-wise or a subject your studying so I assume your doing physics
Original post by tej3141
Yh probably. It's a there is lots you could cover but it's not too ambiguous. Plus theres definetly lots of research. An epq should relate to what you want to do in uni/career-wise or a subject your studying so I assume your doing physics

Yeah I wanna do physics at uni
Reply 3
Yeah definitely. There would be a hell of a lot of material to go off of.
Original post by The-evil-potato

Then is a good topic. I'm considering physics too.
Are you in yr 11 or yr 12?
Original post by tej3141
Then is a good topic. I'm considering physics too.
Are you in yr 11 or yr 12?

Year 12
Wbu
Year 12
Wbu

Yr 12 but I've already done my epq.
What subjects do you do?
Yes but you need a decent subtitle too, specifying what it is specifically that you are studying/investigating.
Original post by tej3141
Yr 12 but I've already done my epq.
What subjects do you do?

Maths, further maths and physics
I’m going to pm you
Original post by 04MR17
Yes but you need a decent subtitle too, specifying what it is specifically that you are studying/investigating.

Do you mean like seeing if time travel is possible according to Einstein’s theory of relativity
Do you mean like seeing if time travel is possible according to Einstein’s theory of relativity

I mean like:

Is time travel possible?
An exploration of Einstein's theory of relativity
By The-evil-potato
Original post by 04MR17
I mean like:

Is time travel possible?
An exploration of Einstein's theory of relativity
By The-evil-potato

This looks epic
I’m definitely using this format(possibly even the title)

My daughter did EPQ in physics. ''Particle physics, the Lego blocks of life'' . She now studies that very subject now at uni :smile: Your time travel one can be very good, especially in einsteins theory.

At Lancaster uni theres a module called ''the physical universe'' and the syllabus is broken down below (most unis have similar syllabus in first year(or named something else but has the same stuff in)):
Syllabus:
The nature of physics. Experiment and uncertainty. Modelling. Deterministic vs. probabilistic.
Standards and units. Uncertainty and significant figures. Order of magnitude estimates. Dimensional analysis.
Relativity. Frames of reference. Galilean transformation.
Kinematics. Position, displacement, velocity and acceleration vectors. Motion in a straight line with constant acceleration. Motionin 2 dimensions. Projectile, circular motion.
Dynamics. Newton’s laws. Concepts of force and energy. Relations between force, momentum, energy, power. Kinetic and potentialenergy. Conservation of energy and momentum. Collisions, impulse.
Special relativity. Einstein’s postulates. Simultaneity, time dilation, length contraction. Lorentz transformation. Momentum, work and energy.

Especially the last part, Time dilation, length contraction, lorentz factor would probably tie in. And would be a very good talking point at uni interviews as its usually in the Part I of the first year uni courses.

Quick Reply

Latest