The Student Room Group

Do I give up a potential training contract?

closed thread. Thanks.
(edited 2 years ago)
i would sill continue with this prospective training contract application.. it is very difficult to get a placement anywhere and you may not get through to the other firms. Im not sure what happens after you are offered a place, whether you could potentially retract your acceptance IF you were offered a TC at one of the other firms your interested in.. but i definitely wouldnt give up this opportunity without having a definite back up placement.
Just take it and renege later if somewhere you like better comes up. It's not that deep.
Original post by Manclass98
I mean, it is that deep. Because logistics and two years full-time working in a firm anywhere is a lot to take on. But thanks for your helpful comment.

its a very important decision, just dont close your options off before you know for sure there is a back up option. You can always reconsider later, if you are offered the opportunity somewhere better suited.

I have not had any success yet and its soooo stressful! Due to start my LPC in september and worrying i wont ever get a TC :/
Reply 4
I wasn’t sure if I was able to, because I don’t actually know when they do the official paperwork contract to sign etc. But I’ll look into that. Thanks
I wasn’t sure if I was able to, because I don’t actually know when they do the official paperwork contract to sign etc. But I’ll look into that. Thanks

You can still renege after you've signed, but before you've started. It happens far more often than you think.
I really wouldn’t be worrying about this until after you get a TC. A ‘final stage interview’ is not really a ‘provisional acceptance’ of you as a trainee. A vacation scheme offer is more of a provisional acceptance because you’ve done the interview/apps/etc. There’s loads of people who make it to the final stages and don’t get offers because, ultimately, the interview is what matters. I’m not sure what the recruitment process is for the mid-tier firm you’re referring to, but it’s probably just your average application > Watson glaser/SJD test > interview > offer.

Worry about the hypotheticals once you’ve got the offer. In the meantime you’re better off spending your time researching the firm / going over your competencies than discussing ifs and buts for an opportunity that may not even be available. I agree with one of the users before me; it really isn’t that deep.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm going off of what the careers team have said to me, so it's as accurate as possible. It was an application > SJD test > phone interview > assessment centre > final interview > offer. A long process over 4/5 months, so yeah, it is ''that deep'' to me, but thank you for your concern.

You're being remarkably unpleasant to the three people, all of whom have training contracts, that have given you advice. You're overthinking it. Why is that so hard to accept?
I'm going off of what the careers team have said to me, so it's as accurate as possible. It was an application > SJD test > phone interview > assessment centre > final interview > offer. A long process over 4/5 months, so yeah, it is ''that deep'' to me, but thank you for your concern.

I’m not concerned at all. I’m just saying you’re working yourself up when you could spend your time more productively. And, as others have already said, you can literally renege. Not to mention that usually you have to accept the TC within a time limit - which can also be quite generous. All of this info will be given to you if you get the offer… so you can then plan accordingly.

As side note, I’m not sure how your firm recruits it’s trainees but the vast majority of firms these days do so via vacation schemes. As far as I’m concerned, getting TC off the bat is far more difficult and a lot less likely. This is yet another reason why this ‘hypothetical’ question is kinda pointless. Get the TC first, ask questions later.

Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gmaster1980
You're being remarkably unpleasant to the three people, all of whom have training contracts, that have given you advice. You're overthinking it. Why is that so hard to accept?

Agreed!
I mean, at no point has any respondent said they have a TC, so I don't see why that's relevant. I also don't need somebody telling me ''it ain't that deep'' because if I wasn't aware of the possible outcomes of a potentially serious job contract, that of course it's a big deal to me. But the question has been answered, thus, no more responses are required. I'm not overthinking it, I've just had the same answer multiple times when it isn't necessary lmao.

You got snide when I gave you the answer the first time, and that's why people had to break it down for you in excruciating detail, to which you continued to be snide. The greatest irony here would be if you get neither of the offers and this whole thread was entirely pointless, but what can we do.
Not a lot, really. But enjoy the rest of your evening. I find it difficult to understand how you could tell how I approached an answer, considering we're literally writing electronically to each other, so emotions aren't considered. Have a good day.

.....you do realise that having a grasp of tone in written English is sort of a prerequisite for working in UK law right?
To clarify, you certainly were not able to grasp my tone then. Because I literally wasn't being snide, I just don't need anymore responses to my questions. Thanks for the help.

Lol, alrighty then. Considering everyone else read it that way as well, maybe you should work on how you come across.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending