The Student Room Group

Provisional Results are horrible, how can I get into University?

Hello, I just got my provisional results today, and safe to say I did badly. All of these are Highers:
Chemistry-D
Computing Science-C
English-B
Mathematics-B
Physics-C
I really wish to got into university, hopefully in a scientific or computing course. I have one more year left in school. Is there any universities willing to accept grades so low, or do I have any other hope?
I would recommend retaking chemistry but aside from that, you can get into uni and onto a course of your choosing via a foundation course assuming your A levels aren’t too bad.

My results were fairly mediocre (straight Cs and a couple of Bs in maths and IT).

Went on to do A levels and managed only one A level (D in biology) with 2 Es in Chem and Maths at As (completely failed A2).

Phoned around and found a course who said they’d take me on for a foundation year at University Of West England, Bristol and I went onto the Biomedical Science course and eventually managed to get a 2.1 classification.

Am now an associate practitioner working for the NHS. 🙂

Your results are far from terrible and can do a fair bit with them. 🙂
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
I would recommend retaking chemistry but aside from that, you can get into uni and onto a course of your choosing via a foundation course assuming your A levels aren’t too bad.

My results were fairly mediocre (straight Cs and a couple of Bs in maths and IT).

Went onto do A levels and managed only one A level (D in biology) with 2 Es in Chem and Maths at As (completely failed A2).

Phoned around and found a course who said they’d take me on for a foundation year at University Of West England, Bristol and I went onto the Biomedical Science course and eventually managed to get a 2.1 classification.

Am now an associate practitioner working for the NHS. 🙂

Your results are far from terrible and can do a fair bit with them. 🙂

THanks for responding, may I ask about what is the Scottish version of an A level, do all universities have a foundation course, and if there is a place where I can find out more on foundation courses? Thanks again!
Original post by TheSA04
THanks for responding, may I ask about what is the Scottish version of an A level, do all universities have a foundation course, and if there is a place where I can find out more on foundation courses? Thanks again!

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Scottish education system so, I can't answer that.

Do all universities have a foundation course? No, however a lot do. My university offered a foundation science course which allowed you to, if you passed to go onto Biomedical Science, Forensic Science, Psychology, Biology and/or Environmental Science. So, based on what you want to do, I would recommend looking around at universities which offer something you're interested in (I'm assuming you're in first year of sixth form/college).

Is there a place where you can find out more on foundation courses? - I would recommend phoning around or attending open days myself. Mine was a "who's the first university which will accept me?" kind of thing but I got lucky and got a REALLY good university student support wise. UWE is currently only ranked 56 in the country but student satisfaction is actually ranked 12th and if I'm honest, LOVED the student support they offered there, couldn't fault it!

So, once you know what it is you're after course wise, look into either foundation courses or ask if universities will accept you based on your GCSEs/A levels and go from there. I went through clearing because, as you can tell, my A levels were rather crap! =)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TheSA04

The Scottish version of A levels are your highers and advanced highers😊
This is just my opinion so it's not a fact at all but, universities in clearing are a lot more receptive to lower grade A-levels in clearing. This is because universities are essentially businesses and they want to fill the course up.

For your course of interest, they will look at Math, Computer Science, Physics. Your grades are projected to be pretty good TBH

Which universities would you like to go to? I know in Scotland the fees are much lower than the rest of the UK for you.
Reply 6
Original post by Sha-ney-ney
This is just my opinion so it's not a fact at all but, universities in clearing are a lot more receptive to lower grade A-levels in clearing. This is because universities are essentially businesses and they want to fill the course up.

For your course of interest, they will look at Math, Computer Science, Physics. Your grades are projected to be pretty good TBH

Which universities would you like to go to? I know in Scotland the fees are much lower than the rest of the UK for you.

Well price isn't an issue, since university is free everyone as long as we use proper channels. Personally, I would like to attend a uni in scotland, preferably in/near glasgow.
In my own opinion I think these grades are not too bad the only main grades you only need are maths and English which you got a strong grade b, however if you want you can retake chemistry and maybe look at revision websites and videos work on your weaknesses in any test you did papers you felt like you lost marks on work on them in order to boost up your grades.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheSA04
Well price isn't an issue, since university is free everyone as long as we use proper channels. Personally, I would like to attend a uni in scotland, preferably in/near glasgow.

I've had a quick look at Glasgow University and Glasgow Caledonian University and they are close to your range if you are looking at computer science.

Glasgow Uni has slightly higher than your requirements
GCU about the same as what you are predicted.
the university of West Scotland is very accommodating (I know it's in Paysley).https://www.uws.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-course-search/computing-science/?returnUrl=?%7B%22Keyword%22:%22%22,%22Letter%22:%22C%22,%22CourseSubject%22:%7B%22Key%22:%22CourseSubject%22,%22Value%22:%22%22%7D,%22CpdDeliveryMode%22:%7B%22Key%22:%22CpdDeliveryMode%22,%22Value%22:%22%22%7D,%22CpdSubjectArea%22:%7B%22Key%22:%22CpdSubjectArea%22,%22Value%22:%22%22%7D,%22CpdLocations%22:%7B%22Key%22:%22CpdLocations%22,%22Value%22:%22%22%7D,%22CpdCourseStartDates%22:%22%22,%22Campus%22:%7B%22Key%22:%22Campus%22,%22Value%22:%5B%5D%7D,%22StudyMode%22:%7B%22Key%22:%22StudyMode%22,%22Value%22:%5B%5D%7D,%22PageNum%22:2,%22PageSize%22:12,%22SortBy%22:%22Az%22,%22CourseType%22:2771%7D#!#entry-requirements

This course looks actually fairly good. I'm going to do Mechanical Engineering at UCLan Preston.
Possibly speak to university careers about your future options they should give you an direction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending