The Student Room Group

Has anyone lately made an effort to stop eating meat and dairy

Has anyone else lately made a big effort to stop eating meat and dairy because it's proven eating more meat is bad for our planet my boyfriend refuses to cut down and it makes me upset I see videos of chickens and other animals being tortured and killed and that's what stopped me as well as our climate, so anyone else doing the same?

Scroll to see replies

Many people do this all the time. Are you looking for guidance, or just confirmation?
Not a vegetarian but i do get that about animal cruelty.
global warming is a load of ****
Yeah I'm basically vegan and feel (and look) a lot healthier now. A lot of foods make me feel sick so I've been slowly eliminating all of those foods and am mostly left with fruit and vegetables and vegan stuff like quorn. The fact that I'm morally superior to everyone else is just a nice bonus.

Kind of hoping my future gf will be vegan as well tbh. But it's not that important to me what other people eat.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
I am vegetarian aspiring to be vegan. I do Veganuary every year but have yet to find the will power to cut out cheese. As meat eating is so engrained in society you have to go for evolution rather than revolution with your bf. Be a role model and show him there is delicious vegan food. I don’t miss meat at all. I’m sure the day will come that for ethical and environmental reasons meat eating is in the minority. Might be a while though
Original post by Anonymous
Has anyone else lately made a big effort to stop eating meat and dairy because it's proven eating more meat is bad for our planet my boyfriend refuses to cut down and it makes me upset I see videos of chickens and other animals being tortured and killed and that's what stopped me as well as our climate, so anyone else doing the same?

You know the humans are the more intelligent species in Earth. Not as intelligent as many think but still we are on the top of the food chain. We can be as bad and cruel as want to be to other animals and torture them all day long and then slaughter them. Obviously this is not something most us do or enjoy. However the ethics here and morality are derived from the most powerful and intelligent species, which is...us!!!

Humans are omnivores and hence we do have in our diet animal products. We kill and eat animals. Can we stop this. I doubt that can ever happen.

I know you can get upset with seeing how animals are treated somtimes and the slaughtering of many of their species. However trying to convince someone else who doesn't share your own views on this matter it could only bring you in direct collision with them.

You may find it best to look for someone else who shares the same views as you do. Morality and views are not Universal.
Yes, bit by bit. I have reduced eating meat. Hopefully the future is vegetarian and our grandchildren will look at our generation with disgust, just as we look at canibals.
Original post by Chicken.M.
Yeah I'm basically vegan and feel (and look) a lot healthier now. A lot of foods make me feel sick so I've been slowly eliminating all of those foods and am mostly left with fruit and vegetables and vegan stuff like quorn. The fact that I'm morally superior to everyone else is just a nice bonus.

Kind of hoping my future gf will be vegan as well tbh. But it's not that important to me what other people eat.

Veganism doesn't make you morally superior to anyone in any way. :s-smilie:
Original post by V℮rsions
Veganism doesn't make you morally superior to anyone in any way. :s-smilie:

Sorry i can't hear you over the sound of my morally superior vegan lifestyle.
Original post by Zarek
I am vegetarian aspiring to be vegan. I do Veganuary every year but have yet to find the will power to cut out cheese. As meat eating is so engrained in society you have to go for evolution rather than revolution with your bf. Be a role model and show him there is delicious vegan food. I don’t miss meat at all. I’m sure the day will come that for ethical and environmental reasons meat eating is in the minority. Might be a while though

That's the key thing tbh. Vegan food in general tends to taste way better lol. That's the main reason I ended up becoming vegan. For example, quorn is soooo much tastier than meat and it has a better texture. It's spongey so it absorbs flavours really well when cooking and becomes juicey af. It literally explodes in your mouth with sauce when you bite into quorn chunks lol. And it also literally explodes when you heat them up in the microwave because of the juiciness.
Original post by Chicken.M.
Sorry i can't hear you over the sound of my morally superior vegan lifestyle.

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Veganism is not sustainable. You need a lot more food to get the same amount of nutrients/proteins that your body requires. I see your point about animals being tortured and they definitely shouldn't be but there's no issue with eating meat. We're at the top of the food chain and it's the best source or protein.
Original post by shooonthebeat
Veganism is not sustainable. You need a lot more food to get the same amount of nutrients/proteins that your body requires. I see your point about animals being tortured and they definitely shouldn't be but there's no issue with eating meat. We're at the top of the food chain and it's the best source or protein.

not true at all lol. Veganism doesn't mean you're only eating grass and plant leaves. Theres so much vegan food with protein, fat, etc. For example I have this spam alternative thats made out of peanuts (so damn tasty as well. It tastes so much better than actual spam) which is full of fat and protein.

And then I eat a lot of quorn, which is a meat substitute and full of protein lol.

I also eat vegan 'chicken' nuggets full of protein (made out of quorn again).

I personally just eat those because they're tastey af, but there are so many other examples. You can't use that excuse anymore becaues there are soooo many vegan food products being made nowadays. Your diet is purely personal choice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by karl pilkington
global warming is a load of ****

The bald orange himself has spoken!
Reply 15
dairy farming is the worst. if you want to enjoy your cheese and milk without thinking about how it is made do not(!) watch a documentary on it :nah:

i was vegan for a year. then i became homeless and had to eat whatever i could get my hands on. ngl if you have time and resources to worry about the climate and animal cruelty it is indeed a luxury. like, there is a reason you rarely hear of a homeless person or someone living seriously paycheck-to-paycheck whose number one priority is pollution or putting animals first.
I've always felt sympathy for the animals, but given how limited my diet is I'd end up living on Oreos, vegan sausage rolls and crisps if I have up animal products. I've tried this and never last more than a fortnight. I think I'll just compromise and continue eating burgers while feeling guilty.
No, I love meat and dairy. Eating animals is soo delicious :biggrin: :yum:

I suggest you break up with your bf its clear his lifestyle doesn't match yours and no point in forcing your views down his throat.
ya same
I tried for 5 mins

Quick Reply

Latest