The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Narrowly missed conditional offer University of birmingham

I am a Canadian student which planned in UK next year, I received an offer from the University of Birmingham computer science BSc which i need to have 85% average, but it's likely i am going to miss the offer by 0.xxx%, will I get rejected?
(edited 2 years ago)
Uk unis are usually pretty strict with requirements so if you’re below it you will prob get rejected. In the uk we tend to round our results to a full percentage though so if it’s <0.5% off you might be okay. If you don’t get in it’s definitely worth ringing them up on results day and explaining how close you were to the requirements and if they have spaces left they might let you in. I hope it doesn’t come to this though! :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Anonymous
Uk unis are usually pretty strict with requirements so if you’re below it you will prob get rejected. In the uk we tend to round our results to a full percentage though so if it’s <0.5% off you might be okay. If you don’t get in it’s definitely worth ringing them up on results day and explaining how close you were to the requirements and if they have spaces left they might let you in. I hope it doesn’t come to this though! :smile:

so they will round it up to 85% if I got 84.5%?? Is it a traditional thing or depends on the university?
Original post by jason_copium
so they will round it up to 85% if I got 84.5%?? Is it a traditional thing or depends on the university?

Perhaps the commenter meant that it seems to be a common occurrence in the UK.
Original post by SlaveofAll
Perhaps the commenter meant that it seems to be a common occurrence in the UK.

Thanks for response I have direct ask the university about this situations

It depends on how it shows on your report card and transcript, because I think my school report card shows as rounded up but the saskatchewan high school transcript shows some of my marks as decimals, but usually if its going to be rounded up you should be fine just phone them up when you get your results

Sure
I am in a different situation I was having 78,86,87,84,86,86 in my top 6 subjects, which means I was like having 84.5% average, it really depends on if the university would round up 84.5%to 85%
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/how-to-apply/index.aspx
Also may I ask what does this mean by birmingham are they already lowered the standards already?

Yes I meant that’s usually what happens in the uk with percentages
Yes I meant that’s usually what happens in the uk with percentages

could u explain on the link i have sent above, base on what they said am I getting huger chance on getting in?
could u explain on the link i have sent above, base on what they said am I getting huger chance on getting in?

From what it says on the website it looks like they’ve lowered the entry requirements this year compared to what they were last year (excluding the subjects mentioned at the bottom)
From what it says on the website it looks like they’ve lowered the entry requirements this year compared to what they were last year (excluding the subjects mentioned at the bottom)

But they won't be flexible handling my grades if I dun meet the offer right?
Just depends on the text they post on the website
But they won't be flexible handling my grades if I dun meet the offer right?

I think what it means is the offers have been reduced (the offer you’ve received is probably already reduced) but I think it also means if you get very close to the offer they will be flexible and still accept you to the course
I think what it means is the offers have been reduced (the offer you’ve received is probably already reduced) but I think it also means if you get very close to the offer they will be flexible and still accept you to the course

I don't think really reduced my offer grades because AAA in uk = 85% in Canada , if they have reduce it, then I should be only needed 80% to get in
Guys now I am 84.66% is it likely I am going to get accepted?

Quick Reply

Latest