The Student Room Group

Would you date a...

I'm seeing a girl right now and she wasn't initially my type on paper but since I'm open to dating whoever, I went with it. I've recently discovered she studies History of Art/Art History as her degree and I'm feeling really turned off by it. Is this normal? Is this enough to make someone stop seeing her? Or am I just acting like a bit of a **** lmao?

Scroll to see replies

That’s definitely weird
Reply 2
Original post by Ihatewatermelons
That’s definitely weird

how is it weird? i thought its just a preference you cant change
Trust your gut instinct and listen to what your feelings are telling you. :smile:
Different people have very different attraction dealbreakers and relationship preferences.
If you have a dealbreaker connected to educational background, degrees or employment- that's fine.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm seeing a girl right now and she wasn't initially my type on paper but since I'm open to dating whoever, I went with it. I've recently discovered she studies History of Art/Art History as her degree and I'm feeling really turned off by it. Is this normal? Is this enough to make someone stop seeing her? Or am I just acting like a bit of a **** lmao?

ngl yeah that's pretty weird but maybe you should give her a shot
Reply 5

you are nitpicking.

women tend to do that with men they are not that into and find faults with everything. faults they would not even see or readily overlook if they were more attracted to him.

I'm assuming you're a male so I guess men do it too with girls they're not that into
Original post by koiinoyok4n
ngl yeah that's pretty weird but maybe you should give her a shot

Especially the OP might be her first
It's up to you. You're allowed to have whatever preferences and dealbreakers you want. She isn't entitled to a relationship.
High Society types usually study that degree, its all good :wink:
Reminds of when I tell guys I study FurtherMaths at a level, I tend to find it scares off the insecure guys lmfao..
(edited 2 years ago)
It's up to you. You're allowed to have whatever preferences and dealbreakers you want. She isn't entitled to a relationship.

PRSOM.
Original post by Qxi.xli
Reminds of when I tell guys I study FurtherMaths at a level, I tend to find it scares off the insecure guys lmfao..

That's never happened to me they just look impressed and continue the conversation
If that's enough to turn you off, you were probably looking for an excuse already.

You really need to get to know her more.
That's never happened to me they just look impressed and continue the conversation

That was a bit of an exaggeration ngl, but you get what I'm trying to say about the OP here lol.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Qxi.xli
That was a bit of an exaggeration ngl, but you get what I'm trying to say about the OP here lol.

I don't have an overly strong view on this tbh.

But to play devil's advocate slightly, surely OP's allowed to have preferences and dealbreakers? A girl isn't entitled to a relationship just because she studies an "academic subject".
Original post by Qxi.xli

i would rather she studied something like that. an intensive/"smart" course like CompSci, Engineering, Medicine, Business (like me.) I want to have a more that capable girl tbh and taking a degree like history of art just seems like she puts her heart over her head because she has a safety net to fall back onto.
A girl isn't entitled to a relationship just because she studies an "academic subject".

I never said that or implied that lol.
Original post by ANM775
you are nitpicking.

women tend to do that with men they are not that into and find faults with everything. faults they would not even see or readily overlook if they were more attracted to him.

I'm assuming you're a male so I guess men do it too with girls they're not that into

Original post by Theloniouss
If that's enough to turn you off, you were probably looking for an excuse already.

my bad, I'm starting to think I was already looking for an excuse before I started even dating her. Little things she did like phrases she would say would just strike me as annoying and I wouldn't want to talk to her. And i wouldn't like to initiate conversation either
I'm curious what about if she's studying business and management? Are you against any nonscience subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending