The Student Room Group

Should I ask my girlfriend if we can sleep in different rooms?

I can't sleep in the same room as her as she snores really loudly and farts in her sleep too. We share a double bed and it's just making things too hard and it's gotten to a point where I feel very tired every day pretty much. Even when I went to work I was just so exhausted and couldn't concentrate or work hard enough as I was just so tired. We both share an apartment and go to the same Uni and this has affected me even when it comes to Uni. I can't concentrate on the work I need to complete due to being so tired and exhausted from the night before where I would barely and sometimes not sleep at all due to my girlfriend snoring and farting.

I just don't think I can do this anymore so I'm wondering if I can ask her if we can sleep in different rooms? She can keep the room we both sleep in right now whereas I'll go sleep in the other room, so that way I'll be able to sleep properly and not be tired every single day. Anyways, thoughts on this? Should I ask her if we can? She moved in my apartment btw so it's not like I can move to another apartment if that didn't work and I don't want to upset her so I probs won't ask her to move apartments because of something like snoring and farting in her sleep, therefore like I said should I ask if we can sleep in different rooms or is that offensive/bad to ask? For sure though I can't continue sleeping like this otherwise I'll be lucky if I even pass my Uni degree let alone get a decent grade.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And then her farting obviously just doesn't smell pleasant at all making it harder for me to sleep too.
I think sleeping in different rooms would be better for you so you should ask her. Hopefully she'll understand :smile:
What has she done to address her snoring?
Is she overweight? Does she have breathing issues/hayfever?
Reply 4
Original post by agnos987
I think sleeping in different rooms would be better for you so you should ask her. Hopefully she'll understand :smile:

Yeah that's what I think too but I don't know if she would react badly by this or not

Original post by Nautilus
What has she done to address her snoring?
Is she overweight? Does she have breathing issues/hayfever?

None of the above. She just snores idk why but she just does. I know quote a lot of people that do and are none of what you said too like a lot of my friends and even my brother.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah that's what I think too but I don't know if she would react badly by this or not

but surely it's impacting you and your mental health, as well as uni and so would be more important than worrying if she will react badly to it? She will have to understand, even if she doesn't like it (sorry if I'm coming off as harsh).
Reply 6
but surely it's impacting you and your mental health, as well as uni and so would be more important than worrying if she will react badly to it? She will have to understand, even if she doesn't like it (sorry if I'm coming off as harsh).

True yeah, you are right, I'll have to move rooms for sure.
If someone farts a lot, it is likely a diet problem. Either she eats really crap food, or she has one of those eccentric 'superfood' diets that turns you into a methane factory.
Have you tried earplugs?
Just be honest and tell her straight up that you can't sleep in the same room as her if she's farting and snoring very loudly.
Original post by NonIndigenous
If someone farts a lot, it is likely a diet problem. Either she eats really crap food, or she has one of those eccentric 'superfood' diets that turns you into a methane factory.

Probably tbf she did say she has a fast metabolism and eats what she wants and stays lean

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Have you tried earplugs?

Tried and that doesn't work. Can still hear her and plus I can still smell her farts and obviously it's not pleasing to smell.

Original post by shooonthebeat
Just be honest and tell her straight up that you can't sleep in the same room as her if she's farting and snoring very loudly.

Yeah I think I will do that. Hopefully she doesn't take it the wrong way but if I do any longer like this it's not gonna be good at all
Probably tbf she did say she has a fast metabolism and eats what she wants and stays lean

Fast metabolism isn't necessary fast forever.
Original post by NonIndigenous
Fast metabolism isn't necessary fast forever.

True but hers is ridiculously quick rn especially compared to me. Ours are kinda like the opposite. Because mine is quite slow I tend to just eat healthy so I don't gain weight rapidly. With her she eats what she wants. Sometimes healthy sometimes not.
I think she'll understand. Your health is more important
Love her, love her gas.
Reply 15
Suggesting sleeping in different rooms is unlikely to go down well. Invest in ear plugs or end it.
Original post by Moonlight rain

Hopefully, I'll update tomorrow once I've told her as she isn't here yet

Original post by betway6
Love her, love her gas.

😂

Original post by Zarek
Suggesting sleeping in different rooms is unlikely to go down well. Invest in ear plugs or end it.

Can still hear her even with ear plugs and even then ear plugs don't get rid of the smell of her farting. Should I at least try to suggest it and if she doesn't like it then we split? Because I can't sleep like this for much longer
Reply 17
Can still hear her even with ear plugs and even then ear plugs don't get rid of the smell of her farting. Should I at least try to suggest it and if she doesn't like it then we split? Because I can't sleep like this for much longer

Noise cancelling headphones and a gas mask perhaps
Original post by Zarek
Noise cancelling headphones and a gas mask perhaps

I doubt I'd be able to sleep with those tbh. Besides, I told her today and she wasn't happy about it. What do I do now, do you think breaking up is the best idea?
Original post by agnos987

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Have you tried earplugs?

Original post by shooonthebeat

Original post by Moonlight rain

I told her that I want to sleep in a different room to her and she wasn't happy by it at all. What do I do now? She's saying that I clearly 'don't love her'. For sure I can't go much longer sharing a bed with her as it just physically and mentally drains me because I barely/sometimes never get any sleep. Do you guys think I should just end the relationship? As she said she doesn't want to be with someone who doesn't want to sleep with her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending