The Student Room Group

Please help

Our mum isn't being very supportive. She just always finds something to complain about even if everything is right. She's not being supportive of me or anyone. My brother quit 6th form in September, he was going to be doing a levels if he did stay but he did business, he had anxiety in year 11 and got a doctor for it because he was just so anxious coughing etc before school. He wasn't going to school then covid came and then no one was going. Then August came, he got predicted grades from school for his GCSEs and they were all high so he applied to 6th form but I think only because our mum wanted him to and then he quit after a few days. He was anxious for it, he didn't get up one day and said he's not going back so our dad was supportive because he wanted to do business but our mum went livid and so unsupportive. He wasn't happy with 6th form and 6th form isn't for everyone. Our mum just causes arguments over it out of no where she'll start arguing with my brother or dad.

He's making money from business, he gave her presents and she complains. She just lashes out and stuff at us. I know she might want the best for him but he was anxious in school and he's not sitting at home doing nothing. I just think our mum should be supportive because all she does right now is complains about not just him like everyone. She isn't happy with me either, I'm doing an apprenticeship and she says to me I should get a job part-time even though I'm doing an apprenticeship most days.
Perhaps stress has been getting the best of her.
Reply 2
Original post by SlaveofAll
Perhaps stress has been getting the best of her.

Shes always been like this though
Reply 3
???
I think under the age of 16, there is a drive to try and impress your parents. But after that, there's no real need to seek validation. Youve said your mum has never been supportive so there cant be any surprise about her behaviour.

Also, if your brother is quite the businessman, he can probably look after himself. He's making his own decisions, sounds like he's his own person despite her interference.

Both of you are in employment, your parents influence should be be waning or you should have developed strategies and resilience in dealing with a negative person.

Perhaps now is the appropriate time to strive for independence since the generation gap cannot be bridged.

Who wants live with a sulky mum as an adult male?!

Move out. Move on. Move forward. Move onwards. Your mum is not going to change. You are adults now.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I think under the age of 16, there is a drive to try and impress your parents. But after that, there's no real need to seek validation. Youve said your mum has never been supportive so there cant be any surprise about her behaviour.

Also, if your brother is quite the businessman, he can probably look after himself. He's making his own decisions, sounds like he's his own person despite her interference.

Both of you are in employment, your parents influence should be be waning or you should have developed strategies and resilience in dealing with a negative person.

Perhaps now is the appropriate time to strive for independence since the generation gap cannot be bridged.

Who wants live with a sulky mum as an adult male?!

Move out. Move on. Move forward. Move onwards. Your mum is not going to change. You are adults now.

Hes not an adult yet, I would move out but my mum would be left with the family which might be dangerous, she caused a car accident once over my brother quitting school
Hes not an adult yet, I would move out but my mum would be left with the family which might be dangerous, she caused a car accident once over my brother quitting school

Looks like youve just to put up with her criticism then.
Reply 7
Looks like youve just to put up with her criticism then.

Atm I am but its hard
Shes always been like this though

Let someone who can handle her deal with her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending