The Student Room Group

Should we close all universities that are outside the top 10?

Just a thought, are the other universities worth it and if you answer, why do you agree/disagree with my statement?

Scroll to see replies

Ah, but first you would have to decide which universities are in the top 10 and which subjects you are going to prioritise.:colone:
Reply 2
Original post by glassalice
Ah, but first you would have to decide which universities are in the top 10 and which subjects you are going to prioritise.:colone:

Subject wise, nothing. Universities: Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, KCL, Warwick, St Andrews, Bristol, Durham, and York
So what happens to the people who dont meet the entry requirements of the top 10?
And courses which may not be offered by all of them e.g. nursing, veterinary medicine, dentistry...
No, of course not.
Reply 6
I would definitely disagree because what constitutes a top 10 university would be hard to quantify.

It would be better to take the ex-polys and demote them back to polytechnics and take subjects that don't really have an academic flair such as nursing and architecture and teach them in polytechniques.

That way we will have more people learning trades, which will solve the national shortage of electricians, plumbers and other skilled labourers. Instead of now where nobody is learning necessary trades and we have hundreds of thousands of students earning degrees that they won't end up using.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Just a thought, are the other universities worth it and if you answer, why do you agree/disagree with my statement?

What made you come up with this thought as it's not a very good one?
this is so dumb lmao
you obviously have no idea how many students apply to uni each year op, and the sheer number of subjects that the top ten dont accommodate
the Russell group are over 20 unis which have the highest research commitments etc. how do you define the top ten then?
league tables are very subjective
Subject wise, nothing. Universities: Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, KCL, Warwick, St Andrews, Bristol, Durham, and York

Ultimately you are (unintentionally) prioritising some subjects over other subjects though. For example, UEA has one of the best creative writing departments in the UK.
Individual universities often have subject areas that they are significantly stronger in.

this is so dumb lmao

And OP knows it. Only cowards misuse anon.

Original post by Tinders
I would definitely disagree because what constitutes a top 10 university would be hard to quantify.

It would be better to take the ex-polys and demote them back to polytechnics and take subjects that don't really have an academic flair such as nursing and architecture and teach them in polytechniques.

That way we will have more people learning trades, which will solve the national shortage of electricians, plumbers and other skilled labourers. Instead of now where nobody is learning necessary trades and we have hundreds of thousands of students earning degrees that they won't end up using.

What was the difference between a poly and a university?

strongly disagree. this is dumb lmao
Original post by glassalice
Ultimately you are (unintentionally) prioritising some subjects over other subjects though. For example, UEA has one of the best creative writing departments in the UK.
Individual universities often have subject areas that they are significantly stronger in.

And OP knows it. Only cowards misuse anon.

What was the difference between a poly and a university?

A poly offers vocational subjects whereas universities offer academic subjects.

For instance, if you were to take nursing at a Poly instead of sitting around writing essays which nurses don't do, you would learn nursing by working in a hospital. You would be in a hospital for 3-4 days and in a classroom for 1 or 2. Meaning you actually learn how to be a nurse whilst on your nursing course. Nursing degrees nowadays teach you the academic side of nursing and then you spend your entire summer working 13 hour days on placement in a hospital which makes no sense.

Most polys were upgraded to universities by Tony Blair, and the result is that half of all young people now goes to university when few people actually need to go to universitiy.
Original post by Tinders

For instance, if you were to take nursing at a Poly instead of sitting around writing essays which nurses don't do, you would learn nursing by working in a hospital. You would be in a hospital for 3-4 days and in a classroom for 1 or 2. Meaning you actually learn how to be a nurse whilst on your nursing course. Nursing degrees nowadays teach you the academic side of nursing and then you spend your entire summer working 13 hour days on placement in a hospital which makes no sense.

Most polys were upgraded to universities by Tony Blair, and the result is that half of all young people now goes to university when few people actually need to go to universitiy.

I mean... so like a polytechnic would be say, York St John and then the other university is the University of York? I am a bit confused.... personally I think any university opens doors, no matter what the degree tbh
Original post by Rosessta3rs7
I mean... so like a polytechnic would be say, York St John and then the other university is the University of York? I am a bit confused.... personally I think any university opens doors, no matter what the degree tbh

btw why do you think polytechnics aren't worth it?

This is not accurate - you can't study some subjects at any of these. This is a very silly idea.

So no universities from Wales or Northern Ireland? How very thoughtful of you...
Original post by Tinders

This is not correct.
Original post by Rosessta3rs7

No, Both York St John and Uni of York are universities in their own right. For instance, Brighton University is an ex-poly.

Basically, pretty much all ex-polys became universities. There aren't really any polytechnics left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending