The Student Room Group

Should I do UCAT or BMAT even tho I'm considering a gap year

As the title says I did pretty bad in my PPE my predictions are likely A*CC/A*BC (highly doubt I'm getting that B but to be hopeful I guess). Most of the departments in my skl are having re-sits in December but the whole sciences department isn't but I feel like my teacher may have been hinting that he'd change his mind and maybe do a re-sit then. But then again that's unlikely. So.im thinking of taking a Gap year, but I don't know if I should still do UCAT & BMAT eventho ik no Unis will give me offers for.medicine with these grades. So.currently in a dilemma.
Original post by Irresponsible
As the title says I did pretty bad in my PPE my predictions are likely A*CC/A*BC (highly doubt I'm getting that B but to be hopeful I guess). Most of the departments in my skl are having re-sits in December but the whole sciences department isn't but I feel like my teacher may have been hinting that he'd change his mind and maybe do a re-sit then. But then again that's unlikely. So.im thinking of taking a Gap year, but I don't know if I should still do UCAT & BMAT eventho ik no Unis will give me offers for.medicine with these grades. So.currently in a dilemma.

BMAT is only needed for university of Leeds if your only applying in the UK every other Uni will require the UCAT
Original post by Wally2018
BMAT is only needed for university of Leeds if your only applying in the UK every other Uni will require the UCAT

But I'm pretty sure I heard imperial and UCL take BMAT. Or do you have to do BMAT + UCAT. Also do u think I should do it this year cuz I plan on taking the gap year next year when I'm doing my A-Levels.
Original post by Wally2018

This is only applicable to dentistry. OP wants to do medicine.
But I'm pretty sure I heard imperial and UCL take BMAT. Or do you have to do BMAT + UCAT. Also do u think I should do it this year cuz I plan on taking the gap year next year when I'm doing my A-Levels.

I think the user who responded to you was confusing dentistry admissions with medicine. See my message above.
As the title says I did pretty bad in my PPE my predictions are likely A*CC/A*BC (highly doubt I'm getting that B but to be hopeful I guess). Most of the departments in my skl are having re-sits in December but the whole sciences department isn't but I feel like my teacher may have been hinting that he'd change his mind and maybe do a re-sit then. But then again that's unlikely.*So.im*thinking of taking a Gap year, but I don't know if I should still do UCAT & BMAT eventho ik no Unis will give me offers for.medicine with these grades. So.currently in a dilemma.

Repost cuz no one was really answering my question in the first post
You could check out some foundation year medicine courses with lower entry requirements, unis such as Nottingham offer this. You could also consider applying to unis that do not consider predicted grades whatsoever. Please do some research before making a choice! If you find courses suitable for yourself, be sure to sit the entrance exams
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous778
You could check out some foundation year medicine courses with lower entry requirements, unis such as Nottingham offer this. You could also consider applying to unis that do not consider predicted grades whatsoever. Please do some research before making a choice! If you find courses suitable for yourself, be sure to sit the entrance exams

Foundation year courses are for those with Widening Particiaption flags, not general entry and you cannot apply just because you do not have the grades for standard entry.

As the title says I did pretty bad in my PPE my predictions are likely A*CC/A*BC (highly doubt I'm getting that B but to be hopeful I guess). Most of the departments in my skl are having re-sits in December but the whole sciences department isn't but I feel like my teacher may have been hinting that he'd change his mind and maybe do a re-sit then. But then again that's unlikely.*So.im*thinking of taking a Gap year, but I don't know if I should still do UCAT & BMAT eventho ik no Unis will give me offers for.medicine with these grades. So.currently in a dilemma.

Repost cuz no one was really answering my question in the first post

It is against TSR rules to double post, and you have only given people 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon before doing so.

If you have the funds, you can sit the exams as part of a practice run, as most people do better on a second time of sitting (at least for UCAT). If you believe you can get at least AAA, you can apply this year to the few places that do not look at predicted A levels, but December resits would be too late to change predicted grades for the Oct deadline.
Original post by GANFYD
Foundation year courses are for those with Widening Particiaption flags, not general entry and you cannot apply just because you do not have the grades for standard entry.

It is against TSR rules to double post, and you have only given people 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon before doing so.

If you have the funds, you can sit the exams as part of a practice run, as most people do better on a second time of sitting (at least for UCAT). If you believe you can get at least AAA, you can apply this year to the few places that do not look at predicted A levels, but December resits would be too late to change predicted grades for the Oct deadline.

Oh sorry I didn't know. And yeah I might do it as a practice run.
I have merged both your threads, as there is no need to have 2!

@GANFYD is spot on as usual. It may also be worth sitting UCAT so if/when you do get AAA, you can look at medicine courses in clearing on results day,
Reply 9
I am considering doing this too, did u end up considering a gap year in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending