The Student Room Group

Is this cheating?

Sorry for the 'clickbait-ey' title but basically, I did some end of year tests and half way through the holidays, my friend made a group chat with about 3 other friends to discuss papers that might come up. She shared the papers for three tests and said that they would probably come up and even if not, it would still be a good idea to do them as revision.
My method of revision is that I do the paper, and check the mark scheme. Anything I find difficult, I memorise off the mark scheme. I did this and the paper was indeed the exam. I got my marks back today and I got 78/81
I feel so so much guilt for what I did, even though it technically is just revising.
My teacher even realised I did some of the questions that showed up, and when someone said 'that's why she got so high' my teacher said that it wasn't my fault that I revised.
But regardless, I'm just overcome with guilt, I'm not even joking. My friends said it wasn't cheating, but idk what to do. Can someone please help I feel bad to tell my parent my high score, even though I revised.:frown:
It's even worse cuz it was two other tests.

TL;DR
I feel incredibly guilty for getting a high number, what do I do to ease the guilt?
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry for the 'clickbait-ey' title but basically, I did some end of year tests and half way through the holidays, my friend made a group chat with about 3 other friends to discuss papers that might come up. She shared the papers for three tests and said that they would probably come up and even if not, it would still be a good idea to do them as revision.
My method of revision is that I do the paper, and check the mark scheme. Anything I find difficult, I memorise off the mark scheme. I did this and the paper was indeed the exam. I got my marks back today and I got 78/81
I feel so so much guilt for what I did, even though it technically is just revising.
My teacher even realised I did some of the questions that showed up, and when someone said 'that's why she got so high' my teacher said that it wasn't my fault that I revised.
But regardless, I'm just overcome with guilt, I'm not even joking. My friends said it wasn't cheating, but idk what to do. Can someone please help I feel bad to tell my parent my high score, even though I revised.:frown:

TL;DR
I feel incredibly guilty for getting a high number, what do I do to ease the guilt?

No your totally fine I had an exam at uni and the exact same question as I'd revised the day before came up I answered it and got good marks I wouldn't say thats cheating I'd say it's a good revision stratergy.
Reply 2
Original post by jonathanemptage
No your totally fine I had an exam at uni and the exact same question as I'd revised the day before came up I answered it and got good marks I wouldn't say thats cheating I'd say it's a good revision stratergy.

Thank you so much for reading the whole thing! I really appreciate it:smile:
Did any of your teachers realise? My answers were close to the actual mark scheme and I'm just drowning in guilt and fear because I don't think I deserved such a high mark:redface:

TL;DR

Doing past papers are always and always will be part of essentially everyone's revision. It is not your fault that you were prepared and wanted to practise doing exam questions and get used to answering the type of answers examiners expect. Not to be condescending, but your teacher is somewhat to be blamed. At least the school I go to, my teacher would at least put together a paper comprised of many past paper questions over the years, not literally give you an actual paper from one year.

You asked what you can do? If you feel that you haven't done enough to get that grade, then there is absolutely nothing wrong to do more revision after exams! Or think of it as an early preparation for any future ones. The fact that your classmates were trying to take away your credit for revising is absolutely disgraceful but there's always a type of person in the class that would say that kind of things. So for your own sake, don't listen to them.

What I suggest is, tell your parents the full story because that way they'll understand the situation better and trust me, they'll definitely be there for you no matter what.

Hope this answer your question!
It's your school's fault really. They shouldn't be setting past papers that students can access. However, I'm not sure that memorising mark schemes is a normal revision technique and you presumably were hoping that they'd come up.

Ultimately, unless it was a real exam, the only person who loses when you know the paper already is you so I wouldn't bother feeling bad about it.
If they are published papers, not leaked ones, then you are not cheating.
Reply 6
Original post by MakesSense
Doing past papers are always and always will be part of essentially everyone's revision. It is not your fault that you were prepared and wanted to practise doing exam questions and get used to answering the type of answers examiners expect. Not to be condescending, but your teacher is somewhat to be blamed. At least the school I go to, my teacher would at least put together a paper comprised of many past paper questions over the years, not literally give you an actual paper from one year.

You asked what you can do? If you feel that you haven't done enough to get that grade, then there is absolutely nothing wrong to do more revision after exams! Or think of it as an early preparation for any future ones. The fact that your classmates were trying to take away your credit for revising is absolutely disgraceful but there's always a type of person in the class that would say that kind of things. So for your own sake, don't listen to them.

What I suggest is, tell your parents the full story because that way they'll understand the situation better and trust me, they'll definitely be there for you no matter what.

Hope this answer your question!

Thank you:smile:
I thought the test would be a mix too. How do I deal with mu other two tests, when I get very high marks?

Original post by Theloniouss
It's your school's fault really. They shouldn't be setting past papers that students can access. However, I'm not sure that memorising mark schemes is a normal revision technique and you presumably were hoping that they'd come up.

Ultimately, unless it was a real exam, the only person who loses when you know the paper already is you so I wouldn't bother feeling bad about it.

Thank you for the reply. It wasn't for a real qualification, just mocks, but apparently they aren't even that important. Still, how do I cope with the the other two exams?
Reply 7
Original post by BlackLab
If they are published papers, not leaked ones, then you are not cheating.

They are from a revision website.

Memorising mark schemes is normal. How do you think you would answer definition questions? You don't want to waste time writing things that won't be accounted for. Ultimately, you're trying to think like the person marking, not you waffling about a pile of things they don't expect.

If it makes anyone feel better, avoid doing papers that you "think" is going to come up because each exam is an opportunity for you to practice under exam conditions. Seems like this time, he learnt that mark scheme answers get you anywhere!
(edited 2 years ago)
Memorising mark schemes is normal. How do you think you would answer definition questions? You don't want to waste time writing things that won't be accounted for. Ultimately, you're trying to think like the person marking, not you waffling about a pile a things they don't expect.

If it makes anyone feel better, avoid doing papers that you "think" is going to come up because each exam is an opportunity for you to practice under exam conditions. Seems like this time, he learnt that mark scheme answers get you anywhere!

Oh, sure. If it's a definition that's normal - for longer answers, I'm not sure it is since you're unlikely to get an identical question when there are 4+ marks available.
Thank you:smile:
I thought the test would be a mix too. How do I deal with mu other two tests, when I get very high marks?

Thank you for the reply. It wasn't for a real qualification, just mocks, but apparently they aren't even that important. Still, how do I cope with the the other two exams?

Well, there's nothing you can do that'll change the marks on those papers. I guess, try not to worry too much about the marks.
Oh, sure. If it's a definition that's normal - for longer answers, I'm not sure it is since you're unlikely to get an identical question when there are 4+ marks available.

That depends what subject it is. If it's chemistry, the theory applied is the same so technically, you're still using the mark scheme's answer. But for essay-typed subjects, of course not.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry. If they are mock exams, then you definitely don't need to feel guilty - especially if the papers were free to access!

I just had a physics mock which was made up entirely of questions from the practice papers our teacher gave us - I felt guilty, but the papers were available for us to use, so we did nothing immoral.
My teacher said that it wasn't my fault for revising. Do you think I should tell my year leader? I feel so guilty, even though I did nothing wrong...

Original post by thealphabetsays
Honestly, I wouldn't worry. If they are mock exams, then you definitely don't need to feel guilty - especially if the papers were free to access!

I just had a physics mock which was made up entirely of questions from the practice papers our teacher gave us - I felt guilty, but the papers were available for us to use, so we did nothing immoral.

That depends what subject it is. If it's chemistry, the theory applied is the same so technically, you're still using the mark scheme's answer. But for essay-typed subjects, of course not.

Did any of your teachers realise? My answers were close to the actual mark scheme and I'm just drowning in guilt and fear because I don't think I deserved such a high mark:redface:

Which 'apapers' were these? If they were locked papers then, yes, you have cheated.

They said they will often reuse a couple of questions so we kind of knew it was going to happen it really will be ok you did well.
Original post by Muttley79
Which 'papers' were these? If they were locked papers then, yes, you have cheated.

not locked, my friends just gave me practice questions. I didn't cheat, but I feel bad.
not locked, my friends just gave me practice questions. I didn't cheat, but I feel bad.

Which papers were they from though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending