The Student Room Group

Is it worth studying for BMAT?

I am in year 11 and I have never studied physics gcse. I also got a 6 in my maths gcse and I had a look at the bmat questions which made me terrified. I really want to go to UCL and BSMS for medicine but they require me to do the BMAT and I’m afraid I will not do well since I do not know any physics and my maths is bad. For a levels I will do bio, chem and probably eng lit and an EPQ. I know for a fact I will struggle and I want to know if its worth learning gcse content at the same time as doing very hard a levels. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it.
Well, for both those schools, the early BMAT is likely to be back by 2022 so why not take it early then see if your score would be enough? If you don't take it you'll never know.

Worth bearing in mind that if you get all the biology and chemistry questions right on S2, you'll probably still do pretty well. I did the BMAT without taking Maths or Physics to A level (although I did well in both GCSEs) and it is feasible although you will have to revise the content prior. Obviously getting AAA is the most important thing so I wouldn't revise maths and physics in term time to the detriment of your A levels, but you should definitely have time over the holidays to refresh your knowledge and ensure you can do easier questions. This may be quite a lot with an EPQ as well though.
Reply 2
Original post by becausethenight
Well, for both those schools, the early BMAT is likely to be back by 2022 so why not take it early then see if your score would be enough? If you don't take it you'll never know.

Worth bearing in mind that if you get all the biology and chemistry questions right on S2, you'll probably still do pretty well. I did the BMAT without taking Maths or Physics to A level (although I did well in both GCSEs) and it is feasible although you will have to revise the content prior. Obviously getting AAA is the most important thing so I wouldn't revise maths and physics in term time to the detriment of your A levels, but you should definitely have time over the holidays to refresh your knowledge and ensure you can do easier questions. This may be quite a lot with an EPQ as well though.

Thank you so much! I have absolutely zero knowledge of physics so do you recommend I learn the basics of physics during the summer holidays so I’m not completely confused when it comes to the easy physics questions on the bmat? Also do I need to learn the physics equations?
Original post by Aj123456aj
Thank you so much! I have absolutely zero knowledge of physics so do you recommend I learn the basics of physics during the summer holidays so I’m not completely confused when it comes to the easy physics questions on the bmat? Also do I need to learn the physics equations?

I would go over the BMAT Physics spec - you can use BBC Bitsize physics to learn the content, or YouTube videos aimed at GCSE. It's definitely worth going over it in the summer, yeah.
I believe you do need to learn some equations, check the spec :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by becausethenight
I would go over the BMAT Physics spec - you can use BBC Bitsize physics to learn the content, or YouTube videos aimed at GCSE. It's definitely worth going over it in the summer, yeah.
I believe you do need to learn some equations, check the spec :smile:

Okay, thanks! :smile:
Original post by Aj123456aj
Okay, thanks! :smile:

:goodluck:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending