The Student Room Group

FM1 question

Hii please could someone help me with part b :frown:Capture.PNG
thank youu
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm just getting confused because e<0<=1 and we're told that 0<lambda<1/2, and I don't know which one I'm supposed to use, if that makes sense?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Qxi.xli
I'm just getting confused because e<0<=1 and we're told that 0<lambda<1/2, and I don't know which one I'm supposed to use, if that makes sense?

can you post what you've tried?
Original post by Muttley79
can you post what you've tried?

I mean I've tried equating the answer from part a, but it just turned into a mess and I wasn't getting anywhere near the answer.
how would I start it?
Original post by Qxi.xli
I mean I've tried equating the answer from part a, but it just turned into a mess and I wasn't getting anywhere near the answer.
how would I start it?

Just do conservation of momentum equation and e x approach speed = separation speed

I got (a) from these. then use the restrictions ...
(edited 2 years ago)
Just do conservation of momentum equation and e x approach speed = separation speed

I got (a) from these.

oh I've got the answer to part a, I'm stuck on b?
Original post by Qxi.xli
oh I've got the answer to part a, I'm stuck on b?

I edited my post - I rearranged the expression for e to get k.
I edited my post - I rearranged the expression for e to get k.

which restrictions do I use?
there are two? e<0<=1 and 0<lambda<1/2? Do I need to use both? If so which one should I start with? :frown:
Original post by Qxi.xli
there are two? e<0<=1 and 0<lambda<1/2? Do I need to use both? If so which one should I start with? :frown:

Well you want to find the minimum value of k, if that helps?
Original post by Qxi.xli

I used e as I said and got an inequality for k - it might not be the only approach
Original post by laurawatt
Well you want to find the minimum value of k, if that helps?

no, still confused lol :frown:
i mean λ<1/2 is the smallest?
I used e as I said and got an inequality for k - it might not be the only approach

ok thanks, but if you had used the other inequality and got the correct answer, would you still get all the marks? x
Original post by Qxi.xli
ok thanks, but if you had used the other inequality and got the correct answer, would you still get all the marks? x

Getting an expression for e seems the logical approach as you've done that for (a) - I haven't tried getting an expression for lambda but it looks more tricky
Original post by Qxi.xli

@mqb2766 ^ sorry for tagging you, please could you help😭 I just keep getting questions like these wrong ):
Original post by Qxi.xli
@mqb2766 ^ sorry for tagging you, please could you help😭 I just keep getting questions like these wrong ):

What do you get when you rearrange the inequality
e < 1
In terms of k?

Note, your original e < 0 < 1 isn't right as I'm sure you realize, it should be 0 < e < 1. The 0 < e is trivially satisfied (the numerator & denominator is positive) so just consider e < 1.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
What do you get when you rearrange the inequality
e < 1
In terms of k?

Note, your original e < 0 < 1 isn't right as I'm sure you realize, it should be 0 < e < 1. The 0 < e is trivially satisfied (the numerator & denominator is positive) so just consider e < 1.

that gives 1<k(-2λ +1)

oh yeah sorry, that was a typo.
so in questions like this, we always ignore the 0<e?
because if I had re-arranged e>0, it gives that gives kλ>-1. Isn't that important information? idk :smile:
Original post by Qxi.xli
that gives 1<k(-2λ +1)

oh yeah sorry, that was a typo.
so in questions like this, we always ignore the 0<e?
because if I had re-arranged e>0, it gives that gives kλ>-1. Isn't that important information? idk :smile:

Thats (both) correct. For e > 0, k and lambda are both > 0, so
k*lambda > 0 > -1
So trivially satisfied, so not important for this question.

Note that when lambda=0, e=1 and k=1, this was essentially a Newton's cradle question where a moving ball collides with a stationary, identical ball and the first ball is brought to a complete halt and transfers all its velocity to the second ball. This is the scenario that gives the k=1 condition.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
k*lambda > 0 > -1

Note that when lambda=0, e=1 and k=1, this was essentially a Newton's cradle question where a moving ball collides with a stationary, identical ball and the first ball is brought to a complete halt and transfers all its velocity to the second ball. This is the scenario that gives the k=1 condition.

hang on sorry where did you get this from?

ohh wow nice that's cool
Original post by mqb2766
k*lambda > 0 > -1

Also, what do I do after that bit? where do I use this 0<lambda<1/2 lol😭
Original post by Qxi.xli
Also, what do I do after that bit? where do I use this 0<lambda<1/2 lol😭

What did you get as your inequality for k? Then you use the lambda part .... post your working.

Quick Reply

Latest