The Student Room Group

psychology alevel- AQA

anyone doing psychology at a level? if so, how is it? how difficult is it? what should i know before picking it?
Reply 1
Original post by aajere
anyone doing psychology at a level? if so, how is it? how difficult is it? what should i know before picking it?

it's a lot of memorisation, and i'd suggest making ur notes as you go along. however, if you do understand the content and have memorised it the exams are alright. the as topics you study are more boring compared to the a2 ones so that's something you should consider too.
It is quite content heavy but overlaps in content help to reduce the amount to revise. Each 16 mark essay has one of 2 set structures (application and no application) so you could try to plan non-application essays (more evaluation points) for each topic. There is a bit of maths but it's really simple. Having an okay understanding of biology will help with biopsychology. I made quizlets for each chapter. Research methods makes up a large part of the course so make sure you go over this regularly.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have about it
Original post by aajere

I have literally just had my last psychology lesson. Best subject. I wouldn't say it's very difficult at all to be honest, especially if you take shortcuts (in most cases you can honestly say "a 2002 study" or just "researchers have found" rather than having to learn every single name in the textbook). I think it's great, but you should probably check the syllabus to make sure it's what you expect, and see what optional topics your school does.
Reply 4
ahh okay, thank you for the advice!!
Original post by ashtolga23
I have literally just had my last psychology lesson. Best subject. I wouldn't say it's very difficult at all to be honest, especially if you take shortcuts (in most cases you can honestly say "a 2002 study" or just "researchers have found" rather than having to learn every single name in the textbook). I think it's great, but you should probably check the syllabus to make sure it's what you expect, and see what optional topics your school does.

How did you revise for A Level Psychology? I just had my mock and got a B, one mark away from an A and my revision was legit just writing every spread and repeating it so many times till I couldn’t forget.
Original post by Louis4002
How did you revise for A Level Psychology? I just had my mock and got a B, one mark away from an A and my revision was legit just writing every spread and repeating it so many times till I couldn’t forget.

TES do some great resources, I paid for a few (only around £3) during my exams and they had pretty much everything you need to know. After you read through the study/theory, there is a list of past paper questions to answer. I was literally failing before this so it really helped me. Got an A in the end :smile:

I have a lot of info in this thread but let me know if you have any questions that it doesn't answer! :smile:
Ah, I did look at TES for politics, hate that subject so much. Ended up buying a £20 revision source that I barley use 😂
I have a lot of info in this thread but let me know if you have any questions that it doesn't answer! :smile:

Thanks a lot, this is basically essay plans but in a condensed form right? My teacher advises we do this too. I made essay plans but I feel it’s too late to delete everything and redo them in condensed form as year 12 is about to finish and I don’t know if i’ll even be bothered😂. But thanks a lot again
Ah, I did look at TES for politics, hate that subject so much. Ended up buying a £20 revision source that I barley use 😂

Oh haha that is me with most things I buy. If you find the right resource for the right price (look at the content to see if you are getting good value for money....maybe nothing past £5.....) The psychology ones I used were by Khadijaakter2705
Original post by Louise_f121
Oh haha that is me with most things I buy. If you find the right resource for the right price (look at the content to see if you are getting good value for money....maybe nothing past £5.....) The psychology ones I used were by Khadijaakter2705

Appreciate you taking time out of your day to
help, really grateful, honestly!

Another question is, when learning percentages for like key studies e.g cultural variations with krooneborg or social influence with asch’s studies, milgrans, zimbardo, how do you remember these key numbers and %’s. Also do you sometimes make your own AO3’s because what I tend to notice is you can be flexible with your evaluations for e.g the Little Albert study doesn’t have ethical guidelines as an AO3 but it could be seen as unethical and immoral due to the severity of stress and strain put on Albert at such a young age
Appreciate you taking time out of your day to
help, really grateful, honestly!

No problem! If you need any more help, feel free to ask :smile:
Thanks a lot, this is basically essay plans but in a condensed form right? My teacher advises we do this too. I made essay plans but I feel it’s too late to delete everything and redo them in condensed form as year 12 is about to finish and I don’t know if i’ll even be bothered😂. But thanks a lot again

It's kind of like an essay plan but obviously the information in it should cover any question you could be asked (not just essay ones).

Don't delete everything!! In fact my history teacher used to say that we should make long notes in class and the revision process should just be condensing them. It really shouldn't take very long with psychology; you just flick through and write a few words for each bullet point. Reading the information in order to choose the words is enough recap in my opinion, and the words you write should trigger all that information to flood back.

Anyway, I won't force you! Just thought I'd clarify what I mean :smile:

Another question is, when learning percentages for like key studies e.g cultural variations with krooneborg or social influence with asch’s studies, milgrans, zimbardo, how do you remember these key numbers and %’s. Also do you sometimes make your own AO3’s because what I tend to notice is you can be flexible with your evaluations for e.g the Little Albert study doesn’t have ethical guidelines as an AO3 but it could be seen as unethical and immoral due to the severity of stress and strain put on Albert at such a young age

Honestly I just remembered the percentages once I'd heard them enough times for the most part. Trust your instinct with it. You'd be surprised what your brain can store. Also, I find I remember conversations a lot more than just what I've read, so if you talk to people about the statistics then it's much easier to recall.

Very occasionally I'll make my own AO3s if I like them better, but most of the time I'm satisfied with either my teacher's or the revision guide's. Of course you can make your own as long as it makes sense and you're not just pulling them out of thin air. The textbook can't possibly explore every pro or con of studies, so yeah you can make your own, and it might even make you stand out a bit. Just make sure what you're saying is correct, and maybe ask a teacher on the specifics, like you've just told me with your Little Albert one (ethics is definitely an issue there by the way). I think it's easy to imagine that AO3 is all listed somewhere, but the mark scheme will allow for any indicative content, so that can be your own point.
(edited 2 years ago)
It's kind of like an essay plan but obviously the information in it should cover any question you could be asked (not just essay ones).

Don't delete everything!! In fact my history teacher used to say that we should make long notes in class and the revision process should just be condensing them. It really shouldn't take very long with psychology; you just flick through and write a few words for each bullet point. Reading the information in order to choose the words is enough recap in my opinion, and the words you write should trigger all that information to flood back.

Anyway, I won't force you! Just thought I'd clarify what I mean :smile:

Honestly I just remembered the percentages once I'd heard them enough times for the most part. Trust your instinct with it. You'd be surprised what your brain can store. Also, I find I remember conversations a lot more than just what I've read, so if you talk to people about the statistics then it's much easier to recall.

Very occasionally I'll make my own AO3s if I like them better, but most of the time I'm satisfied with either my teacher's or the revision guide's. Of course you can make your own as long as it makes sense and you're not just pulling them out of thin air. The textbook can't possibly explore every pro or con of studies, so yeah you can make your own, and it might even make you stand out a bit. Just make sure what you're saying is correct, and maybe ask a teacher on the specifics, like you've just told me with your Little Albert one (ethics is definitely an issue there by the way). I think it's easy to imagine that AO3 is all listed somewhere, but the mark scheme will allow for any indicative content, so that can be your own point.

Alright, appreciate you taking time out of your day to help I know it can’t be quite long to type these things out. Thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending