The Student Room Group

Did anyone ever prefer non-Oxbridge universities to Oxbridge?

Did anyone ever prefer non-Oxbridge universities to Oxbridge itself? For example, did anyone like Oxbridge at undergraduate level, but like another UK university even more at postgraduate level, and vice versa? Have Oxbridge students and graduates ever been curious, and even sad to reject offers, of other leading UK universities and have wondered what it would have been like attending them instead?
Original post by StarLinyx
Did anyone ever prefer non-Oxbridge universities to Oxbridge itself? For example, did anyone like Oxbridge at undergraduate level, but like another UK university even more at postgraduate level, and vice versa? Have Oxbridge students and graduates ever been curious, and even sad to reject offers, of other leading UK universities and have wondered what it would have been like attending them instead?

Yes. When I was applying, I considered about 6 non-Oxbridge unis. All of which (with the exception of Durham) had qualities I liked that, from what I can tell, are not found at Oxbridge. I didn't end up preferring any of them, but I can see why some people might.
Reply 2
Original post by Theloniouss
Yes. When I was applying, I considered about 6 non-Oxbridge unis. All of which (with the exception of Durham) had qualities I liked that, from what I can tell, are not found at Oxbridge. I didn't end up preferring any of them, but I can see why some people might.

Which ones were they? Bristol, Edinburgh?
Yes. But I'm still going to apply to Oxford as my first choice 😳 if I get the predicted grades
Reply 4
Original post by Qxi.xli
Yes. But I'm still going to apply to Oxford as my first choice 😳 if I get the predicted grades

Where is your back-up choice?
Original post by Qxi.xli

Ooo what course are you gonna apply for?
I wouldn't change having done my undergrad at Oxford for anything (I'd have been miserable as hell at my insurance choice), but I am glad in retrospect that I was pushed out for postgrad studies. I think I've really benefitted from attending three different unis for three different degrees, both personally and academically :yep: Oxbridge isn't everything for every subject (indeed, they don't offer every subject anyway :tongue: ) and it's important to take a holistic approach when weighing up whether it's the right uni for you :moon:
The Oxbridge medicine course wouldn't have suited me at all, with the focus on basic science and experiment design, so I certainly preferred basically any other medical school in the UK :biggrin:
I have friends studying medicine at Cambridge and hearing what they're up to I have no regrets about not applying, as I wouldn't have done well there.
Yes, my original preference for universities was: Imperial, Cambridge, UCL, KCL. I didn’t care for Oxford at all (apart from its history and architecture perhaps).

Although knowing what I know now about KCL, I’d swap it for Barts.
(edited 2 years ago)
Which ones were they? Bristol, Edinburgh?

St Andrews, Warwick, Lancaster, York, Dundee.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Yes, my original preference for universities was: Imperial, Cambridge, UCL, KCL. I didn’t care for Oxford at all (apart from its history and architecture perhaps).

Although knowing what I know now about KCL, I’d swap it for Barts.

what do you know about kcl now?:colondollar:

Original post by Oceanwater
Ooo what course are you gonna apply for?

Physics ew:redface:

Where is your back-up choice?

haven't decided yet haha
Original post by Qxi.xli

Course-specific stuff, not general uni stuff, so I doubt it would impact anyone else’s decision.
Reply 12
Original post by Qxi.xli

Physics ew:redface:

haven't decided yet haha

Is your profile photo real? It is very attractive. Physics - which ones are on your radar?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending