The Student Room Group

Leaving CAMHS

I’ve been in CAMHS for nearly 4 months (I think) and I’ve given up on treatment. I need them to go and I’m not sure how, I’ve discussed this numerous times with my parents, my care co, the general CAMHS email thing, childline, kooth and the crisis line but nothing has worked. I just wondered if there was any other way to just be discharged altogether. I had signed something when I initially joined CAMHS so I was wondering if I could sign something to get out of it too (I know it sounds stupid). Thank you!
Hi, im just wondering what treatment you have had (i.e. therapy) and why you want to stop? I have been through the system and felt the exact same as you:smile:
Original post by brionyvj
Hi, im just wondering what treatment you have had (i.e. therapy) and why you want to stop? I have been through the system and felt the exact same as you:smile:

Anorexia treatment I want to stop because I hate going there and I don’t want to reach my target weight because I already am healthy and have no eating disorder behaviours because I have recovered and my parents also believe I have recovered I hate going there and so do my parents because we think it’s a waste of time and she keeps talking about the same thing over and over again
Original post by Camhsistheworst
Anorexia treatment I want to stop because I hate going there and I don’t want to reach my target weight because I already am healthy and have no eating disorder behaviours because I have recovered and my parents also believe I have recovered I hate going there and so do my parents because we think it’s a waste of time and she keeps talking about the same thing over and over again

If its definitely best not going, get your parents to call up directly and remove yourself from the service. They cannot force you to stay, and if they refuse, simply ignore them, do not turn up to sessions, etc. They cant legally force you to be there
If its definitely best not going, get your parents to call up directly and remove yourself from the service. They cannot force you to stay, and if they refuse, simply ignore them, do not turn up to sessions, etc. They cant legally force you to be there

But won’t they call social services for neglect?

Hello?
Hello?

I dont see why they would, but tbh maybe going through your go for support Instead of CAMHS would be better. Having an ED does not mean you've been neglected unless there are other signs, so just explain to them your reasons why you're stopping treatment.

Or, what I did, was express my concerns strongly which meant i went though the psychiatrist rather than just the therapist, which are far far better.
I dont see why they would, but tbh maybe going through your go for support Instead of CAMHS would be better. Having an ED does not mean you've been neglected unless there are other signs, so just explain to them your reasons why you're stopping treatment.

Or, what I did, was express my concerns strongly which meant i went though the psychiatrist rather than just the therapist, which are far far better.

What’s a psychiatrist?
What’s a psychiatrist?

"Psychiatry is a medical field concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental health conditions. A doctor who works in psychiatry is called a psychiatrist." Essentially, theyre not like therapists, who just talk, psychiatrists have the ability to diagnose mental health conditions and give medication out, like i hated therapy sososo much but in the second psychiatrist session ive been given medication which work great. Its a much less emotional and more professional situation which may be better for you
(edited 2 years ago)
"Psychiatry is a medical field concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mental health conditions. A doctor who works in psychiatry is called a psychiatrist." Essentially, theyre not like therapists, who just talk, psychiatrists have the ability to diagnose mental health conditions and give medication out, like i hated therapy sososo much but in the second psychiatrist session ive been given medication which work great. Its a much less emotional and more professional situation which may be better for you

That sounds wayyyyy better but how do I ask for that?
That sounds wayyyyy better but how do I ask for that?

It’s usually what happens if therapy does not work for you. Say to your therapist that therapy has been doing more harm than good and you and your parents feel getting professional help from a psychiatrist would be much more beneficial. That’s what I did anyway- said that I needed more than what therapy could offer, then I got a psychiatrist appointment

Quick Reply

Latest