The Student Room Group

MEDICINE : Uni of Birmingham VS Queen Mary Uni London?

if someone who knows enough or is at either of these unis could answer this? (only related to a medicine course):
- which is better for tutor support and how?
- which has stronger anatomy teaching?
- in general which seems to trump the other in different aspects?
Reply 1
Original post by medsock
if someone who knows enough or is at either of these unis could answer this? (only related to a medicine course):

Well nobody has gone to both, so cannot do a head to head comparison for you?
(edited 2 years ago)
@A_J_B is a medical student at Bham and @Mesopotamian. is a dental student at QMUL, so they can advise :smile:

Just to bear in mind though, these will be personal decisions and no student has attended both, so won't be able to compare! Some of your points are quite vague as well - "stronger anatomy teaching" could depend heavily on which tutor a student has, for example.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by becausethenight
@A_J_B is a medical student at Bham and @Mesopotamian. is a dental student at QMUL, so they can advise :smile:

Just to bear in mind though, these will be personal decisions and no student has attended both, so won't be able to compare! Some of your points are quite vague as well - "stronger anatomy teaching" could depend heavily on which tutor a student has, for example.

As well as personal learning styles, preferences, etc
Original post by GANFYD

(Original post by GANFYD)As well as personal learning styles, preferences, etc

Exactly :yep:
Plus all this stuff is random - my personal tutor is useless, someone else's supported them amazingly well through awful personal circs. So depending on who you ask, you get very different opinions!

Spoiler

Reply 5
Exactly :yep:
Plus all this stuff is random - my personal tutor is useless, someone else's supported them amazingly well through awful personal circs. So depending on who you ask, you get very different opinions!

Spoiler

And what some people find supportive, others would find unhelpful :dontknow:

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by medsock

I'm a med student here at Bham so you could pick my brains :smile:
- every med student gets their own Personal academic tutor, but their helpfulness can vary a lot. Some people's PATs are not the best while others have incredible PATs.
- Bham is known to be not the best with anatomy teaching-but this isn't a big factor for me as anatomy is mostly rote learning which you can do yourself if you put in enough effort.
-I haven't been to both so can't answer your last question unfortunately. It's upto you to decide where to go

IN general, Birmingham has a very integrated course, with 10% of a PBL element. The first 2 years are lecture heavy, and learning is supported with small group teaching and prosection. It's also a very big med school, with about 390 students graduating per year. While some would not be so keen on that, you get to meet so many people (not happening right now obviously) and also during placement you can easily arrange car pooling as there will be quite a few people allocated to a particular hospital placement.

There are fortnightly GP placements in pre-clinical years as well

Most of our placements are within 10 miles from the med school-not to mention the Queen Elizabeth Hospital which is a major military and tertiary care hospital-one of the largest in the UK. The clinical material and exposure you would get in such a big city would be quite invaluable as well. Birmingham is the most ethnically diverse city in the UK outside London.

I don't think prosection/vs dissection makes much of a difference- in many ways prosection is more focussed and saves time without compromising on learning (you also get to see several models which gives you an idea of the different anatomical variations).

Birmingham also has great links to London, and the HS2 is coming up in the next few years so there is potential for more investment in the area.

Thanks for the tag BTN:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
What do you mean by “which trumps the other in different aspects”? What are the ‘different aspects’ you’re referring to?

I’ll try my best here :colondollar:
Original post by GANFYD
And what some people find supportive, others would find unhelpful :dontknow:

Spoiler

:hugs:Hopefully not as bad as before, with all the vaccinating you have been up to?

Original post by A_J_B
- every med student gets their own Personal academic tutor, but their helpfulness can vary a lot. Some people's PATs are not the best while others have incredible PATs.
- Bham is known to be not the best with anatomy teaching-but this isn't a big factor for me as anatomy is mostly rote learning which you can do yourself if you put in enough effort.
-I haven't been to both so can't answer your last question unfortunately. It's upto you to decide where to go

IN general, Birmingham has a very integrated course, with 10% of a PBL element. The first 2 years are lecture heavy, and learning is supported with small group teaching and prosection. It's also a very big med school, with about 390 students graduating per year. While some would not be so keen on that, you get to meet so many people (not happening right now obviously) and also during placement you can easily arrange car pooling as there will be quite a few people allocated to a particular hospital placement.

Most of our placements are within 10 miles from the med school-not to mention the Queen Elizabeth Hospital which is a major military and tertiary care hospital-one of the largest in the UK. The clinical material and exposure you would get in such a big city would be quite invaluable as well. Birmingham is the most ethnically diverse city in the UK outside London.

I don't think prosection/vs dissection makes much of a difference- in many ways prosection is more focussed and saves time without compromising on learning (you also get to see several models which gives you an idea of the different anatomical variations).

Birmingham also has great links to London, and the HS2 is coming up in the next few years so there is potential for more investment in the area.

Thanks for the excellent reply to OP :smile:

Hope you are doing well too!

Original post by Mesopotamian.
What do you mean by “which trumps the other in different aspects”? What are the ‘different aspects’ you’re referring to?

You're the closest thing we have to a Barts med student :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by A_J_B

Thank you! - this was sort of the summary I needed. With the PATs if you have one that just doesn't suit you or isn't the best are you allowed to request a change? does your PATs change yearly?
Reply 10
Original post by medsock
Thank you! - this was sort of the summary I needed. With the PATs if you have one that just doesn't suit you or isn't the best are you allowed to request a change? does your PATs change yearly?

Yes if you don't get on well with your PAT you can request to change.
Your PAT remains the same throughout your time at med school-you will be assigned a PAT group which has senior medics (like a medic family).
Reply 11
Original post by Mesopotamian.

For example (it's mentioned in the chain that Uni of Birmingham has PATs), what extra academic support does QMUL provide (outside of lectures)? Do they have regular mini teaching groups outside of timetabled lessons? Do you get assigned a personal academic tutor at QMUL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending