The Student Room Group

solved
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shuuski
I'm in Year 11 and it's our final school trip. It's announced that we will be assigned bubble groups in our class due to covid. All my friend are in another class and I won't be able to interact with them and if I break the bubble I'll be forced to stay on the coach the entire trip.

The problem is, I have literally no friends in my class. It is not just that, but they all think of me as the "wet" kid, as my class is made up of all the popular kids. I literally sit my by myself every tutor period with no one on my table. Kids in my class avoid sitting next to me at assemblies and leave a gap when they do. They let out exaggerated sighs when they're told to be my partner for something and make a whole deal in front of everyone. I literally haven't done anything except be friends with someone the class deemed as unlikeable (who ended up leaving) and now I'm by myself.

I was initially so excited, I bought myself a new outfit with the little money I had and some polaroid film to take photos with my friends (who are in another class) and now I feel like the trip will be nothing but embarrassing for me as I feel whoever will be assigned in my group will obviously seem annoyed and avoid me and I'll spend the whole trip like this. The trip will be to a theme park and I'm a girl by the way.

Any advice?

I understand how difficult it can be. As a shy person, I used to be so scared I would be alone in lessons or on trips but yo shouldn't let it ruin your day. Is there any way you can speak to a teacher and let them know your situation? Maybe include that you are friends with this other group anyway and so you technically already have a bubble with them??
Hello Shuuski, hope you're well.

Do they truly think you're "wet" or is it something you think that they think? Sorry if I'm not making sense but have they ever said anything to you before that would make you think this way or are you just worried because they're popular or you're not close with them? Is there at least one person in that group that you're okay with and don't feel bad around? I know the feeling of being surrounded by people you don't like that much on a school trip. If it makes you feel any better, you could ask your friends to hang after the trip? Or stay with one person you're comfortable with within that bubble if there is such a person. You could also stay with a teacher you're friendly with. I know this may seem "moist" but it'd be better than being with people that don't like you.

I hope you find a solution that works for you and I hope you still manage to enjoy your trip regardless!
Reply 3
Original post by Louise_f121
I understand how difficult it can be. As a shy person, I used to be so scared I would be alone in lessons or on trips but yo shouldn't let it ruin your day. Is there any way you can speak to a teacher and let them know your situation? Maybe include that you are friends with this other group anyway and so you technically already have a bubble with them??

Thanks, but I feel like they wont care. I once tried to tell my teacher about how some kid vandalised my bag and they poked fun at me for getting bullied so I'm not sure if they'll care about this, I sent them than email about how it's irrational to choose the people assigned to group and hopefully they do something, which I doubt since it's pretty much only me who has a problem with this.
Reply 4
Original post by shuuski
I'm in Year 11 and it's our final school trip. It's announced that we will be assigned bubble groups in our class due to covid. All my friend are in another class and I won't be able to interact with them and if I break the bubble I'll be forced to stay on the coach the entire trip.

The problem is, I have literally no friends in my class. It is not just that, but they all think of me as the "wet" kid, as my class is made up of all the popular kids. I literally sit my by myself every tutor period with no one on my table. Kids in my class avoid sitting next to me at assemblies and leave a gap when they do. They let out exaggerated sighs when they're told to be my partner for something and make a whole deal in front of everyone. I literally haven't done anything except be friends with someone the class deemed as unlikeable (who ended up leaving) and now I'm by myself.

I was initially so excited, I bought myself a new outfit with the little money I had and some polaroid film to take photos with my friends (who are in another class) and now I feel like the trip will be nothing but embarrassing for me as I feel whoever will be assigned in my group will obviously seem annoyed and avoid me and I'll spend the whole trip like this. The trip will be to a theme park and I'm a girl by the way.

Any advice?

Hi! I was in the same situation. My trip was full of people that didn't even know my name but by the end of it everyone knew my name and I came out with so much more friends.
Since your trip is an activity, it will be even easier to make conversation since you have the same interest.
I suggest start with small talk about the rides and kind of just stick by 1/2 people's side.
If you still feel awkward when you're with the other girls I think you should give a short sweet complement that usually puts a smile on someone's face and eases the tension.
MOST IMPORTANTLY just line up with them ( they cant tell you to go away since its a public place lol) , you will be in the line for about an hour so maybe start a game while you are waiting? even if they don't like you, boredom would be worse so they would probably agree to play and then after you guys talk and go on the ride together it shouldn't be awkward anymore :smile:
I hope this is even the tiniest bit helpful, good luck on your trip! <3
You're complaining you don't have any friends, but why would you want to be friends with people like that?

Better to be alone than surrounded by fake people.
Reply 6
Original post by amalie480
Hello Shuuski, hope you're well.

Do they truly think you're "wet" or is it something you think that they think? Sorry if I'm not making sense but have they ever said anything to you before that would make you think this way or are you just worried because they're popular or you're not close with them? Is there at least one person in that group that you're okay with and don't feel bad around? I know the feeling of being surrounded by people you don't like that much on a school trip. If it makes you feel any better, you could ask your friends to hang after the trip? Or stay with one person you're comfortable with within that bubble if there is such a person. You could also stay with a teacher you're friendly with. I know this may seem "moist" but it'd be better than being with people that don't like you.

I hope you find a solution that works for you and I hope you still manage to enjoy your trip regardless!

They avoid me a lot, they avoid sitting next to me and make an exaggerated sigh / deal out of it whenever the teacher tells them to be my partner or sit next to me. I really wish there was, but the nice kids who don't make big deals just kind of ignore me and avoid speaking to me and just pull a face at their friends next to me. The teacher is someone who kind of hates me as during his lessons he would always ignore me when I asked for help and stuff and even though if I do choose to stay with him, I feel like the other kids would snicker knowing I had to resort to the teacher due to my unpopularity. Thanks for the reply though!
Original post by shuuski
They avoid me a lot, they avoid sitting next to me and make an exaggerated sigh / deal out of it whenever the teacher tells them to be my partner or sit next to me. I really wish there was, but the nice kids who don't make big deals just kind of ignore me and avoid speaking to me and just pull a face at their friends next to me. The teacher is someone who kind of hates me as during his lessons he would always ignore me when I asked for help and stuff and even though if I do choose to stay with him, I feel like the other kids would snicker knowing I had to resort to the teacher due to my unpopularity. Thanks for the reply though!

If the worst comes to it, maybe try and strike up a conversation with someone else you see while lining up for the rides. Have you informed the teachers organising this trip about your concerns? I would have imagined you have but just wanted to ask.
Reply 8
Original post by Qxi.xli
You're complaining you don't have any friends, but why would you want to be friends with people like that?

Better to be alone than surrounded by fake people.

Yeah you're right, I don't want to be friends with them but I just feel like

Original post by R0seN1na
Hi! I was in the same situation. My trip was full of people that didn't even know my name but by the end of it everyone knew my name and I came out with so much more friends.
Since your trip is an activity, it will be even easier to make conversation since you have the same interest.
I suggest start with small talk about the rides and kind of just stick by 1/2 people's side.
If you still feel awkward when you're with the other girls I think you should give a short sweet complement that usually puts a smile on someone's face and eases the tension.
MOST IMPORTANTLY just line up with them ( they cant tell you to go away since its a public place lol) , you will be in the line for about an hour so maybe start a game while you are waiting? even if they don't like you, boredom would be worse so they would probably agree to play and then after you guys talk and go on the ride together it shouldn't be awkward anymore :smile:
I hope this is even the tiniest bit helpful, good luck on your trip! <3

Thanks so much, this cheered me up. :smile:
Original post by shuuski
Yeah you're right, I don't want to be friends with them but I just feel like

Thanks so much, this cheered me up. :smile:

Also, this reminds me...
'A girl who can go to eat alone, movies alone, dates alone...is a powerful person. She can comfort herself. She may be alone, but not lonely.'

Have fun!
Reply 10
Original post by amalie480
If the worst comes to it, maybe try and strike up a conversation with someone else you see while lining up for the rides. Have you informed the teachers organising this trip about your concerns? I would have imagined you have but just wanted to ask.

Yes I have, the teacher is known for not caring and poking fun at students when they tell them about situations where they're being bullied and stuff, so I'm not sure if he will care. However, I feel like I might as well go and show I don't care about what they think of me and stay on call with an online friend or something to pretend as if I'm unbothered.
Original post by shuuski
Thanks, but I feel like they wont care. I once tried to tell my teacher about how some kid vandalised my bag and they poked fun at me for getting bullied so I'm not sure if they'll care about this, I sent them than email about how it's irrational to choose the people assigned to group and hopefully they do something, which I doubt since it's pretty much only me who has a problem with this.

I would try to speak to different people about it and hope someone does something. It's a theme park so I feel like people may end up splitting up more anyway. Is there any way you cold try to get your friend group to go around with your group so you can stay together. That's what I used to do if my friends were split into two groups.
Original post by shuuski
Yes I have, the teacher is known for not caring and poking fun at students when they tell them about situations where they're being bullied and stuff, so I'm not sure if he will care. However, I feel like I might as well go and show I don't care about what they think of me and stay on call with an online friend or something to pretend as if I'm unbothered.

Ah okay, well I hope you enjoy your trip anyways. You could ask your friends to hang out after the trip or on another day. And good thing is, this is your last year so if you move away from sixth form you won't have to deal with these people again :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Qxi.xli
Also, this reminds me...
'A girl who can go to eat alone, movies alone, dates alone...is a powerful person. She can comfort herself. She may be alone, but not lonely.'

Have fun!

Hi I'm sorry I didn't realise I replied without finishing what I was saying as I tried to reply to something else. I don't mind being alone but I hope they just don't snicker at me for being alone and embarrass me by avoiding me in front of everyone else and stuff. However, I feel kind of motivated to show I don't care what they think of me and just try to have fun either way. Thanks so much!
Original post by shuuski
Hi I'm sorry I didn't realise I replied without finishing what I was saying as I tried to reply to something else. I don't mind being alone but I hope they just don't snicker at me for being alone and embarrass me by avoiding me in front of everyone else and stuff. However, I feel kind of motivated to show I don't care what they think of me and just try to have fun either way. Thanks so much!

who cares if they laugh at you though lol? show them it doesn't affect you and that they're just being immature.

They sound like 5-year-olds. Pathetic.
Reply 15
Original post by Louise_f121
I would try to speak to different people about it and hope someone does something. It's a theme park so I feel like people may end up splitting up more anyway. Is there any way you cold try to get your friend group to go around with your group so you can stay together. That's what I used to do if my friends were split into two groups.

I'm not sure as theres a penalty for getting caught talking to other bubbles as you'll get forced to go back onto the coach for the rest of the trip. Either way, I'll still try to see if other people are breaking their bubbles before attempting but if not i'll just stick to myself and listen to music to avoid making myself look awkward, thanks so much for caring!
Woah, seriously even the teacher? They don't seem very nice, you're probably looking forward to sixth form, try to hit the ground running = ). In terms of the trip, be confident in yourself, you have your own skills and talents which they might not, hold your head high and don't let them get to you, there's potential for at least 1 or 2 to turn a new leaf and maybe be nice during the trip, but even if they don't just enjoy yourself. (Year 12)
Reply 17
Original post by Qxi.xli
who cares if they laugh at you though lol? show them it doesn't affect you and that they're just being immature.

They sound like 5-year-olds. Pathetic.

Thanks, you really boosted my mood! I'll just do exactly that and like listen to music by myself or text my other friend and show how my lack of concern. Thanks again!! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Faith_24
Woah, seriously even the teacher? They don't seem very nice, you're probably looking forward to sixth form, try to hit the ground running = ). In terms of the trip, be confident in yourself, you have your own skills and talents which they might not, hold your head high and don't let them get to you, there's potential for at least 1 or 2 to turn a new leaf and maybe be nice during the trip, but even if they don't just enjoy yourself. (Year 12)

Yeah, but thank you! I feel motivated to show I'm okay and unconcerned about not being welcome in their friend group : )
Original post by shuuski
I'm not sure as theres a penalty for getting caught talking to other bubbles as you'll get forced to go back onto the coach for the rest of the trip. Either way, I'll still try to see if other people are breaking their bubbles before attempting but if not i'll just stick to myself and listen to music to avoid making myself look awkward, thanks so much for caring!

No worries! Maybe you might end up finding someone you get along with. I hope it goes well for you, if you need anymore advice or you want to let me know how it goes (I am curious haha) feel free to ask/let me know :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending