The Student Room Group

Does institutional racism affect the dating world?

Why do Asian men and black women struggle so much in dating? Do you think it’s stereotyping and Institutional racism which leads to a poorer image of them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Why do Asian men and black women struggle so much in dating? Do you think it’s stereotyping and Institutional racism which leads to a poorer image of them?

Yes, I believe so but I'm actually attracted to Asian/Black men and I'm white.
I think if you're going to blame your inability to find a partner on your race you need to grow up and get a life. That's my opinion on it.

Maybe when you stop moaning about race all the time, someone may be attracted to your personality.

No

because it doesnt exist. Neither does foundational racism or the new one i saw one nickelodeon, enviromental racism.
Original post by V℮rsions
I think if you're going to blame your inability to find a partner on your race you need to grow up and get a life. That's my opinion on it.

Maybe when you stop moaning about race all the time, someone may be attracted to your personality.

Very, very true but there is privilege in the dating world.
Original post by Rosessta3rs7
Very, very true but there is privilege in the dating world.

3 examples being? Linked to race only.

I have no idea how true the statement is, but one thing's for sure if it is true you can't solve it by writing to the CEO of dating demanding institutional change, as dating is not an institution.
3 examples being? Linked to race only.

Asian men get more rejections from white, asian and black women. Black women also get rejections more times than me. I'm white, my friend's black. We have a 10 year difference and neither of us have found anyone.
(edited 2 years ago)

maybe because they spend too much time complaining about racism rather than fostering an attitude/personality that is attractive.
Reply 9

east asian men are often perceived as more feminine than the typical dude and black women are often perceived as more masculine than the typical woman ..and this harms their options.
(edited 2 years ago)

It cannot be racism. Solely because if we do the reverse, Asian women and Black men are highly successful in the dating world.
Asian men tend to be shorter so are generally less attractive to females and as for black women it may be stereotyping.
But this is all based on the notion that institutional racism exists, with which I disagree.
Original post by Rosessta3rs7
Asian men get more rejections from white, asian and black women. Black women also get rejections more times than me. I'm white, my friend's black. We have a 10 year difference and neither of us have found anyone.

I don't think thats an example of privilege. I wouldn't say a white guy is more privileged compared to a black guy because someone swiped him on Tinder?? And institutional racism? What institution is making this happen? BigDating? Load of crap!

Institutional Racism is a MASSIVE claim, you're essentially saying there's a deep evil ingrained within an entire sector of society which is ruining the lives of millions of people. You shouldn't throw around the phrase like that, especially on such inapplicable and trivial claims like in dating, it's only creating "Boy Who Cried Wolf" type scenarios and preventing minorities from solving real issues like access to education or policing bias.
I don't think thats an example of privilege. I wouldn't say a white guy is more privileged compared to a black guy because someone swiped him on Tinder?? And institutional racism? What institution is making this happen? BigDating? Load of crap!

Institutional Racism is a MASSIVE claim, you're essentially saying there's a deep evil ingrained within an entire sector of society which is ruining the lives of millions of people. You shouldn't throw around the phrase like that, especially on such inapplicable and trivial claims like in dating, it's only creating "Boy Who Cried Wolf" type scenarios and preventing minorities from solving real issues like access to education or policing bias.

Wasn't me who wrote the post dude. A lot of threads on TSR are obsessed with race.

this is what happens when inculcate in people that nothing that happens to them is ever their own doing, its always someone elses fault. Blame racism, blame god, blame to government. Anyone rather than taking a long hard look in the mirror and asking some pretty honest questions.
Original post by ANM775
east asian men are often perceived as more feminine than the typical dude and black women are often perceived as more masculine than the typical woman ..and this harms their options.

This. What causes that perception?
Reply 15

For Asian men probably their phenotype, they tend to have less testosterone and are therefore shorter. I don't know know why for black women though.
Original post by Filthy Communist
I have no idea how true the statement is, but one thing's for sure if it is true you can't solve it by writing to the CEO of dating demanding institutional change, as dating is not an institution.

I think it’s more society which stereotypes certain races which then makes dating harder for them
Reply 17
I wouldn't call it 'institutional' racism. But yeah Asian and Indian men are considered less attractive and so are black women.
Don't think like this... Yes, I'm also Asian (Pakistani).
Reply 19

without trying to offend anybody, their looks and behavior are sometimes perceived as more masculine/feminine than other males/females

asian women on the otherhand being perceived as feminine does not hurt them because that is ideal for women, and black men being perceived as masculine is not really hurting them either, probably benefitting..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending