The Student Room Group

How long does it take for a guy to call after getting your number?

I’m a local at this restaurant and the waiter there has been flirting with me since the cafe reopened after lockdown restrictions lifted. He would be working in the back when i visit and when he sees me, he switches to front of house to serve my table and talk to me.

He asked for my number on my most recent visit on Saturday so i wrote it down on a piece of paper and gave it to him and he asked me for my name but i forgot to ask what his was because i was quite shy. Then he said that he’ll call me. It’s now Monday night and I haven’t heard anything from him.

I’m confused with why he would ask for my number but then not make contact? Or is he waiting a few more days for some reason?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe he's playing it cool, or just likes to make himself feel important / get an ego boost and he wasn't really into you

You don't really know this person and it's not like you're emotionally invested in him so forget it ever happened - no point stressing over it op
Reply 2
Original post by WazzWazz98
Maybe he's playing it cool, or just likes to make himself feel important / get an ego boost and he wasn't really into you

You don't really know this person and it's not like you're emotionally invested in him so forget it ever happened - no point stressing over it op

I visit quite often so i just feel like I’m gonna lose face or feel awkward if i see him, knowing he has my number and he hasn’t contacted :-( lol
Original post by Anonymous
I visit quite often so i just feel like I’m gonna lose face or feel awkward if i see him, knowing he has my number and he hasn’t contacted :-( lol

I mean if he's not interested he simply won't come out front anymore
Reply 4
I’m a local at this restaurant and the waiter there has been flirting with me since the cafe reopened after lockdown restrictions lifted. He would be working in the back when i visit and when he sees me, he switches to front of house to serve my table and talk to me.

He asked for my number on my most recent visit on Saturday so i wrote it down on a piece of paper and gave it to him and he asked me for my name but i forgot to ask what his was because i was quite shy. Then he said that he’ll call me. It’s now Monday night and I haven’t heard anything from him.

I’m confused with why he would ask for my number but then not make contact? Or is he waiting a few more days for some reason?

most guys will call within 48 hours, some might leave it 72 hours

If it's gone past the 4 day mark this is a signal of low interest/fickleness on his part ...or he's not going to call.

I think the longest i've left it is around the 3 day mark.
I've never called a girl after the 4th day....
Hi there.
The problem is,
If the man calls the woman too soon: already? Why? Does not he have a life?; I am sure he does not have a social life; he seems so desperate, so clingy; I am sure he is a virgin and never got in a relationship; that is so unattractive, already calling me? He is so easy. I should just ignore him, he is not worth it.
If he calls the woman late:
why did he take my number in the first place? Was not he interested? Is he just using me? Well, men are all mean idiots whose sole purpose is to play with women.

Now imagine how it is to be a man after you have taken a woman phone number.
Of course they might have other reasons, but this, is most of the time what men have to take into consideration...
Don't fall into this trap. I know a cashier who did the same to me and turns out he does this with lot of girls, gets numbers and Instagram handles just to feed his deluded ego. These guys are only looking for attention or sex.
Reply 7
Don't fall into this trap. I know a cashier who did the same to me and turns out he does this with lot of girls, gets numbers and Instagram handles just to feed his deluded ego. These guys are only looking for attention or sex.

Lol that’s what I’m starting to think too, now Tuesday night and still nothing. Should I just act nonchalant the next time I visit as the food is really nice there and I don’t want to stop visiting just bc of the player of a waiter?
Lol that’s what I’m starting to think too, now Tuesday night and still nothing. Should I just act nonchalant the next time I visit as the food is really nice there and I don’t want to stop visiting just bc of the player of a waiter?

Just ignore him and pretend you are doing your own thing. I didn't and end up exchanging insta handles and now he left the job but ignores me. These types are a waste of space. He also contacted me after 7 days of giving the number.
Reply 9
Just ignore him and pretend you are doing your own thing. I didn't and end up exchanging insta handles and now he left the job but ignores me. These types are a waste of space. He also contacted me after 7 days of giving the number.

Did he even have a reason for why it took him 7 days to reach out?
Did he even have a reason for why it took him 7 days to reach out?

No. No reason. All of a sudden texted me but wrote like a kid, writing 1 line sentences. Then never texted me again except once for hello how are you. When I responded in the morning, he never replied back. All he does is obsessively check my stories and if he sees me going out with my friends, he stops viewing them or at least views them secretly where he doesn't come up as a viewer.
No. No reason. All of a sudden texted me but wrote like a kid, writing 1 line sentences. Then never texted me again except once for hello how are you. When I responded in the morning, he never replied back. All he does is obsessively check my stories and if he sees me going out with my friends, he stops viewing them or at least views them secretly where he doesn't come up as a viewer.

I don’t really understand boys. This guy seemed interested, he even gave me free food so that he could have my number and I didn’t give it to him the first time he asked which was nearly 2 weeks ago. The latest time that I visited (on Saturday) he stopped me before I left to ask if he really wasn’t getting my number to which I gave it to him and he asked for my socials as well but I just said he could have my number for now. So I’m really confused, why would he pursue and not follow up?
I don’t really understand boys. This guy seemed interested, he even gave me free food so that he could have my number and I didn’t give it to him the first time he asked which was nearly 2 weeks ago. The latest time that I visited (on Saturday) he stopped me before I left to ask if he really wasn’t getting my number to which I gave it to him and he asked for my socials as well but I just said he could have my number for now. So I’m really confused, why would he pursue and not follow up?

Omg this guy sounds exactly the same like the one I'm talking about. By any chance is his name Ivan?

He's playing games by making you wait. Classic move to make it look like he's not desperate for you and to keep you on hook that you keep thinking and waiting for him
Reply 13
He's playing games by making you wait. Classic move to make it look like he's not desperate for you and to keep you on hook that you keep thinking and waiting for him

I might have to start doing this

because looking at you two right here, it's clearly working :P

This Ivan should be a dating coach.
Original post by ANM775
I might have to start doing this

because looking at you two right here, it's clearly working :P

This Ivan should be a dating coach.

It's not working on me. I'm on the verge of blocking him so this dude is a troll

Why is he a dating coach?
This story is awfully familiar...
Original post by Theloniouss
This story is awfully familiar...

Probably it's the same guy. OP please tell me what his name is .
Reply 17
It's not working on me. I'm on the verge of blocking him so this dude is a troll

:biggrin:

I said he should be a dating coach because you guys are literally going out of your minds hoping for him to text/call
Reply 18

Original post by ANM775

I said he should be a dating coach because you guys are literally going out of your minds hoping for him to text/call

This tactic shall hence be known as the Ivan-Maneuver 😁😀
Original post by ANM775

I'm not. I'm just asking the user if it's same guy as his behaviour seems awfully familiar to the one I know. Esp now that she mentioned free food etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending