The Student Room Group

Friend going to cinema with no money?

I’m meant to be going to the cinema with my friend this week and she says she has no money. We bought our tickets separately but she says she’s bringing no money to the cinema and I said what about popcorn and drinks? And she replied saying that we weren’t going to a restaurant as in she wasn’t going to be eating.

Thing is I know how this will go because I want to buy food for myself, I then will feel bad and she’ll be wanting my food and have to end up buying her food. I have no idea when she’ll pay me back as she doesn’t have a job or does anything. I also have very little money and I need to save, I’ve already bought my other friends drinks the other day and wasn’t paid back. It’s so annoying because her family is wealthy but she won’t ask her mum for money. So I guess it falls to me to get her food even though I am running out of money myself? Is this fair and what shall I do. She hasn’t asked me to buy it for her but I just feel like that’s what will end up happening as she’s bringing no money and has no intention of buying herself food.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m meant to be going to the cinema with my friend this week and she says she has no money. We bought our tickets separately but she says she’s bringing no money to the cinema and I said what about popcorn and drinks? And she replied saying that we weren’t going to a restaurant as in she wasn’t going to be eating.

Thing is I know how this will go because I want to buy food for myself, I then will feel bad and she’ll be wanting my food and have to end up buying her food. I have no idea when she’ll pay me back as she doesn’t have a job or does anything. I also have very little money and I need to save, I’ve already bought my other friends drinks the other day and wasn’t paid back. It’s so annoying because her family is wealthy but she won’t ask her mum for money. So I guess it falls to me to get her food even though I am running out of money myself? Is this fair and what shall I do. She hasn’t asked me to buy it for her but I just feel like that’s what will end up happening as she’s bringing no money and has no intention of buying herself food.

Just don't buy her any food and don't feel bad about it.
Do you need food and drink? Could you bring some yourself rather than buy it for 3x the price at the cinema? Could you share rather than you buying your friends their own?
Reply 3
Original post by laurawatt
Do you need food and drink? Could you bring some yourself rather than buy it for 3x the price at the cinema? Could you share rather than you buying your friends their own?

I personally really enjoy cinema food like getting the slushees and fountain soda it’s half the reason I go as I go so rarely anyway so I really want the food.
In life, you have to make sacrifices and make quick decisions to promote the best outcome. Your friend has no money and it is almost inevitable that she will become reliant on you to buy her food so pick one..

A) bring some foods that you can share with her, maybe like crisps, chocolate? All low of price, all saving money and all eating something while watching the film.

B) do not buy her anything.

If you went for B, you have more likelihood of feeling bad that she doesn’t eat, etc.

Why don’t you ask her to get like £2 and pay for one of those £1 popcorn and get like a £1 drink and put it in your bag. All fairly cheap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending