The Student Room Group

I can’t seem to let go of my old best friend...

I decided to distance myself from my old best friends as we grew apart since secondary school. For many reasons including the fact that we were leading down different parts, she back stabbed me a lot and I finally had enough. She kept hurting me more than anything so I made the decision of distancing myself from her. The main reason I distant myself from her was because she was become really good friends with the person who bullied me throughout secondary school and made my life miserable.

However, we are still friends. Not close but just congratulate each other on our successes etc but that’s it.

The problem is, I get really upset sometimes that we aren’t good friends anymore. But I know that if we were close friends again she would just continue hurting me. Do I just miss her? Is it for the best? I just don’t get why I feel like this when I know it’s for the best
Reply 1
*we had been friends our whole lives
Reply 2
friendship breakups are awful - i know how you feel and in fact before university i cut ties with someone who used to be one of my closest friends. i've shared some of my deepest secrets and talked to her about things i couldn't in front of anyone else. but yeah she was a psycho b*tch in the making and i set the record straight and ended it as fast as i could manage.

learn to keep the good memories and leave her behind - there is a brighter future without her ahead and i know it's not easy thinking about being hurt by someone you trusted. hurts a little at first, but it will get better. remember the good times and leave it at that - they were once a great presence so leave it at that. and you'll see that your world is a little bit better without the negative energy that they carried towards the end.

im sorry this happened to you but now you should try to move forward, because you deserve a fresh start
Reply 3
Original post by mxxnal
friendship breakups are awful - i know how you feel and in fact before university i cut ties with someone who used to be one of my closest friends. i've shared some of my deepest secrets and talked to her about things i couldn't in front of anyone else. but yeah she was a psycho b*tch in the making and i set the record straight and ended it as fast as i could manage.

learn to keep the good memories and leave her behind - there is a brighter future without her ahead and i know it's not easy thinking about being hurt by someone you trusted. hurts a little at first, but it will get better. remember the good times and leave it at that - they were once a great presence so leave it at that. and you'll see that your world is a little bit better without the negative energy that they carried towards the end.

im sorry this happened to you but now you should try to move forward, because you deserve a fresh start

Wow thanks for this post. I really appreciate it. Has made me feel a lot better. You’re great at advice :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I decided to distance myself from my old best friends as we grew apart since secondary school. For many reasons including the fact that we were leading down different parts, she back stabbed me a lot and I finally had enough. She kept hurting me more than anything so I made the decision of distancing myself from her. The main reason I distant myself from her was because she was become really good friends with the person who bullied me throughout secondary school and made my life miserable.

However, we are still friends. Not close but just congratulate each other on our successes etc but that’s it.

The problem is, I get really upset sometimes that we aren’t good friends anymore. But I know that if we were close friends again she would just continue hurting me. Do I just miss her? Is it for the best? I just don’t get why I feel like this when I know it’s for the best

Aww! Feeling like this is totally normal when it comes to best friends!

If you feel like missing her is really affecting you, write her a letter, get everything out in the open and see if you can work things out, you’ve got nothing to lose! Tell her how she made you feel, what you’d like for the future and see how you go!
Chances are that she may feel the same and she may not know where to start.

Some friendships do come to an end but people can be capable of change.

This happened to me in school and we’ve been best friends now for 20 years and counting!

Always do what’s best for you though. :smile:

Quick Reply