The Student Room Group

Feeling self conscious about my height

I’m 17 and I’m 4ft 11. I feel so embarrassed about it, especially since I didn’t want to be this short yet people act as if I chose to be. People always make comments about me calling me a year 7 and undatable because I’m too short for anyone :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I know how you feel! My height never bothered me until it was too late to do anything about it. I’m also 4’11”. First of all, you we are definitely not undateable because of our height. I have a boyfriend, and so do so many other petite women.

Vanessa Hudgens, Adrienne Bailon, Salma Hayek, Tarayummy, Kristen Chenoweth, Jada Pinket Smith, Ayla Wooruff ( and so many more) are all very petite and make me feel so much more better about myself. Have a look
Height won't make any difference for me.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 17 and I’m 4ft 11. I feel so embarrassed about it, especially since I didn’t want to be this short yet people act as if I chose to be. People always make comments about me calling me a year 7 and undatable because I’m too short for anyone :frown:

Haha. Those year 7 comments are quite relatable.
It is a joke. Ignore it.

As for the undatable part, you never know your future.
only shallow airheads would reject you on your height and that
If it makes you feel any better. You aren’t alone. I’m 5ft 2. I won’t sugarcoat anything for you and say yes, your height has a substantial impact on dating prospects. I read somewhere that the odds of finding love on any given day, assuming one is 6ft to 6ft 4 inches tall and has an average looking appearance is 1/360. For guys below 6ft to 5ft 7 it’s 1 in 1000. And for guys below 5ft 7 to 5ft 5 it’s 1 in 2500. Here’s the worst part 😭, for guys who are below 5ft 5, your odds of finding a suitable mate decrease by 10,000 every inch you go lower. So for you, assuming your an average looking guy, your odds of finding a mate is basically 1 in 62,500. It’s pretty poor odds man but hey, that’s life.
If it makes you feel any better. You aren’t alone. I’m 5ft 2. I won’t sugarcoat anything for you and say yes, your height has a substantial impact on dating prospects. I read somewhere that the odds of finding love on any given day, assuming one is 6ft to 6ft 4 inches tall and has an average looking appearance is 1/360. For guys below 6ft to 5ft 7 it’s 1 in 1000. And for guys below 5ft 7 to 5ft 5 it’s 1 in 2500. Here’s the worst part 😭, for guys who are below 5ft 5, your odds of finding a suitable mate decrease by 10,000 every inch you go lower. So for you, assuming your an average looking guy, your odds of finding a mate is basically 1 in 62,500. It’s pretty poor odds man but hey, that’s life.

Don’t actually know if OP is male or female yet lol. I assumed they’re female and you assumed they are male 😭
Reply 7
Gonna be real if you are male that is pretty terrible hand by nature. Though if your a girl I don't think its that strange, plenty of super short girls around it's a lot more normal.
Reply 8
I forgot to say I was a female
Why is your height not higher? Do you a problem
I feel your pain Last year October I felt abandoned broken and an outcast and had no one to turn to but in that moment of desparity was when I decided to open up the bible app on my phone and I started to read the book of proverbs I started to feel remorseful and realised that the life I was living was an attempt to feel true love and happiness but that was something that always didn’t feel right and that was because I didn’t have God. And so when I had nowhere and no one to turn to the ONLY person there for me was Jesus and he said I love you and I’ve been waiting for you to come and at that moment I felt this peace in my heart and I was overwhelmed with the love of God and now 9 months down the line I’ve been loving Jesus ever since and he’s always been watching over me listening to me and answering my prayers. And after reading your comment I can see me of Last year who all I needed was to come to Jesus just as I am and accept his love he’s always knocking but he waits for us to answer first. And he doesn’t condemn or judge us of our sins or wrong doings but instead gives us his Holy Spirit which will strengthen and help us to do what is right in God’s sight and the best part is God is ENOUGH. He is more than any woman/ man could ever be although having a woman/ man is nice but trust me once you have God everything else will fall in place. Jesus loves you I hope you have a blessed day😇
Men don't care about height. Take this for example, you have two midgets, one man and one woman, both actual dwarves aka little people. The likelihood of the woman that is a midget and her dating experience is probably ten times as better as a man that is a midget. Far more men are likely to accept the height of a woman that is a midget and a guy thats a midget will have an extremely difficult time finding someone due to his height. This example shows that women on average will be much pickier of height so if you are an extremely short or even short man like below 5'7, its going to be hard. I can't even imagine what its like being a 4'11 guy and to find someone that will accept your height will take years, maybe at least 6 - 10 years. Even a woman that is a literal dwarf at like 4'4 will have much better experiences and chances than any short guy out there, let alone short women in general. its sad but painfully true.
(edited 2 years ago)
Men rarely care about height unless they are short and the girl is significantly taller than them. Lots of guys prefer small women. You're going to get some jokes about your height from friends, but I don't think it will harm your dating prospects.
Original post by chlamydia9000
Men rarely care about height unless they are short and the girl is significantly taller than them. Lots of guys prefer small women. You're going to get some jokes about your height from friends, but I don't think it will harm your dating prospects.

Theres a good amount of short White guys that are married to tall women even in Hollywood theres a few. There are exceptions like if a woman has a good personality then guys don't care about height. Height is the least important trait for men, for women its one of the most important. The amount of women that would be okay with men their height or even like 2 inches taller is extremely low. You'll never see women with a guy shorter than them, but you'll see men with various heights of women. Its sad
Original post by ammarqureshi55
Theres a good amount of short White guys that are married to tall women even in Hollywood theres a few. There are exceptions like if a woman has a good personality then guys don't care about height. Height is the least important trait for men, for women its one of the most important. The amount of women that would be okay with men their height or even like 2 inches taller is extremely low. You'll never see women with a guy shorter than them, but you'll see men with various heights of women. Its sad

Yeah, its extremely annoying and irrational. You get 5'2 women demanding 6'3 men. It's seems more to be a cultural thing than evolutionary. There wasn't this excessive focus on height 20 years ago. My brother is pretty short and has a complex about it, even though he has a girlfriend. Its sad to see.
Yeah, its extremely annoying and irrational. You get 5'2 women demanding 6'3 men. It's seems more to be a cultural thing than evolutionary. There wasn't this excessive focus on height 20 years ago. My brother is pretty short and has a complex about it, even though he has a girlfriend. Its sad to see.

Its usually always women that are usually average or short that want tall guys. Women that are usually taller know they don't have a chance cause their competition is stronger and they can't compete against women much shorter than they cause tall guys to reciprocate and basically even say shorter women are better and w/e other BS. It wasn't like this around the early 2010s. I think by like 2013 once apps starting popping up then it got bad. Social media ruined it for everyone. I go on Tik Tok and see all this crap about putting other people down and its just kind of like "Really?" so cringe and this is our society now. You can thank all the social media developers for making it worse. We can't live in a society anymore where people can mingle and chill with each other, its no longer like that
Original post by ammarqureshi55
Its usually always women that are usually average or short that want tall guys. Women that are usually taller know they don't have a chance cause their competition is stronger and they can't compete against women much shorter than they cause tall guys to reciprocate and basically even say shorter women are better and w/e other BS. It wasn't like this around the early 2010s. I think by like 2013 once apps starting popping up then it got bad. Social media ruined it for everyone. I go on Tik Tok and see all this crap about putting other people down and its just kind of like "Really?" so cringe and this is our society now. You can thank all the social media developers for making it worse. We can't live in a society anymore where people can mingle and chill with each other, its no longer like that

I wouldn't say tall women are at that much of a disadvantage. I've dated women that were 6'3 and 6'1, then again I'm not a woman. Yeah, the excessive heightism/pickiness/nastiness seems to be a product of social media/the internet and not something that would have arisen naturally. Regular people are also to blame though, not just app makers. The first step to solving this is too smash all the routers and go back to living in the jungle times. Things were better back then.
Why is your height not higher? Do you a problem

I have no idea why I’m so short, it’s depressing
being female is better than being male and shirt because some men like short women
Original post by karl pilkington
being female is better than being male and shirt because some men like short women

I look like a child :frown: no one likes that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending