The Student Room Group

In Islam, if God takes something away He will replace it with something better

so say in my case you couldn’t study a particular course, how is that replaced with something better? nothing gets better than A levels, you’re now stuck at dead end manual working class jobs.

Scroll to see replies

Have sabr. You might end up at a good uni or be put onto a really exciting programme that helps you progress. You might be happier in that course or you might find a career you enjoy from that course. Do not think it's the end of the road, Allah is always with you! If you don't mind, could you tell me what course you're taking? It might be that you've overstated the importance of taking specific a levels when you might still be able to do things that interest you. Don't forget you can do AS levels self-taught if you want to, sociology and economics are easy from what I've heard. I'm assuming you want to go university if you're worried about a level subjects, most unis don't actually ask for specific subjects more specific grades. For example, I don't take philosophy or economics and yet I can still do PPE at Oxford if I achieve a minimum of AAA. I was really upset as I wanted to take philosophy but I was talked out of it by everyone and that is one of the components of PPE. Now, if anything, I'm more desirable because I do math A Level, it's a requirement and I didn't know that until I had a look. So don't despair, have sabr. Allah doesn't give you something because there is something greater around the corner. If you don't find that pleasure in this dunya, then rest assured it's waiting in the Akhirah.
It's not the end of the world. I'm sure you can find other courses which could also lead to decent paying jobs. You won't necessarily be stuck at "dead end manual working class jobs". What do you like studying? What're your hobbies/interests? Surely, there will be other courses which are right for you. You not being able to do this particular course may be for the best as it could lead to you doing something which results in better job opportunities at the end of it, Allah has a plan for everyone so don't give up.
Reply 3
Original post by bleeblahbleh
Have sabr. You might end up at a good uni or be put onto a really exciting programme that helps you progress. You might be happier in that course or you might find a career you enjoy from that course. Do not think it's the end of the road, Allah is always with you! If you don't mind, could you tell me what course you're taking? It might be that you've overstated the importance of taking specific a levels when you might still be able to do things that interest you. Don't forget you can do AS levels self-taught if you want to, sociology and economics are easy from what I've heard. I'm assuming you want to go university if you're worried about a level subjects, most unis don't actually ask for specific subjects more specific grades. For example, I don't take philosophy or economics and yet I can still do PPE at Oxford if I achieve a minimum of AAA. I was really upset as I wanted to take philosophy but I was talked out of it by everyone and that is one of the components of PPE. Now, if anything, I'm more desirable because I do math A Level, it's a requirement and I didn't know that until I had a look. So don't despair, have sabr. Allah doesn't give you something because there is something greater around the corner. If you don't find that pleasure in this dunya, then rest assured it's waiting in the Akhirah.

I dropped out, I was doing AS level Sociology, English literature and Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by shooonthebeat
It's not the end of the world. I'm sure you can find other courses which could also lead to decent paying jobs. You won't necessarily be stuck at "dead end manual working class jobs". What do you like studying? What're your hobbies/interests? Surely, there will be other courses which are right for you. You not being able to do this particular course may be for the best as it could lead to you doing something which results in better job opportunities at the end of it, Allah has a plan for everyone so don't give up.

I like academic subjects, specifically maths and english literature. I like watching tv and playing games, nothing more.
Original post by Anonymous
I dropped out, I was doing AS level Sociology, English literature and Maths.

Were they all AS? And could you not retake?
Reply 6

All AS, left because illness made me fail. Nope can’t retake, way over the age limit now, I’m 20
I like academic subjects, specifically maths and english literature. I like watching tv and playing games, nothing more.

If you like maths, you could enjoy subjects such as engineering. English literature opens up a lot of options for you, you could go into creative writing, journalism or whatever type of literature you are interested in.
Reply 8

can’t do it for free so can’t do it at all, thats how it works with working class
Why don't you do an Access to HE course?
All AS, left because illness made me fail. Nope can’t retake, way over the age limit now, I’m 20

A Levels aren't your only option. I'd recommend doing a level 3. I failed 2 out of 3 subjects at AS and moved on to do a level 3 course. It was a lot better for me as I was able to study something more interesting than the standard academic subjects available at A Levels.

Everyone likes watching TV and doing unproductive stuff, that's just human nature I think. But you can't let that get out of hand. It's okay to indulge a little into those habits from time to time, but you must be moderate with it. You need to schedule in set times to watch TV, say you have a show you watch, schedule that in when it airs, then schedule in productive work time. That way they things you like to do are self-care periods which is essential to balance out your routine. You just need to make a timetable or routine and stay consistent. One way to do this is by praying when it's time. I don't know if you pray or not, but if you don't then begin by doing the 5 salahs at the set times. Schedule around that and you'll find it's a lot easier to stick to the schedule.
Original post by shooonthebeat
A Levels aren't your only option. I'd recommend doing a level 3. I failed 2 out of 3 subjects at AS and moved on to do a level 3 course. It was a lot better for me as I was able to study something more interesting than the standard academic subjects available at A Levels.

level 3 meaning BTEC? Still over the age limit

I am academic its one subject which made me sick and I dropped out altogether because it made me fail everything. I just need to be well thats all then I can get the top grade in at least 2/3 subjects that I do.
Everyone likes watching TV and doing unproductive stuff, that's just human nature I think. But you can't let that get out of hand. It's okay to indulge a little into those habits from time to time, but you must be moderate with it. You need to schedule in set times to watch TV, say you have a show you watch, schedule that in when it airs, then schedule in productive work time. That way they things you like to do are self-care periods which is essential to balance out your routine. You just need to make a timetable or routine and stay consistent. One way to do this is by praying when it's time. I don't know if you pray or not, but if you don't then begin by doing the 5 salahs at the set times. Schedule around that and you'll find it's a lot easier to stick to the schedule.

I was asked what my hobbies and interests were, so I said watching tv and playing games.

There is no upper age limit for retaking it. Could you teach yourself and just pay for the exam? It's around £25 per exam you retake. If you don't want to do this, you could also have a look at MOOC courses online.
level 3 meaning BTEC? Still over the age limit

I am academic its one subject which made me sick and I dropped out altogether because it made me fail everything. I just need to be well thats all then I can get the top grade in at least 2/3 subjects that I do.

There is no age limit for level 3 courses but at your age you may have to pay for the course. I'm not sure if there is any student loan options available for that, you should do a bit of research into it.
I’ll never complete sixth form now and will always be looked down on for that and I am stuck at manual jobs for the rest of my life so how did God making me mentally disabled (meaning I am unable to study anything at all, even if its entry level) replace it with something better?
I’ll never complete sixth form now and will always be looked down on for that and I am stuck at manual jobs for the rest of my life so how did God making me mentally disabled (meaning I am unable to study anything at all, even if its entry level) replace it with something better?

in the hereafter you may gain a magnitude of reward for ur sabr
in the hereafter you may gain a magnitude of reward for ur sabr

and for being unhappy for the rest of my life

"with hardship comes ease".
There are so many stories in the Quran about how our prophets had to put up with so much and yet Allah still had their backs. Allah tests those He loves the most, and whilst that may not be something you want to hear right now, it is something that has kept me going. Our Nabbi went through so much, he lost all his sons, his wives died, his mother died and so did his father, his uncle was murdered, and He still had sabr. I'm not expecting you to have as much sabr, but all I'm saying is that Allah truly does test those He loves. Don't forget Muhammad was also illiterate! He couldn't read so the Angel Jibril would recite the Quran to him Ayah by Ayah and he would memorise it. If someone tells you you aren't enough for being unable to complete your studies, remind them the most influential man in the world could not read and yet today he is part of the Shahadah. You are better off without people who believe your worth does not lie with your character but with academic achievement. Honestly, I am sorry people think like this, it's utterly disgusting and I hope you know there are people who will see you for more than just the certificates you have to your name. The world is a cage to the believers remember?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending