The Student Room Group

HELP

Hi,I hope everyone is well.I am writing to get some major advice. I want to study radiography but I am so aweful with science and exams. I am a mature student looking to go to university.Science has always been my weakest subject and I have always struggled. I failed all my GCSE and gained a D in everything because of how bad I am with exams. I knkw I have to retake math and English and do a AH in a science related subject which I am willing to do.I really feel depressed and sad as anything I want to do is to do with science. I don't sleep at night for 2 years because of how desperate I want to do this course but feel u will fail miserably due to lack of academic skills.I have a level 3 BTEC National Diploma in business and gained a triple distinction on this because there was no exams in the qualification. I really need to know are their student like me out there studying a subject they really hate but the end goal or job perspective is their dream? I would be great in business, finance, marketing, accountancy, law etc but I have 0 passion for these subjects.Can I study this subject if I'm so weak at exams? And science?
I did Chiropractic work for my work experience and they said that the medical centre needs more radiographers (this was last year but I'm sure the need hasn't gone away). Lots of nurses and Doctors I've met have said that they weren't the best at school but the teachers wont just see your academic side. You need to have a passion for the work and for helping patients.
I think you should find a way to chat to a few nurses, try a nursing home? They usually take on nurses who may have contacts. Or just email a hospital.
I also struggle with academic subjects so I am going through an ADD/ADHD diagnosis to put in structures in my school/college life to help.
I agree with @GECHdesigns. I think you should approach a hospital and ask them as they would be able to ive you the best and most accurate advice in all honesty. Perhaps if you find you're not good at Science, identify what it is that you find so difficult about it. You said you received a D, but on the positive side this was not a U. D is one away from a C! Perhaps also give yourself credit as you are studying during a pandemic!

Further to this, you have proved from ur BTEC that you have potential to pass with high grades in certain subjects. If it is the fact that you struggle with written exams and the pressure of these, the best thing to do would probably be to approach a tutor to help you feel more secure with approaching online/written exams and the stress they bring.

Remember that although it feels stressful now and education can be difficult, you have done well and as long as you have done your best, that is primarily all that matters. :smile: Well done and all the best with Radiography if this is ultimately what you choose to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Amira_Jade
I agree with @GECHdesigns. I think you should approach a hospital and ask them as they would be able to ive you the best and most accurate advice in all honesty. Perhaps if you find you're not good at Science, identify what it is that you find so difficult about it. You said you received a D, but on the positive side this was not a U. D is one away from a C! Perhaps also give yourself credit as you are studying during a pandemic!

Further to this, you have proved from ur BTEC that you have potential to pass with high grades in certain subjects. If it is the fact that you struggle with written exams and the pressure of these, the best thing to do would probably be to approach a tutor to help you feel more secure with approaching online/written exams and the stress they bring.

Remember that although it feels stressful now and education can be difficult, you have done well and as long as you have done your best, that is primarily all that matters. :smile: Well done and all the best with Radiography if this is ultimately what you choose to do.

Hi
Thank your very much for your time.

Yes I will take your advice on board. My neighbour is a nurse and she said she thinks I should go for it.

I have spoken to a radiography teacher for access to higher education. Hs gave me some comfort with the course break down. I will pursue this and study access to higher education radiography. That will give me a huge insight weather i can do and an idea if I will enjoy this.

I will also contact other health care professionals and get their view on this. I have also contacted an agency where they hire HCA's in various departments. I may look to do voluntary while resitting my GCSE this may also help me get better insight if I feel I can do this.

Thank you a million for your advice. 🥰
Reply 4
Original post by GECHdesigns
I did Chiropractic work for my work experience and they said that the medical centre needs more radiographers (this was last year but I'm sure the need hasn't gone away). Lots of nurses and Doctors I've met have said that they weren't the best at school but the teachers wont just see your academic side. You need to have a passion for the work and for helping patients.
I think you should find a way to chat to a few nurses, try a nursing home? They usually take on nurses who may have contacts. Or just email a hospital.
I also struggle with academic subjects so I am going through an ADD/ADHD diagnosis to put in structures in my school/college life to help.

Hi,

Thank you so so much for your advice and time, I really appreciate it.

So I spoke to a teacher that teaches radiography Access to higher education, he gave me comfort as he said there were a number of students like me that he has come across.

Also I will be looking to volunteer 1 or 2 day a week as a HCA within the radiography department. This will help me know if its something I want to pursue and if I can do it.

I will also be emailing and contacting nursing homes as per your advice and take their take on this too! Hopefully I will know soon what I want to do. I'm nearly 30 and feel I have wasted my life away due to academic abilities but let's see, fingers crossed.

And wow you are doing great to be doing what you are doing with your diagnosis. I wish you all the very best for the future and hope you ace your academic studies. 🥰
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gurtek10
Hi
Thank your very much for your time.

Yes I will take your advice on board. My neighbour is a nurse and she said she thinks I should go for it.

I have spoken to a radiography teacher for access to higher education. Hs gave me some comfort with the course break down. I will pursue this and study access to higher education radiography. That will give me a huge insight weather i can do and an idea if I will enjoy this.

I will also contact other health care professionals and get their view on this. I have also contacted an agency where they hire HCA's in various departments. I may look to do voluntary while resitting my GCSE this may also help me get better insight if I feel I can do this.

Thank you a million for your advice. 🥰

No problem at all. Anything to help a fellow TSR user!

I wish you all the best with your studies. You have the right attitude to succeed with whatever grade you set your mind to. :smile: Good luck x
Original post by Gurtek10
Hi,

Thank you so so much for your advice and time, I really appreciate it.

So I spoke to a teacher that teaches radiography Access to higher education, he gave me comfort as he said there were a number of students like me that he has come across.

Also I will be looking to volunteer 1 or 2 day a week as a HCA within the radiography department. This will help me know if its something I want to pursue and if I can do it.

I will also be emailing and contacting nursing homes as per your advice and take their take on this too! Hopefully I will know soon what I want to do. I'm nearly 30 and feel I have wasted my life away due to academic abilities but let's see, fingers crossed.

And wow you are doing great to be doing what you are doing with your diagnosis. I wish you all the very best for the future and hope you ace your academic studies. 🥰

Hi,
Not a problem :-) I'm glad your chatting to like minded people! ...a good self esteem boost.

Age is just a number so don't you worry about your academic abilities its is just ONE form of measuring ONE form of intelligence there are many many other forms of intelligence like emotional intelligence. I hope your emails are productive fingers crossed.

Thank you for your encouragement with my diagnosis! I wish you all the best too :-)
Reply 7
Hi. Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking? I’m a mature student I was due to start my diagnostic radiography course next month but have decided to start next year. I’m not great at science however I’m currently doing two access to higher education courses and my gcse maths again so can offer you support if you need it! X
Reply 8
Original post by rjoco
Hi. Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking? I’m a mature student I was due to start my diagnostic radiography course next month but have decided to start next year. I’m not great at science however I’m currently doing two access to higher education courses and my gcse maths again so can offer you support if you need it!

Hi

Thank you for your reply! I'm from Birmingham! I'm going tonretake my maths GCSE from onwards. Just worried as I'm not that great with education so I'm not sure how I will do. I'm great at other subjects but math and science is a big no, I want to study this because of the nature of my job had some element of radiography (non-clinical) more admin area. Defo would he great to keep in touch as I need all the support I can get! I wish you all the best in your journey :smile:
Gurtek
Reply 9
Original post by rjoco
Hi. Where are you from if you don’t mind me asking? I’m a mature student I was due to start my diagnostic radiography course next month but have decided to start next year. I’m not great at science however I’m currently doing two access to higher education courses and my gcse maths again so can offer you support if you need it! X

Also may I ask why are you doing 2 access tonhigher education courses?
Reply 10
Hi Gurtek. I’m not far from you I’m fromWolverhampton and I’m 27 next month. I have self funded my courses however I know you are able to get them funded through a college. I’m not great at education either I work two jobs and sometimes it’s a struggle but it just depends how much you want it and how dedicated and committed you are. I don’t over work myself so I follow a timetable that I have made and study for a few hours a day or sometimes miss a day and do an extra hour the following day. If you have worked in a similar setting before there are some bank positions going as an X-ray assistant at Telford hospital if you want some more experience. I’m doing two access courses as I had started access to health professions at an adult education previously but didn’t complete it, so I had already completed some work and wanted to finish that qualification but had later saw access to radiography so the second one is for more knowledge and personal development. I’ll be studying at BCU next year.
Reply 11
Original post by rjoco
Hi Gurtek. I’m not far from you I’m fromWolverhampton and I’m 27 next month. I have self funded my courses however I know you are able to get them funded through a college. I’m not great at education either I work two jobs and sometimes it’s a struggle but it just depends how much you want it and how dedicated and committed you are. I don’t over work myself so I follow a timetable that I have made and study for a few hours a day or sometimes miss a day and do an extra hour the following day. If you have worked in a similar setting before there are some bank positions going as an X-ray assistant at Telford hospital if you want some more experience. I’m doing two access courses as I had started access to health professions at an adult education previously but didn’t complete it, so I had already completed some work and wanted to finish that qualification but had later saw access to radiography so the second one is for more knowledge and personal development. I’ll be studying at BCU next year.

Ahh thats great insight! Thank you. Yes I'm very determined. U have a 2 year old aswell but I have just resigned from my job to go back into education, this will free up alot of time. Will have a look at Telford Bank positions too! Sounds great. I'm going to do my retakes then access to higher education in radiography, hopefully this will give me better insight weather i want to continue with the course at uni. I just fear I'm aweful at science so hopefully I can work around that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest