The Student Room Group

biomed sci to graduate entry medicine?

Hi guys, just wanted to ask how common is it for biomed graduates to get into graduate entry medicine? Like what are the acceptance ratios and how common?
Original post by liverpool10*
Hi guys, just wanted to ask how common is it for biomed graduates to get into graduate entry medicine? Like what are the acceptance ratios and how common?

i plan to do this. all i know is that it is more competitive as there are less spaces.
As above, it's generally more competitive and it's not unusual to have to apply over two or more years to eventually get in.

I used to help with a GEM programme admissions and the applications to available place ratio was around 10:1.
It should only be an route if you've exhausted all other options first. We see people on here who designated it their first choice route, and it is beyond ridiculous.
Reply 4
Original post by liverpool10*

I 100% would not recommend doing a degree with the sole aim of doing GEM, this is because it's much more competitive, more expensive and takes much longer. You will be competing against people who have multiple degrees and you will need a really high GAMSAT score to even have a competitive application.

My advice would be to resit your A Levels, and get AAA then apply again this October for September 2022 intake. If you have widening participation flags you can also apply to foundation year medicine, which is just medicine with an additional year but has entry requirements which are usually around BBB.

Let me know if you got anymore questions regarding medicine or its application process.
Original post by SyedN
I 100% would not recommend doing a degree with the sole aim of doing GEM, this is because it's much more competitive, more expensive and takes much longer. You will be competing against people who have multiple degrees and you will need a really high GAMSAT score to even have a competitive application.

My advice would be to resit your A Levels, and get AAA then apply again this October for September 2022 intake. If you have widening participation flags you can also apply to foundation year medicine, which is just medicine with an additional year but has entry requirements which are usually around BBB.

Let me know if you got anymore questions regarding medicine or its application process.

My only addition to this would be that some Med School's will not accept resits. First attempt only.

Quick Reply

Latest