The Student Room Group

Can you transfer universities after a foundation year

I know that I will need to take a foundation year but I was hoping to do it closer to my home, and then transfer to a different uni further away for year 1. I was wondering if this is possible and easy to do, or will it really complicate matters.
Yes you can. Speak with your tutor and contact other universities that you're interested in then take it from there
Original post by sharkdemon
I know that I will need to take a foundation year but I was hoping to do it closer to my home, and then transfer to a different uni further away for year 1. I was wondering if this is possible and easy to do, or will it really complicate matters.

Foundation years are designed for entry to that Uni's main degree course only. They are not stand-alone 'qualifications' and are not transferable to other Universities because they do not have a set syllabus - or academic standard.

The exception to this is an International Foundation program or an Art & Design Foundation, but for 'normal' Year 0 courses you shouldn't start a Foundation year at any Uni where you don't want to do their degree.

it might complicate matters. The new uni has no obligation to accept your foundation year, they might not think you are up to the muster.

Can you? Yes
Is it easy? No
Will it complicate matters? Sometimes

Foundation years aren’t a recognised qualification and aren’t universally accepted for entry to other universities.

To transfer you have to fill out a new ucas application with a PS and a reference from your foundation university.

If you’re using student loans to fund your studies then moving from yr 0 at one university to yr 1 at a new university will be counted by SFE as a repeat/restart year and will therefore use up your gift year of funding.

In 90% of cases it is better to resit/repeat A levels instead of taking a foundation year
ive got a question, per say u wanted to do a foundation year and then transfer to another university and they’re willing to accept the foundation year in order to apply. when would you apply?? by 15th jan like the rest of the applicants? or would you have to wait till the end of the year and get your grades first??
Reply 6
I think I have to apply by Jan with the rest of UCAS applications from what I've researched
Original post by zara8765
ive got a question, per say u wanted to do a foundation year and then transfer to another university and they’re willing to accept the foundation year in order to apply. when would you apply?? by 15th jan like the rest of the applicants? or would you have to wait till the end of the year and get your grades first??

To maximise your chances you should submit any application for yr 1 entry before the January deadline.
I think I have to apply by Jan with the rest of UCAS applications from what I've researched

thank
Original post by PQ
To maximise your chances you should submit any application for yr 1 entry before the January deadline.

thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending