The Student Room Group

Got caught driving with a provisional holder and was due to take test

I'm gutted and also worried I am due to have my test and I went to pick my 1st car up ....on the way home I got pulled as it wasent insured I'm a provisional holder and payed £100 for no tax and mot and £50 for not holding a full licence wot will happen next ? I was told I'd get a letter to how there guna deal with me next for the no insurance as any body got any ideas plz

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well that was an incredibly stupid thing to do wasn’t it.

As soon as you pass your test you will probably have your licence revoked, be banned from driving for a while and have to retake your test once your ban has expired.

You’ll also have to declare it to your car insurance when you do eventually get a full licence and your car insurance will be significantly more expensive as a result.
Reply 2
Original post by DonDuck
Well that was an incredibly stupid thing to do wasn’t it.

As soon as you pass your test you will probably have your licence revoked, be banned from driving for a while and have to retake your test once your ban has expired.

You’ll also have to declare it to your car insurance when you do eventually get a full licence and your car insurance will be significantly more expensive as a result.

If he gets a ban then yes, once he passes his test it'll instantly be revoked. If it's points however, I believe they just sit there (even if it's more than six, so long as it's less than twelve) and you still keep your licence once you pass. The caveat being that *any* points accrued after passing will cause him to have his licence revoked.
Reply 3
Original post by Nuffles
If he gets a ban then yes, once he passes his test it'll instantly be revoked. If it's points however, I believe they just sit there (even if it's more than six, so long as it's less than twelve) and you still keep your licence once you pass. The caveat being that *any* points accrued after passing will cause him to have his licence revoked.

If a new driver incurs 6 points within their first 2 years I think the licence gets revoked anyway.

I'm not sure what the punishment for driving unsupervised on a provisional is, but driving without insurance is generally a minimum of 6 points.

The fact OP not only didn't have insurance but was also driving unsupervised will probably count against them too.
Reply 4
Original post by Chanie75
I'm gutted and also worried I am due to have my test and I went to pick my 1st car up ....on the way home I got pulled as it wasent insured I'm a provisional holder and payed £100 for no tax and mot and £50 for not holding a full licence wot will happen next ? I was told I'd get a letter to how there guna deal with me next for the no insurance as any body got any ideas plz

You're not going to be driving for a while.
Don't bother doing your test. Cancel it and let someone more deserving take your place.

Stay off the roads. You do not deserve to drive on them.
Reply 5
yeah but it's not you're fault just say everyone else in you're family can't drive or someat---idk but I'd be cryingggggggggggggg
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
You're not going to be driving for a while.
Don't bother doing your test. Cancel it and let someone more deserving take your place.

Stay off the roads. You do not deserve to drive on them.

lol looks like we know who's dad pulled you up
Reply 7
ohh and back to ur question just appeal and complain that you're normally a law abiding citezen blah blahhh-ur quite new to the driving world etccc-- (worth giving it a shot-got nothing to lose I guess but complain formally and politely ) acknowledge what you did was wrong but you weren't aware--maybe write a letter?
Reply 8
Original post by R_A_A
ohh and back to ur question just appeal and complain that you're normally a law abiding citezen blah blahhh-ur quite new to the driving world etccc-- (worth giving it a shot-got nothing to lose I guess but complain formally and politely ) acknowledge what you did was wrong but you weren't aware--maybe write a letter?

You are clueless.

Haha you're ****ed
Original post by IWMTom
You are clueless.

No Tom, it’s simple. They’ll just write a “formal complaint” to The Police, (not the band), explain that they didn’t know they needed to be insured or supervised but that they are a law abiding citizen. Job done.
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
No Tom, it’s simple. They’ll just write a “formal complaint” to The Police, (not the band), explain that they didn’t know they needed to be insured or supervised but that they are a law abiding citizen. Job done.

PRSOM :laugh:
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
You are clueless.

and you're wat... helpful ?!! ffs
Reply 13
Original post by R_A_A

The OP is beyond help.
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
The OP is beyond help.

:biggrin: keep telling urself that
Original post by R_A_A

I think the problem with your advice, the real nuts and bolts problem, is that the OP can’t claim to be a “law abiding citizen” when they admit to breaking the law in their own post.

Yeah, I think that’s it.

The bar for bad advice in Cars & Motoring is very low, and I can assure you that yours is amongst the worst I’ve ever read.

OP: The police pulled me for driving uninsured, without supervision in a car with no tax or MOT.
You: Write a complaint.

*slow clap*
Original post by R_A_A
:biggrin: keep telling urself that

Shut up you moron
Reply 17

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1162771
Reply 18
It's worth saying that driving alone on a provisional is called driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence, carries 3-6 points and upto £1000 fine if you decide to contest it in court and lose (which you will).
Driving without tax is a maximum fine of £1000 in court, no points.
Driving without insurance is £300 fine in court and 6-8 penalty points.

So even if you don't decide to go to court you're still looking at a minimum of 9 points and a maximum of 14, along with the fees from the fixed penalty notices.

You will be losing your licence, as you cannot even contest that you need to drive for work, as you are not a full licence holder currently.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Admit-One
I think the problem with your advice, the real nuts and bolts problem, is that the OP can’t claim to be a “law abiding citizen” when they admit to breaking the law in their own post.

Yeah, I think that’s it.

The bar for bad advice in Cars & Motoring is very low, and I can assure you that yours is amongst the worst I’ve ever read.

OP: The police pulled me for driving uninsured, without supervision in a car with no tax or MOT.
You: Write a complaint.

*slow clap*

thank you, you made me laugh

Quick Reply

Latest