The Student Room Group

Help there is a mouse in my flat and i dont know what to do

Last night I was going to get some water and I saw a mouse running across my kitchen and I left it there because I was too scared to do anything. I don’t even know how it got in here but I do know that my neighbours have mice in their garden. I don’t know if I should leave it or kill it.
Keep it as a pet
Just leave it, they’re harmless. Make sure you don’t leave any uncovered food though but other than that just let it be.
Buy a cat and name it tom
Reply 5
Original post by Alecia Jones
Last night I was going to get some water and I saw a mouse running across my kitchen and I left it there because I was too scared to do anything. I don’t even know how it got in here but I do know that my neighbours have mice in their garden. I don’t know if I should leave it or kill it.

Original post by Celtic Conjurer
Just leave it, they’re harmless. Make sure you don’t leave any uncovered food though but other than that just let it be.

if you leave it pretty soon you'll probably not just be dealing with one mouse. he will bring his friends ...or have babies etc
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tej3141
Buy a cat and name it tom

😂😂😂😂
I would burn the house down
Reply 8
I'd sleep in the car-----get poison or someat call flipping pest control during the day---i'd be dead by now
Dress up as cheese.
Original post by Alecia Jones

Mice are very unhygienic - you need to get rid of them [there's never just one]. If you are a tenant then askyour landlord to deal with it otherwise get a trap/poison.
If you are going to use a trap then electric ones are best, the classic tom and jerry style break their backs and its a very painful death :frown: same with glue traps, these leave them to die for hours or days and can trap other wildlife.

If its coming from outside in from a certain point try sprinkling around that area with chilli powder, mice have very sensitive wet noses. We got a rid a vole in the garden using chill powder.

If you need a lure for the bait chocolate is better, mice prefer chocolate over cheese (obviously not to feed a pet mouse this)

doesn't work with the smart mice though
for instance jerome "jerry" mouse used a candy cane

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by yeetouttawindow
doesn't work with the smart mice though
for instance jerry mouse used a candy cane to pull the cheese off the trap

My impression is they are pretty effective. If you use poison you just end up with mouse corpses in your walls, im sure they don’t always work but seem to do the job most of the time.
Reply 14
Original post by CoolCavy
If you are going to use a trap then electric ones are best, the classic tom and jerry style break their backs and its a very painful death :frown: same with glue traps, these leave them to die for hours or days and can trap other wildlife.

If its coming from outside in from a certain point try sprinkling around that area with chilli powder, mice have very sensitive wet noses. We got a rid a vole in the garden using chill powder.

If you need a lure for the bait chocolate is better, mice prefer chocolate over cheese (obviously not to feed a pet mouse this)

Glue traps are going to be banned very soon.
Make sure there's no source of food around, clean your house well and put your food in tupperware boxes if you can, just something so the mouse can't access it. Without a source of food you may find that you just don't get the mouse again so it's worth a try before taking steps to trap it.

If you think your neighbours are contributing to the problem (perhaps leaving food sources outside, i've heard of it happening when neighbours leave out too much food for the birds for example) then it may be worth having a talk with them to see if they'll clean up whatever their issue is. If they are the cause and won't change anything then you may also have grounds to complain to the council to take action against them.
Original post by GavinB
Glue traps are going to be banned very soon.

That is welcome news :smile: took them long enough :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest