The Student Room Group

Help on isomerism and nomenclature

Photo will be down below, please help me if you can.
Original post by Sdrame56677
Photo will be down below, please help me if you can.

04807062-F032-4F16-A5D7-D5F751CCA837.jpeg
Reply 2
Hi,
So to help with the nomenclature. the middle left hand side compound is quite close to correct. But you combine the three chloros into trichloro. Still with the numbers. I hope that makes sense ?
Also, on the bottom right hand one, I think they are looking for E/Z isomers. So you flip the CH3 and H.
Let me know if I can explain anything more clearly, or if I can help with any other questions
Original post by Beantime
Hi,
So to help with the nomenclature. the middle left hand side compound is quite close to correct. But you combine the three chloros into trichloro. Still with the numbers. I hope that makes sense ?
Also, on the bottom right hand one, I think they are looking for E/Z isomers. So you flip the CH3 and H.
Let me know if I can explain anything more clearly, or if I can help with any other questions

So would the middle right be 1-bromo-2-3-5-trichloro-benzene and could you also help me with the middle left and bottom right please. Thank you.
Original post by Sdrame56677
So would the middle right be 1-bromo-2-3-5-trichloro-benzene and could you also help me with the middle left and bottom right please. Thank you.

The middle right would be 1,2,3-Triethyl cyclohex-1,3,5-ene. Middle left would be 1 bromo, 2,3,5 trichloro cyclohex-1,3,5-ene. Bottom right would be z-3 methyl pent-2-ene
Original post by gogrizz123
The middle right would be 1,2,3-Triethyl cyclohex-1,3,5-ene. Middle left would be 1 bromo, 2,3,5 trichloro cyclohex-1,3,5-ene. Bottom right would be z-3 methyl pent-2-ene

Thank you very much, your help is very much appreciated.
The middle right would be 1,2,3-Triethyl cyclohex-1,3,5-ene. Is it possible to be 1,3,5 -triethyl benzene?
Middle left would be 1 bromo, 2,3,5 trichloro cyclohex-1,3,5-ene. Is it possible to be 1-bromo-2,3,5-trichlorobenzene?
Because I find the previous post to discuss the cyclohexa-1,3,5-triene DOES NOT EXIST.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1663939
Original post by deskochan
The middle right would be 1,2,3-Triethyl cyclohex-1,3,5-ene. Is it possible to be 1,3,5 -triethyl benzene?
Middle left would be 1 bromo, 2,3,5 trichloro cyclohex-1,3,5-ene. Is it possible to be 1-bromo-2,3,5-trichlorobenzene?
Because I find the previous post to discuss the cyclohexa-1,3,5-triene DOES NOT EXIST.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1663939

benzene would have a circle in the middle of the hexagon, there is no circle in the hexagon only double bonds, hence its cyclohex-1,3,5-ene and not benzene.
Would anyone like to confirm
1) chlorophenylmethane
2)3-methylpentane, because the C2H5 can be counted as carbon 1 and 2 to make the chain longer
3)1-Bromo-2,3,5-trichlorocyclohex-1,3-5ene
4) Triethylcyclohex-1,3,5-ene
5)hard to show on here but the name is butylcyclohex-1,3,5-ene I think?
6)this isomer is Z-3-methylpent-2-ene so you would draw E-3-methylpent-2-ene I believe as this is EZ isomerism

Quick Reply

Latest