The Student Room Group

A level physics

How was a level physics was it bad? I think I might get a 7 at gcse but I’m reluctant to pick it as it seems hard and I want a top grade at a-level as in an A or A* but I don’t know if I’m making a mistake picking physics become I struggled with some topics at gcse like electricity. Also how are chemistry and maths because I want to do maths, physics and chemistry
Reply 1
I’m in year 12 currently studying Maths Economics Physics and Chemistry. Physics was so easy at gcse but in sixth form it’s so different. But as long as you manage your time and revision it should be calm. It’s the hardest subject I study. Chemistry is actually calm. I would get B’s and I got an A. So you definitely can get an A for chemistry. As for Maths now I’m good at it cus I’ve actually done the most revision for this but some people don’t like it and find it very hard. Chemistry you should pick, it’s fun never boring. Maths if you’re good at it. If you struggle with topics in gcse physics then you should really reconsider picking it. I’m pretty sure you can change your subjects on results day and the first week of Sixth form. Don’t stress it. Career wise physics is most rewarding subject, it’s a highly respected A-level. Any type of engineering physics is pretty much required or highly preferred. Chemistry also opens a lot of doors for courses to study at uni. Most unis actually prefer students with 2 science subjects and one of the maths.
Original post by Flxmz
I’m in year 12 currently studying Maths Economics Physics and Chemistry. Physics was so easy at gcse but in sixth form it’s so different. But as long as you manage your time and revision it should be calm. It’s the hardest subject I study. Chemistry is actually calm. I would get B’s and I got an A. So you definitely can get an A for chemistry. As for Maths now I’m good at it cus I’ve actually done the most revision for this but some people don’t like it and find it very hard. Chemistry you should pick, it’s fun never boring. Maths if you’re good at it. If you struggle with topics in gcse physics then you should really reconsider picking it. I’m pretty sure you can change your subjects on results day and the first week of Sixth form. Don’t stress it. Career wise physics is most rewarding subject, it’s a highly respected A-level. Any type of engineering physics is pretty much required or highly preferred. Chemistry also opens a lot of doors for courses to study at uni. Most unis actually prefer students with 2 science subjects and one of the maths.

I do a level biology and i find it so difficult, i don't know how to revise properly and affectively do you have any tips?
in almost all of my exams for biology i've been getting D's and E's and today i actually got a U for my mocks... i know the grade boundary is high but i feel like i'm just fallling behind everyone else and i don't know how to catch up. My teachers have talked about either quitting Biology or doing an AS but idk if i'll get into the course i want with and AS
Reply 3
Original post by Mitchiscrying
I do a level biology and i find it so difficult, i don't know how to revise properly and affectively do you have any tips?
in almost all of my exams for biology i've been getting D's and E's and today i actually got a U for my mocks... i know the grade boundary is high but i feel like i'm just fallling behind everyone else and i don't know how to catch up. My teachers have talked about either quitting Biology or doing an AS but idk if i'll get into the course i want with and AS

Start practice papers. Even though you prolly don’t know the content inside out. If you practice papers you’re putting yourself ahead of everyone else. I have a couple friends who do biology and they said the mark scheme is so specific so if I were you I’d just be constantly doing practice papers and marking it. Also any particular topics you struggle with just search up on YouTube. Also cramming actually works. It’s insane the amount of work you can actually get done with it although teachers don’t advise it. Since school is about to come to an end I say you just work as hard you can for now then enjoy your summer. Put blood, sweat and tears into your revision. The hard work will pay off! Goodluck
Original post by unknownm123
How was a level physics was it bad? I think I might get a 7 at gcse but I’m reluctant to pick it as it seems hard and I want a top grade at a-level as in an A or A* but I don’t know if I’m making a mistake picking physics become I struggled with some topics at gcse like electricity. Also how are chemistry and maths because I want to do maths, physics and chemistry

With A-Level physics many people say not to pick unless u want to do something as a career or at uni that requires it, I am starting uni this September and am doing computer science. Idk why i picked physics, only reason I can think of I'd because there was no other subject that my school offered that appealed to me. With A-Level physics it is all about constant practice, my teacher sort of drilled it into our heads that practice needs to be done from the get go, even if u sit down once or twice a week whether it is during the week or on the weekend, u need to constant go over what you have learned and do lots of exam practice. Without the exam practice, you may not get access to the higher grade as the top end questions require very good problem solving skills and the way to improve your problem solving skills is by doing lots of exam questions.

When I started physics in year 12, I made the mistake of being hit and miss with the recap that I used to do and just revised the content rather than doing practice thinking it would be good enough, I was hit with reality when we did a test and my mark was in the single figures and the test was out of like 40 Mark's I believe. Ever since then I got myself together and sat down twice a week (once during the school week and once during the weekend) to go over what we learnt and do exam practice. I stuck to that cycle and by March (last year) we did a year 12 mock and I managed to get an A.

So yeah with physics it's all about constant repetition but MORE exam practice
Original post by unknownm123

Hi there,

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

I studied maths, physics and design engineering at A-Levels.

Both maths and physics are hard subjects and are a big step up from GCSE. So its best to know what you're getting into. You will be okay going in with a 7, but both subjects will require a lot of work and revision time so be prepared for that.

I would recommend talking to your subject teachers and tutor to discuss your best options.

I hope this helps.
Ethan - UOP Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest