The Student Room Group

can I still get into med school???

I got low grades in english and biology I got 5's in each. However at the start of yr 12 I wasn't considering doing medicine so I didn't retake (because of coronavirus). Is there anything I can do to make up for the biology grade? I'm trying to get the school to let me retake english in yr 13.
Is it still possible for me to get into medicine. I want to do a MBBS or MBChb.
Reply 1
Original post by talia1010
I got low grades in english and biology I got 5's in each. However at the start of yr 12 I wasn't considering doing medicine so I didn't retake (because of coronavirus). Is there anything I can do to make up for the biology grade? I'm trying to get the school to let me retake english in yr 13.

What are you taking at A Level?
Reply 2
Original post by Kerzen

Chemistry, physics and maths
Reply 3
Original post by Kerzen

Physics, Chemistry and Maths
Reply 4
Yes, you can just resit those GCSEs if not you can still apply to universities but you will be limited as most require a 6. You could look at applying at universities that do not look at GCSEs at all, which are Newcastle or Cambridge.
Reply 5
Original post by talia1010

I would say that there's definitely a chance for you to still get in! There's a few universities that don't look at GCSEs at all, for example someone else mentioned Newcastle which I know for sure. I have a few on my list which you might want to double check online but the ones I have written down that don't specify GCSEs are Cambridge, Imperial College, Newcastle, Oxford and Southampton. Again, I don't know if that's 100% accurate so you will have to check on individual university's websites for this!
You'll also have to check which universities don't require biology, I know some of them only require chemistry but you'll have to do your own individual research on this :smile:
Yes it is still possible! Just look specifically at each uni with their requirements for resits, I am not sure if it applies to GCSEs but some med schools do not accept A Level resits so check if it's true with GCSEs as well! :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by jenniferxr16
I would say that there's definitely a chance for you to still get in! There's a few universities that don't look at GCSEs at all, for example someone else mentioned Newcastle which I know for sure. I have a few on my list which you might want to double check online but the ones I have written down that don't specify GCSEs are Cambridge, Imperial College, Newcastle, Oxford and Southampton. Again, I don't know if that's 100% accurate so you will have to check on individual university's websites for this!
You'll also have to check which universities don't require biology, I know some of them only require chemistry but you'll have to do your own individual research on this :smile:

Oxford score GCSEs for entry and the average successful applicant had around 10 grade 9s (off the top my head) so I definitely would avoid Oxford, it’s best to retake any gcse English maths or science below a grade 6
Reply 8
Original post by ng11
Oxford score GCSEs for entry and the average successful applicant had around 10 grade 9s (off the top my head) so I definitely would avoid Oxford, it’s best to retake any gcse English maths or science below a grade 6

Ah, thank you for correcting me! The website wasn't clear to me :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ng11

8s and 9s are seen as the same at Oxford and just to build on this, I'd recommend avoiding GCSE heavy unis such as Leeds, Oxford, Liverpool and Cardiff (there's others as well I just remember these from the top of my head).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending