The Student Room Group

RAF - weapons support officer - medical

Hello, wondering if you could all advise me. I am 30 and have never had an asthma attack in my life. I have asthma on my medical record as a child but I think it was more hayfever related as it was at the same time looking at my medical record when I was 9 I have never needed my inhalers or used them or had the prescriptions even though they are on my medical history I don’t ever order the prescriptions because I have no need. Although last august I had some inhalers prescribed because I had an ongoing cough for no reason and they just got some prescribed for me for no good reason just to try and see although again I didn’t use them because I knew they wouldn’t help. Can I do some medical tests at my doctor’s to prove I don’t need inhalers or that I am no longer/never was. I never wheeze never suffer with it. Please tell me it’s not a straight no, really disheartened form what I am reading but I genuinely have never suffered or had any issues or symptoms.
Reply 1
Original post by Kims1991
Hello, wondering if you could all advise me. I am 30 and have never had an asthma attack in my life. I have asthma on my medical record as a child but I think it was more hayfever related as it was at the same time looking at my medical record when I was 9 I have never needed my inhalers or used them or had the prescriptions even though they are on my medical history I don’t ever order the prescriptions because I have no need. Although last august I had some inhalers prescribed because I had an ongoing cough for no reason and they just got some prescribed for me for no good reason just to try and see although again I didn’t use them because I knew they wouldn’t help. Can I do some medical tests at my doctor’s to prove I don’t need inhalers or that I am no longer/never was. I never wheeze never suffer with it. Please tell me it’s not a straight no, really disheartened form what I am reading but I genuinely have never suffered or had any issues or symptoms.

If you've been prescribed inhalers then you're going to have an uphill battle; a doctor somewhere has decided you need them, that you've not taken then is irrelevant, they're on your medical records.

At best you'll likely get TMU and asked to come back later. Getting into the realms of extra tests is tricky and not guaranteed to work.

If you had them prescribed last August then my - completely unofficial - guess is that it's going to be a no.

Ultimately, the only way you'll know is by applying.

Though, it's worth being clear on what you're applying for. Are you going for Weapons System Officer? If so, as an aircrew branch, there's a much lower tolerance for that kind of medical history.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest