The Student Room Group

Private or uni accommodation

I am going into first year and i am considering a private accommodation or uni accomodation. Does anyone have any advice on which one is better
Thanks
private will be very expensive.
first years are usually guaranteed halls, but they vary in price and quality so you’d have to get on the website and have a good look.
It depends on your income, savings and personal preferences.
I used to rent rooms in private London houseshares because I couldn't afford to live in student only accomodation.
Reply 3
Original post by lucyyy12
private will be very expensive.
first years are usually guaranteed halls, but they vary in price and quality so you’d have to get on the website and have a good look.

Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
Id say go with uni accom. I went with it for 2020/21 and was the best choice. Most private accoms were stingy and didnt wanna refund people for not living there. My accom stopped charging us as soon as we werent allowed there. Was great. Private is also a lot of money for what you get. I found that most private halls were over 44 week contracts where my accom was 39 which was all i needed which reduced the price massively as i wasnt paying for an empty room. At the end of the day its only for a year and most accoms are the same anyway its whether you wanna live in luxury or standard for a year. If i were you id avoid dwelling on the thought of private v uni and go with what you are comfortable with and what you think is better value (depends on money of course). Write a pros and cons list of each accom you look at, defo an eye opener

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Jasmin3
I am going into first year and i am considering a private accommodation or uni accomodation. Does anyone have any advice on which one is better
Thanks

Hi Jasmin3

Congratulations on your offer, whereabouts are you going?

I would recommend going into the University Accommodation for at least the first year. It will give you a chance to find your feet with other people who are in the situation as you, you will also have an opportunity to have a look around the area and see what sort of accommodation is available for your second year, what streets to avoid, and what streets you like the most, what landlords are good, and which ones to avoid etc, etc. You may well find somebody from your University accommodation who may be willing to rent with you in future, such as a friend who actually does their washing up, or doesn't have other irritating habits.

Best of luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep
Reply 6
I personally think private accommodation is better as once you reach second year you’re not guaranteed a place in the uni accommodation as you’re typically expected to find your own place by then so you may as well start in the private accommodation to save you the hassle of looking for a private accommodation later. That’s my mindset anyway
Reply 7
Original post by Ten-Ten
I personally think private accommodation is better as once you reach second year you’re not guaranteed a place in the uni accommodation as you’re typically expected to find your own place by then so you may as well start in the private accommodation to save you the hassle of looking for a private accommodation later. That’s my mindset anyway

thanks for ur help
Original post by Ten-Ten

Some universities offer accommodation for every student regardless of what year they are in, undergraduate or post graduate. The University of Hull is one such place. As I said before, if you are moving to a new city or town it can be difficult to know what is available and where are the best streets / areas. Far better to get to know the areas around Uni first.

Chris
University of Hull Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending