The Student Room Group

Can I achieve a first in third year?

So I will be starting third year in September and I was wondering how realistic it would be to aim for a possible first in third year, I have an average of 57% in first year and an average of 60% in my second year. Is it achievable?

First year results:

Second year results:
Hey Chloeeee555!

Do you know what percentage each year is worth? Like my first year didn't count, 2nd year is worth 25%, and final year is 75%. :smile:
I would say you need to pull your socks up. If they're weighted, like 20:80 you'll need about 72.5% and if they're weighted 40:60 you'd need 76.7%. That's a considerable jump (especially if you're not doing a science subject) from consistent 2:1s/2:2s throughout your degree, so you'll definitely need to review where you've been going wrong so far.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chloeeee555
So I will be starting third year in September and I was wondering how realistic it would be to aim for a possible first in third year, I have an average of 57% in first year and an average of 60% in my second year. Is it achievable?

First year results:

Second year results:

I think you need to be realistic about what you can achieve and focus on that. You have never scored at or above 70 so unless you have been actively sleeping your way through years 1 and 2 that’s not suddenly going to change. A solid 2:1 looks doable, but getting every mark from here on in well above 70 is unlikely TBH.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BashfulStudent22
Hey Chloeeee555!

Do you know what percentage each year is worth? Like my first year didn't count, 2nd year is worth 25%, and final year is 75%. :smile:

So first year is worth 10%, second year, 30% and 60% for final year
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
I would say you need to pull your socks up. If they're weighted, like 20:80 you'll need about 72.5% and if they're weighted 40:60 you'd need 76.7%. That's a considerable jump (especially if you're not doing a science subject) from consistent 2:1s/2:2s throughout your degree, so you'll definitely need to review where you've been going wrong so far.

Yeah I know, I feel like my essays are lacking but I really do try my hardest, is there anyway I could improve on my essay writing to get those consistent marks throughout third year?
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Wednesday
I think you need to be realistic about what you can achieve and focus on that. You have never scored at or above 70 so unless you have been actively sleeping your way through years 1 and 2 that’s not suddenly going to change. A solid 2:1 looks doable, but getting every mark from here on in well above 70 is unlikely TBH.

Yeah it does seem a bit unlikely, however I’m willing to give it my all to achieve a first, I’m in track to get a 2:1 very easily so if I really push myself I might do it
Reply 7
Original post by Chloeeee555
Yeah I know, I feel like my essays are lacking but I really do try my hardest, is there anyway I could improve on my essay writing to get those consistent marks throughout third year?

You need to look at the feedback you got for each piece of work, and use that to figure out what your weaknesses are. Then improve on those areas.

If you don't understand understand the feedback, then approach the module leader and ask if they can go through the work with you. The question to ask is "how could I have improved this work to get a better mark?".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending