The Student Room Group

Biochemistry or Dentistry

Hi! So i’m deciding on my uni course for next year, and i’m very interested in sciences and any type of science subject. (I’m taking maths,chem,bio)

I’ve been looking at biochemistry, natural sciences and biomedical sciences which all look really good but i’m not sure on the job prospects afterwards and have heard that they’re not very useful without any further degrees. I’d also prefer to work a future job that isn’t in research and involves more talking to people and a social/practical aspect.

So i came across dentistry: i enjoyed all the work experience i’ve done in it and would love to work in it in the future. But I’m still not 100% sure it’s right for me and if i will change my mind in the future. Since It’s a very specific degree and doesn’t really leave many options available.

So i’m a bit stuck between the two. I’m aware that you can do graduate dentistry but it would be very expensive for me to do two courses like this.
(And i would rather not take a gap year as I’m already a year behind for personal reasons).

Did anyone have difficulty choosing between a science degree and medicine/dentistry?
And how did you know i what was the right choice?

I’m considering just going for dentistry but i’m scared that i’ll change my mind and regret it or be stuck later. Any advice would be great! Thanks!!
What is it about dentistry that makes you doubt your commitment?
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
What is it about dentistry that makes you doubt your commitment?

I’ve never studied dentistry as a subject, unlike bio/chem (apart from my work experience). I’m afraid that i might lose interest when actually learning the content since it’s completely new.

And the fact that the degree is so specific it’ll be difficult to do something else later on if i change my mind.
Original post by Martin13
I’ve never studied dentistry as a subject, unlike bio/chem (apart from my work experience). I’m afraid that i might lose interest when actually learning the content since it’s completely new.

And the fact that the degree is so specific it’ll be difficult to do something else later on if i change my mind.

The theoretical content covers a large aspect of medicine, but with a greater focus on the head and neck region. There’s also aspects of dental materials science and smaller focuses on ethics, psychology and sociology (the latter making up a much smaller proportion).

Obviously there’s also the practical skills of dentistry (and to a smaller extent, medicine) to learn.

With regards to switching careers, this is possible, as it is with medicine although it won’t be easy. Both medicine and dentistry graduates have in the past decided to leave their professions. It would be more difficult if you don’t have the relevant experience for your new field of interest, but that applies to most degrees in general: these days it’s your experience, rather than the degree itself which is important.
"I enjoyed all the work experience i’ve done in it and would love to work in it in the future" This is that defining statement that dentistry is calling for you.
You need to realise most healthcare professional students don't actually have a great deal of understanding of the profession or degree they are going into, it's basically faking it till you make it, and the fact you have gotten that work experience in and have not hated it means you have that willingness to take part in clinics etc
You want prospects/jobs well... biochemistry in general tends to lead into further research/lab work so I would definitely go with dentistry and if it does not work out take biochemistry through clearing
Reply 5
The theoretical content covers a large aspect of medicine, but with a greater focus on the head and neck region. There’s also aspects of dental materials science and smaller focuses on ethics, psychology and sociology (the latter making up a much smaller proportion).

Obviously there’s also the practical skills of dentistry (and to a smaller extent, medicine) to learn.

With regards to switching careers, this is possible, as it is with medicine although it won’t be easy. Both medicine and dentistry graduates have in the past decided to leave their professions. It would be more difficult if you don’t have the relevant experience for your new field of interest, but that applies to most degrees in general: these days it’s your experience, rather than the degree itself which is important.

thank you for your reply! i think the mixture of medical and so many other skills (practical, technical, social) is what drew me to dentistry in the first place. I enjoy science a lot but want to do a degree that doesn’t JUST focus on that and puts all the scientific knowledge into practice.

Maybe switching careers is equally difficult in many degrees and that’s something i can work out if it even happens.
thank you for your reply! i think the mixture of medical and so many other skills (practical, technical, social) is what drew me to dentistry in the first place. I enjoy science a lot but want to do a degree that doesn’t JUST focus on that and puts all the scientific knowledge into practice.

Maybe switching careers is equally difficult in many degrees and that’s something i can work out if it even happens.

If you have further questions about what studying dentistry is like, feel free to ask because I empathise with you that it can seem daunting at your stage. There’s also a dental student AMA and dentist AMA thread which may be of interest:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5937530
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6448312
Reply 7
Original post by AstaYunoo
"I enjoyed all the work experience i’ve done in it and would love to work in it in the future" This is that defining statement that dentistry is calling for you.
You need to realise most healthcare professional students don't actually have a great deal of understanding of the profession or degree they are going into, it's basically faking it till you make it, and the fact you have gotten that work experience in and have not hated it means you have that willingness to take part in clinics etc
You want prospects/jobs well... biochemistry in general tends to lead into further research/lab work so I would definitely go with dentistry and if it does not work out take biochemistry through clearing

Thank you! i think i really needed to hear this, it’s so easy to think that people applying for medicine/dentistry are 100% sure of their choice and know exactly what it involves/what they’ll be doing.

I’m thinking of going for it. I know that i want a career that applies scientific knowledge in a practical way and that dentistry is really interesting to me now and if that changes i’m sure there are other options.

If i choose a biochemistry course as my dentistry 5th option and change my mind since then, could i choose that one instead of dentistry?
Reply 8
If you have further questions about what studying dentistry is like, feel free to ask because I empathise with you that it can seem daunting at your stage. There’s also a dental student AMA and dentist AMA thread which may be of interest:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5937530
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6448312

Thank you so much. I wasn’t aware of these threads and they’ll definitely be helpful! I know that i want to be 100% sure before i make my decision.:smile:
Thank you! i think i really needed to hear this, it’s so easy to think that people applying for medicine/dentistry are 100% sure of their choice and know exactly what it involves/what they’ll be doing.

I’m thinking of going for it. I know that i want a career that applies scientific knowledge in a practical way and that dentistry is really interesting to me now and if that changes i’m sure there are other options.

If i choose a biochemistry course as my dentistry 5th option and change my mind since then, could i choose that one instead of dentistry?

Yes!! I forgot Ucas gives you like 5 options, so be sure to leave one for biochem/natural sciences :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest