The Student Room Group

asking out an unpopular girl?

so im quite unpopular in my college and the boy i like is quite popular. he's kinda giving me mixed signals if he likes me or not. but do popular guys tend to ask out unpopular girls?
You won't know till you ask. Shoot your shot, you're not losing anything by trying.
Popularity doesn't matter if he likes you for YOU.
Reply 3
Original post by Qxi.xli
You won't know till you ask. Shoot your shot, you're not losing anything by trying.

im waaayyyy to shy to shoot my shot, i'd rather they do it
Depends on the guy but usually we don't care if a girl is popular or not. If we like them, we like them and will ask them out.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
so im quite unpopular in my college and the boy i like is quite popular. he's kinda giving me mixed signals if he likes me or not. but do popular guys tend to ask out unpopular girls?

Yes, but mainly in 90s teen movies like She's All That...
im waaayyyy to shy to shoot my shot, i'd rather they do it

You could miss your chance with this mindset. He might be thinking the same and you could end up not getting anywhere. Take your shot while you can.
Reply 7
Original post by shooonthebeat
You could miss your chance with this mindset. He might be thinking the same and you could end up not getting anywhere. Take your shot while you can.

im really oblivious to this. how exactly do i shoot my shot?
im really oblivious to this. how exactly do i shoot my shot?

Ask him out, don't wait on him to do it.
Reminds me of normal people.
Not even going to lie or anything, from experience, the unpopular girls never get with the popular guys. It’s normally popular with popular and unpopular with unpopular people who are in relationships.
If you ask him out or move too quick on him, he might think he is more superior than you or something since he has more status. If he really liked you, he would talk to you. Ask him for help for a piece of work, then see where he’s at in terms of relationship wise.
Even if he does like you, it's very unlikely he's gonna come right out and say it. Teenage boys are notoriously flippant and get embarrassed easily. Also I wouldn't approach him in a group, like ever. Boys get really annoying in groups and often act up despite their real feelings for someone, even platonic friendships can go sour if someone in the group doesn't like you.

I would try approaching him whenever he's alone and just make some small talk, if you have classes together see if you can work on something or ask him for help/offer him help if you are ever stuck. Build up some kind of reasonable interaction and if you wanna let him know you think he's nice and wanna see if he thinks of you the same then go ahead.
Sounds like he just wants to bang you nothing more
Sounds like he just wants to bang you nothing more

Where on earth did you get that idea? Xd It is her who likes him. We barely know anything about the guy except he is popular.

Anyway i think You should do sth about it instead of just waiting for him to ask you out. Try spending more time together with him and go somewhere one on one. It can be because you simply want to hang out together or you can make an excuse like studying. I know it is hard for you but i think that makes the whole experience more empowering to you even if you dont do everything you would like to and act a little shy. Good luck girl :wink:
I was really popular and I went for a girl who was extremely shy.

She and I stuck together, she'd happily stay with my friends but mostly stayed in her own group. No one had a problem, and we both enjoyed it.

GO for it.
In my school the most sus guy was popular, don’t rlly matter lol
If you're hesitating whether to choose a relationship or remaining single, you can always ask him to be in a getting-to-know-each-other phase with you. It won't let you do Romantic stuff, but that's the whole point, because you'll do better to save yourself for the right man.

Man, I wish users here will be as nice to male users who post threads like this just as they are to female users who do the same thing. :frown:
Original post by SlaveofAll
Man, I wish users here will be as nice to male users who post threads like this just as they are to female users who do the same thing. :frown:

Many are but the few that arent will be remembered the most. "You are feeling hopeless? WTF is wrong with you bro? Get your **** together"
Girls have less confidence on average than guys. Hence the expectation for guys to ask out. Hence also why guys care less if the girl is popular or not. Whereas girls prefer to target the popular guys because they more often lack their own self-fulfillment, so seek it out in others.

The more confident girls, the genuinely more confident girls (not those who pretend by being loud and obnoxious which might make them more 'popular', but not 'confident')... do not have the same thirst for popular guys. I've noticed. Often.

Short answer: he probably does not care if you're popular or not.
(edited 2 years ago)
Many are but the few that arent will be remembered the most. "You are feeling hopeless? WTF is wrong with you bro? Get your **** together"

That should change for the better.

Quick Reply