The Student Room Group

Worried about uni dorm

I live in a studio at uni and left my dorm in an emergency for personal reasons but I was running out of food anyway. I was gone for over a month. I’m returning today, but I can’t sleep cause I’m worried sick about the state of the fridge or the bins. Like if anything like maggots have grown...
I think the only thing I had left in the fridge was a small empty bottle of milk and unopened yogurt. Maybe some veg sealed up in those boxes. My bins weren’t emptied, I forgot, but I told the accomodation to take it out for me. I mentioned the fridge too. They said they told them but I’m not sure if they even did that.
But what if there’s maggots or some creatures there and they didn’t do that? What do I do? I never sorted a problem like this before in my life...
If your description of what you left is accurate then I suspect your fears far exceed any possible real situation. Bin anything dodgy, seal and put out your waste to whatever collection point your place has. Then wash down fridge and cupboard surfaces with hot water and a multi-surface cleaner. Open windows to air out any musty odours. Maggots are really unlikely unless you've left uncovered food out on the worktop. But even if.. Bag and bin and wash. Get some marigold gloves even. Good luck.
Original post by Anonymous
I live in a studio at uni and left my dorm in an emergency for personal reasons but I was running out of food anyway. I was gone for over a month. I’m returning today, but I can’t sleep cause I’m worried sick about the state of the fridge or the bins. Like if anything like maggots have grown...
I think the only thing I had left in the fridge was a small empty bottle of milk and unopened yogurt. Maybe some veg sealed up in those boxes. My bins weren’t emptied, I forgot, but I told the accomodation to take it out for me. I mentioned the fridge too. They said they told them but I’m not sure if they even did that.
But what if there’s maggots or some creatures there and they didn’t do that? What do I do? I never sorted a problem like this before in my life...

Hi!

I would have thought that they would have done this for you, as it would affect them too potentially.

Make sure when you get there to open windows.
Clean the fridge by taking out the shelves and giving them a good scrub in the sink. You may have to use bleach. But anything to do scrub with bleach makes sure to scrub over with a wet cloth to remove bleach left over.
Similar to the bin. I usually do this every couple of months. But pour how water mixed with bleach in the empty bin and leave to set for a bit. Then use a mob to scrub inside the bin (saves you putting your hands in). I usually then pour this outside down a drain otherwise it will make the sink smell.
I would suggest just wiping down all the sides after to make sure it's clean.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

The fridge will be alright, yes the stuff may have gone off and have some mold on it but it wont get out of control in a fridge.

The bin as long as its not over flowing should be fine as well. Just take it all out clean it down and it will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending