The Student Room Group

Taking a mini-suitcase to the supermarket

As a student I’ve moved into a city and abandoned my car at home. I’m quite petite and small framed so when it comes to walking the 15 minutes back from the supermarket with my weekly shop I really struggled and would have to stop several times to reposition my bag and would often end up with injury’s to my shoulder, arms and feet most weeks. It got to a point when I was having to go to the store nearly daily just so I could carry everything, which isn’t ideal especially during covid. My mum bought me a mini suitcase to take to the store to help me with this but I’m too nervous to take it because I think people would make fun. Do you think this is weird
I think it's a bit weird you are regularly injuring yourself trying to carry shopping? Without being funny is there something physically wrong with you? Or are you trying to buy way too much at a time? :confused:
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
I think it's a bit weird you are regularly injuring yourself trying to carry shopping? Without being funny is there something physically wrong with you? Or are you trying to buy way too much at a time? :confused:

I’ve had brain surgery so my balance is impacted which means often I lean to one side so more weight is distributed that way. I’m also only 5’2 and weigh about 60kg so when carrying a weeks worth of shopping (up a hill I might add) I was putting my shoulder out and ended up having to see a physio
I’d take it if it makes life easier you can’t keep hurting yourself can you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hxlly078
I’ve had brain surgery so my balance is impacted which means often I lean to one side so more weight is distributed that way. I’m also only 5’2 and weigh about 60kg so when carrying a weeks worth of shopping (up a hill I might add) I was putting my shoulder out and ended up having to see a physio

Okay, that sounds plenty reason to carry shopping however it works for you especially if it's preventing specific and repeat injury.
Trolleys are only a pound.:wink:
(edited 2 years ago)
As a student I’ve moved into a city and abandoned my car at home. I’m quite petite and small framed so when it comes to walking the 15 minutes back from the supermarket with my weekly shop I really struggled and would have to stop several times to reposition my bag and would often end up with injury’s to my shoulder, arms and feet most weeks. It got to a point when I was having to go to the store nearly daily just so I could carry everything, which isn’t ideal especially during covid. My mum bought me a mini suitcase to take to the store to help me with this but I’m too nervous to take it because I think people would make fun. Do you think this is weird

I live in a studenty area and I have seen many, many students using luggage as a makeshift trolley. If it works for you, don’t worry about it.
Reply 7

The usual thing people use is a shopping trolley. Argos sell these (for example, see https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/sports-and-leisure/bags-luggage-and-travel/shopping-trolleys/c:30497/), and I'm sure other places do too.
Reply 8

In the circumstances, would getting a delivery from, say, Sainsbury's, be a better option for you?

If you book a late night delivery, it can be quite a low cost. If you have a freezer, you could stock up with a few things.

By the way, are you getting the Disabled Students' Allowance? You must be.
If it would help then use it or you could get a shopping trolley, lots of people have those or you could shop online and have it delivered.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Kerzen
In the circumstances, would getting a delivery from, say, Sainsbury's, be a better option for you?

If you book a late night delivery, it can be quite a low cost. If you have a freezer, you could stock up with a few things.

By the way, are you getting the Disabled Students' Allowance? You must be.

I feel awkward getting food delivered to university halls but I should probably just get over it 🤣

Yes I get DSA’s but it comes in the form of school equipment rather than funding 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending