The Student Room Group

Does placement year provide any boost to job prospects ?

I am an international student who looks forward for a successful career after completing my masters from one of the UK university. Even though the courses are for 1 years( masters in mechanical engineering with management), some unis offer a placement year. Is it really worth pursuing the placement year offered by lower ranked unis or should I go for 1 year course from higher ranked unis?
I think you can apply for PSV once you've finished your study and get a two-year visa
Original post by anandg1999
I am an international student who looks forward for a successful career after completing my masters from one of the UK university. Even though the courses are for 1 years( masters in mechanical engineering with management), some unis offer a placement year. Is it really worth pursuing the placement year offered by lower ranked unis or should I go for 1 year course from higher ranked unis?

A placement year can provide a huge boost to your job prospects. But whether you think it's worth the extra year - which, although typically paid quite reasonably, will still likely be a fair bit less than a graduate salary - is up to you to weigh up. A placement year certainly isn't a prerequisite for securing a job, but any relevant experience can help a lot.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
A placement year can provide a huge boost to your job prospects. But whether you think it's worth the extra year - which, although typically paid quite reasonably, will still likely be a fair bit less than a graduate salary - is up to you to weigh up. A placement year certainly isn't a prerequisite for securing a job, but any relevant experience can help a lot.

so should i do a placement year from a low ranked uni or go for 1 year course from comparatively higher ranked ones?
so should i do a placement year from a low ranked uni or go for 1 year course from comparatively higher ranked ones?

I would say go for a higher ranked uni and just get your application in for grad jobs really early. A lot of grad scheme apps close by November/December. Normally even if you do a placement year, you’ll have to apply and secure one yourself and placement apps are just as difficult as grad scheme apps.
In the uk it seems more and more jobs are expecting some kind of work experience which can make it hard to get a foot in the door for those straight out of uni, so a placement is useful for gaining that experience to land a first job. You might find one beneficial in order to learn on the job, but whether or not it's necessary could depend on whether the country you intend to work in will require it. Some countries are easier to get a first job in than others, and have more places willing to train you up so that you can get the experience.

Rankings don't matter, but some universities have better offerings in the engineering field than others, and also stronger links with industry which can help securing a job. It's more about comparing individual universities vs rankings.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
Rankings don't matter, but some universities have better offerings in the engineering field than others, and also stronger links with industry which can help securing a job. It's more about comparing individual universities vs rankings.

Can you suggest me some if possible?
Can you suggest me some if possible?

Universities for a mechanical engineering MSc? There are lots and I can't advise specifics about universities that I haven't attended, I'm afraid. Generally speaking, universities have better links with industry geographically close to them, so if you have a specific sector in mind, then it's probably better to study at a university that is close to it. Do you have any specific career aspirations in mind?
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
Universities for a mechanical engineering MSc? There are lots and I can't advise specifics about universities that I haven't attended, I'm afraid. Generally speaking, universities have better links with industry geographically close to them, so if you have a specific sector in mind, then it's probably better to study at a university that is close to it. Do you have any specific career aspirations in mind?

I do aspire a career in my core field that might be an engineering or kind of engineering management.

Quick Reply

Latest