The Student Room Group

A level advice

Going to do bio chem history in sep, any advice? About work or revision etc
Original post by Ghostface6001

Hi,
What context/mindset are you asking for advice within?
My sixth form group was mega into past papers for written exams as knowing how the questions work and are marked is half of the equation and cannot be changed by you, so is highly recommended. For practical/coursework examination start working on it as soon as your are assigned relevant content! The other half which can be changed by you is the content. Obviously it's specific to you, but I found writing post-it notes of trickery facts/info and sticking them where I would see them (toilet handle, cupboards etc). Is this the sort of advice you mean?
M.

I do not do bio or chem, but I do History A-Level and got the highest grade in my year for my recent mock. My biggest advice would be to ensure you thoroughly understand what is going on during lessons- it is easy to forget long names and events and therefore lose track of what is happening. Secondly, DO NOT revise by making loads of revision notes or cards- the exam is an ESSAY exam, not loads of small markers. Instead make revision timelines ( if you do stuarts I can give you mine). In your time line list anything you could imagine yourself referencing as evidence in an essay: key meetings, wars, policies etc. Then for big exams condense your timelines into one timeline, and make essay plans- often times the exam questions are the same questions rephrased. Lastly, put effort into essays you do across the years, but do not be discouraged by bad marks- I got plenty of Cs and low Bs throughout the year, but it helped me vastly for the final exam because i knew what i could and could not do.
Good luck!!!

Hello there :smile:

In A levels I also studied biology and chemistry. My advice for both would be do as many exam questions as these are key for revision. For chemistry I would use the CGP books as there the best and use the specification to make standard notes. For biology it was harder as the questions were more application questions so I used to make loads of mind maps for each topic in biology which really helped but I cannot stress it enough exam questions are very key in biology revision. This is because you start to learn the structure of what biology questions are like. Also always read over your notes at the end of every week so it stays fresh in your mind.
The books I recommend are the CGP books , they helped me throughout AS and A-level.
Hope this helps
Laiba :smile:
Human & Health Sciences
Original post by Swansea University Colleges
Hello there :smile:

In A levels I also studied biology and chemistry. My advice for both would be do as many exam questions as these are key for revision. For chemistry I would use the CGP books as there the best and use the specification to make standard notes. For biology it was harder as the questions were more application questions so I used to make loads of mind maps for each topic in biology which really helped but I cannot stress it enough exam questions are very key in biology revision. This is because you start to learn the structure of what biology questions are like. Also always read over your notes at the end of every week so it stays fresh in your mind.
The books I recommend are the CGP books , they helped me throughout AS and A-level.
Hope this helps
Laiba :smile:
Human & Health Sciences

Thank you, of u don’t mind, what did u get for bio n chem

I’m also planning to do those subjects! What are you planning to do after sixth form?
Thank you, of u don’t mind, what did u get for bio n chem

Hi there,

For Chemistry I got an A and biology I got a B. Unfortunately I was not able to sit my A level exams as they got cancelled in 2020 so these were my grades given by my teachers.

-Laiba
Human and Health Sciences :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest