The Student Room Group

I want to move out but my misogynistic uncle won't let me

I'm nearly in Y11 now, and I'm set on moving out (rent paid by parents) for sixth form

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm nearly in Y11 now, and I'm set on moving out (rent paid by parents) for sixth form

Oops didn't finish writing
By the way, yes it's legal, as long as there is parental consent. My parents gave me consent- btu my uncle is manipulatig them to not give it to me
''You're a female blah blah blah, you won't be able to do anything blah blah blah''
Reply 2
Best you can do is convince them he is an arse, but moving out for sixth form sounds a bit weird? Is it a residential sixth form college or are you talking about just living on your own while attending a local sixth form?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Talon
Best you can do is convince them he is an arse, but moving out for sixth form sounds a bit weird? Is it a residential sixth form college or are you talking about just living on your own while attending a local sixth form?

Living on my own while attending a local sixth form. They'd consent it and pay for it, but I do agree it's a bit weird

I mainly want to live alone because my parents are huge *******s, I want to be able to go out whenever I want (although I'll be mature about it, and I'll be busy studying anyway), and I want to move away from the city I am in. Not that there's anything wrong with the city itself, but I have some traumas (which has no link to the city itself, but still)
Reply 4
The problem is, while you are under 18 or at least financially dependent on them, there isn't an awful lot you can do if you can't convince them to pay up. Once you have left school and have a job, you will be able to move out at will. Maybe you can convince them to pay you that money while you still live at home to help save up to move out when you leave sixth form? Not ideal for your plans I know, but it might work?
Ur uncle can't stop you from leaving physically, if ur parents are OK with it then ur uncle shouldn't interfere.
Reply 6
Original post by ObedientBeliever
Ur uncle can't stop you from leaving physically, if ur parents are OK with it then ur uncle shouldn't interfere.

Yeah but the problem is, in a normal scenario, it'd all be fine. But he's telling them why I shouldn't do it (with gender stereotypes, not with actual reasoning). Because of that, they are becoming less and less keen on the idea, which leads to no consent when I apply for sixth forms
Reply 7
Original post by Talon
The problem is, while you are under 18 or at least financially dependent on them, there isn't an awful lot you can do if you can't convince them to pay up. Once you have left school and have a job, you will be able to move out at will. Maybe you can convince them to pay you that money while you still live at home to help save up to move out when you leave sixth form? Not ideal for your plans I know, but it might work?

They've got money saved up for my degree so that can't work, it's either staying at home or moving out :frown:
Reply 8
Living on my own while attending a local sixth form. They'd consent it and pay for it, but I do agree it's a bit weird

I mainly want to live alone because my parents are huge *******s.

It looks a bit incongruous on the screen to see you explaining that your parents would pay the rent on a flat for you so that you can live on your own while in Sixth Form and then see you describing them as 'huge ******s'.

What they do seem to be is hugely generous.
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
It looks a bit incongruous on the screen to see you explaining that your parents would pay the rent on a flat for you so that you can live on your own while in Sixth Form and then see you describing them as 'huge ******s'.

What they do seem to be is hugely generous.

They gave me childhood trauma so I hate them for it
Reply 10
They gave me childhood trauma so I hate them for it

How?
Original post by Kerzen
How?

Doing messed up things
Reply 12
Doing messed up things

Such as?
Original post by Kerzen
Such as?

Beatings
You are being ridiculous. Move out at age 18 for university or a job
You are being ridiculous. Move out at age 18 for university or a job

The problem isn't moving out at sixth form or not. That's not the main focus.
The problem is what they would've consented otherwise, might not end up being consented, because of the sexist ideas of my uncle, who can't mind his own business. That's my issue
Reply 16
Beatings

Were you able to turn to someone for help when this was happening, teachers perhaps?
Beatings

ok? that's pretty normal, i'd say. your uncle is using your gender as a front, but he's right, you are literally 16.
ok? that's pretty normal, i'd say. your uncle is using your gender as a front, but he's right, you are literally 16.

If you say beatings are normal, I think we are talking about very different beatings.
My uncle doesn't care about my age, otherwise he would've talked about it already, wouldn't he? He's using my gender only, which shows his only focus

How are beatings normal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending