The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Having fm as my third subject applying to imperial

Would i get rejected, I do math fm and physics, I have terrible GCSEs, got an A* in my math this year and predicted AA for fm and physics and I want to apply for earth and planetary science which requires AAA do I stand a chance?
Reply 1
Only doing 2 A-levels in year 13 might be an issue - or it might not be. If you had already done A-level maths and were doing 3 other subjects, they'd likely still set an offer for 3 subjects. Only way to be sure is to phone them and ask if they consider applications where one A-level is already achieved and two are due to be done. There's a phone number and an email address here on the department website: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/earth-science/prosp-students/ug-courses/.

GCSEs shouldn't matter. Imperial don't look at them, except for English language - if you don't have a 6 then you need some other way of proving to them that you understand English. Like IELTS.

I can't find data for the Earth and planetary science course, but courses in the earth sciences dept tend to be less competitive then others. So I think you should be ok.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by LeoHsieh20040725
Would i get rejected, I do math fm and physics, I have terrible GCSEs, got an A* in my math this year and predicted AA for fm and physics and I want to apply for earth and planetary science which requires AAA do I stand a chance?

I've moved the thread to the Imperial forum btw.
Original post by Sinnoh
Only doing 2 A-levels in year 13 might be an issue - or it might not be. If you had already done A-level maths and were doing 3 other subjects, they'd likely still set an offer for 3 subjects. Only way to be sure is to phone them and ask if they consider applications where one A-level is already achieved and two are due to be done. There's a phone number and an email address here on the department website: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/earth-science/prosp-students/ug-courses/.

GCSEs shouldn't matter. Imperial don't look at them, except for English language - if you don't have a 6 then you need some other way of proving to them that you understand English. Like IELTS.

I can't find data for the Earth and planetary science course, but courses in the earth sciences dept tend to be less competitive then others. So I think you should be ok.

So if they ask for three then I am dead essentially.
Reply 4
So if they ask for three then I am dead essentially.

Well no, they wouldn't set an impossible offer.
Original post by Sinnoh

Okok, also I saw that earth science related subject like geophysics with a year abroad has got something like 96% offer rate are those data accurate? Since I am kinda curious why such an elite uni have a offer rate that’s so high
Original post by Sinnoh

wait so will imperial mind if I only do maths FM physics? for Physics?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Qxi.xli

Are you sitting all three in the same year?
Reply 8
Okok, also I saw that earth science related subject like geophysics with a year abroad has got something like 96% offer rate are those data accurate? Since I am kinda curious why such an elite uni have a offer rate that’s so high

Probably a low number of applicants.

Original post by Qxi.xli

if it's all 3 in the same year I don't see why they would mind. I might have had 4 A-levels but they didn't specify any grade for my 4th so I could've gotten a U and they'd be fine with it.
Original post by Sinnoh
Probably a low number of applicants.

if it's all 3 in the same year I don't see why they would mind. I might have had 4 A-levels but they didn't specify any grade for my 4th so I could've gotten a U and they'd be fine with it.

Original post by Muttley79
Are you sitting all three in the same year?

ok few thank youu
yes all in the same year :smile:
Original post by Sinnoh

Hello I know this is an old thread but I just want to say that now my prediction grades are A*A* for both physics and furthermath, and I have an A* for alevel math, does the higher prediction fix the problem I mentioned or would it makes no difference.
Reply 11
Hello I know this is an old thread but I just want to say that now my prediction grades are A*A* for both physics and furthermath, and I have an A* for alevel math, does the higher prediction fix the problem I mentioned or would it makes no difference.

Did you contact the department? That's the only way to be sure really. I'm not an admissions tutor.
Original post by Sinnoh
Did you contact the department? That's the only way to be sure really. I'm not an admissions tutor.

Yes but there answer is very vague , also how much do they care about my personal statement, are they like LSE crazy for it or do they just don’t care.
Reply 13
Yes but there answer is very vague , also how much do they care about my personal statement, are they like LSE crazy for it or do they just don’t care.

For Earth and Planetary Sciences, I don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending