The Student Room Group

Has anyone else had this weird illness?

On two occasions within the past year I have come down with a weird illness, both times it started with excessive thirst, my mouth was so dry and I had never felt so thirsty in my life. Because of my increased intake of water I constantly needed the toilet.

Then I would get a terrible stomachache, and pain in my back and my head. I would lose my appetite completely, I love food and I never skip meals but the thought of food made me so nauseous even if I tried to take a bite of food I found myself running to the bathroom to throw up.

I’m not sexually active so it wasn’t pregnancy. I went to the doctor both times, the first time they said it was just a stomach bug, they gave me anti-sickness medicine so I would be able to eat without throwing up. This did help me and I got better after a couple of days.

The second time they tested me for diabetes but it was negative. They didn’t know what was wrong with me but gave me more anti-sickness medicine to help me eat again.

Although the medicine helped me and I got better both times, I’m still wondering what was wrong with me. It was like nothing I’ve experienced before, it felt different to your average stomach bug or flu, I wasn’t feverish. It made me feel really weak, tired and vulnerable.

Because I never really got a conclusion of what it was I fear all the time that I’ll fall sick with it again. Especially now that I am planning on moving to a different country with my friend, I don’t want to fall sick and worry her or have to visit a hospital where I don’t speak the language.

Has anyone else experienced an illness like this?
Original post by Anonymous
On two occasions within the past year I have come down with a weird illness, both times it started with excessive thirst, my mouth was so dry and I had never felt so thirsty in my life. Because of my increased intake of water I constantly needed the toilet.

Then I would get a terrible stomachache, and pain in my back and my head. I would lose my appetite completely, I love food and I never skip meals but the thought of food made me so nauseous even if I tried to take a bite of food I found myself running to the bathroom to throw up.

I’m not sexually active so it wasn’t pregnancy. I went to the doctor both times, the first time they said it was just a stomach bug, they gave me anti-sickness medicine so I would be able to eat without throwing up. This did help me and I got better after a couple of days.

The second time they tested me for diabetes but it was negative. They didn’t know what was wrong with me but gave me more anti-sickness medicine to help me eat again.

Although the medicine helped me and I got better both times, I’m still wondering what was wrong with me. It was like nothing I’ve experienced before, it felt different to your average stomach bug or flu, I wasn’t feverish. It made me feel really weak, tired and vulnerable.

Because I never really got a conclusion of what it was I fear all the time that I’ll fall sick with it again. Especially now that I am planning on moving to a different country with my friend, I don’t want to fall sick and worry her or have to visit a hospital where I don’t speak the language.

Has anyone else experienced an illness like this?

Sounds like it may have been a combination of things. For one it does sound like mild food poisoning or a stomach bug - did you eat anything funny or out of date? or perhaps sometimes if you mix foods that don't mesh swell together it can upset your stomach like drinking milk and then juice not far behind that, or eating too much meat followed by dairy. That with a lack of sleep or too much sleep could cause the headache and throwing up can also do this and make you feel tired.

This is of course just my guess based of my own personal experience, the doctors or health professionals would have a better idea!
Reply 2
Original post by Amira_Jade
Sounds like it may have been a combination of things. For one it does sound like mild food poisoning or a stomach bug - did you eat anything funny or out of date? or perhaps sometimes if you mix foods that don't mesh swell together it can upset your stomach like drinking milk and then juice not far behind that, or eating too much meat followed by dairy. That with a lack of sleep or too much sleep could cause the headache and throwing up can also do this and make you feel tired.

This is of course just my guess based of my own personal experience, the doctors or health professionals would have a better idea!

It could well have been, although I’m usually very careful when it comes to food, I’m a nutrition student so I know the rules of expiration dates and reheating leftover food. I’m also vegetarian and I don’t eat dairy products so I don’t think that could have caused it.

Thanks for your feedback tho, it’s good to hear what others might think!
It could well have been, although I’m usually very careful when it comes to food, I’m a nutrition student so I know the rules of expiration dates and reheating leftover food. I’m also vegetarian and I don’t eat dairy products so I don’t think that could have caused it.

Thanks for your feedback tho, it’s good to hear what others might think!

Oh dear sorry about that. I hope this doesn't happen to you again. All the best to you x
Hi,

this is kind of like me but it happens more mildly yet continuously starting around September last year?? I’m not sexually active either so can’t be pregnant. Instead of vomiting i just feel nauseous and stay near a bathroom, with it currently happening around now.

I thought I was overreacting but if it’s happening similarly to someone else I might see my GP. One of my friends suggested it might be physical aspects of my social anxiety, so do you suffer from any mental health issues?? I’m not sure, but it’s kind of reassuring to know that I’m not the only one with an issue like this x
check with your gp if you can have a blood test, checking all your levels. i had a huge variation of different symptoms like nausea, excessive tiredness, wanting to throw up whenever i ate, feeling faint, fast heartbeat etc. although theyre still not great so far it has been symptoms of anxiety (as someone above mentioned), anaemia, and hypothyrodism. xx
Reply 6
Hi,

this is kind of like me but it happens more mildly yet continuously starting around September last year?? I’m not sexually active either so can’t be pregnant. Instead of vomiting i just feel nauseous and stay near a bathroom, with it currently happening around now.

I thought I was overreacting but if it’s happening similarly to someone else I might see my GP. One of my friends suggested it might be physical aspects of my social anxiety, so do you suffer from any mental health issues?? I’m not sure, but it’s kind of reassuring to know that I’m not the only one with an issue like this x

So sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. I did wonder myself if it was related to mental illness. I had depression a couple of years ago and from it I developed social anxiety.

Not everyday is perfect but I am so much better than I was before. At the times I was ill my anxiety was not great but not at its worst. I hope that makes sense.

Definitely see your doctor and explain your symptoms in detail, I feel like my doctor barley listened to what I had to say. I hope you feel better soon x
Reply 7
Original post by brionyvj
check with your gp if you can have a blood test, checking all your levels. i had a huge variation of different symptoms like nausea, excessive tiredness, wanting to throw up whenever i ate, feeling faint, fast heartbeat etc. although theyre still not great so far it has been symptoms of anxiety (as someone above mentioned), anaemia, and hypothyrodism. xx

Thanks I’ll look in to getting a blood test!

Quick Reply

Latest