The Student Room Group

A level choices - medicine?

Hi so I’ve submitted my options as
Maths, further maths, chemistry and English literature (potential degrees I am considering are maths, chemistry or law).
However, I am also considering a career in medicine and so I would need biology. I’m not 100% set on medicine but I am interested in the field so my question is should I choose biology (and which subject should I replace it with?) or do my chosen subjects and if i still want to do medicine in future go for the graduate entry into medicine?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Mkm5
Maths, further maths, chemistry and English literature (potential degrees I am considering are maths, chemistry or law).
However, I am also considering a career in medicine and so I would need biology. I’m not 100% set on medicine but I am interested in the field so my question is should I choose biology (and which subject should I replace it with?) or do my chosen subjects and if i still want to do medicine in future go for the graduate entry into medicine?

The best one to replace with biology would be English lit but that would hinder your application for law so you should decide whether you would rather do law or medicine and then pick accordingly. Also, not all med schools will require biology but it is extremely useful especially when applying to a top uni.
Original post by Mkm5

Hey there ,

When applying for medicine in the future on UCAS biology is a key subject needed. Most universities have chemistry and biology as a requirement when applying. My advice would be is to check some universities you may want to apply to and check their requirement for the grades and subjects needed.
If you had to swap your original subject with biology pick the one you think you may not need for your future potential degree.

Best wishes
Laiba
Human & Health sciences
Reply 3
Original post by Swansea University Colleges
Hey there ,

When applying for medicine in the future on UCAS biology is a key subject needed. Most universities have chemistry and biology as a requirement when applying. My advice would be is to check some universities you may want to apply to and check their requirement for the grades and subjects needed.
If you had to swap your original subject with biology pick the one you think you may not need for your future potential degree.

Best wishes
Laiba
Human & Health sciences

23 med schools do not require Biology at A level (though they may require a 2nd science/Psychology), so nearly two thirds do not have chem and bio as requirements.
Doing both keeps the most options open, but there are plenty of med schools that do not need both of them

Original post by Mkm5

Further maths will not be counted by most meds chools (if offered with maths), but there are plenty who would be fine wiht maths, chem, Eng Lit.
Original post by jimjxm
The best one to replace with biology would be English lit but that would hinder your application for law so you should decide whether you would rather do law or medicine and then pick accordingly. Also, not all med schools will require biology but it is extremely useful especially when applying to a top uni.

What is a "top uni" in this context? How are you measuring this? And what makes biology extrememly useful? It is either a requirement - in which case it is essential, or it is not, in which case having it, or not, will make no difference
Grad entry is too competive so I would avoid it. It should be your last option in my opinion. I would drop further maths as most unis don't really class maths and further maths as two separate subjects and deffo isn't needed for medicine. I think chemistry and biology are a must for medicine. If you done law, best to keep with english lit as an essay based subject would be really useful
Reply 5
Original post by l_thomas
Grad entry is too competive so I would avoid it. It should be your last option in my opinion. I would drop further maths as most unis don't really class maths and further maths as two separate subjects and deffo isn't needed for medicine. I think chemistry and biology are a must for medicine. If you done law, best to keep with english lit as an essay based subject would be really useful

The person in the OP said they also were thinking of a maths degree meaning they would need fm. Therefore they need to decide if they want to do law as if they didn't they wouldn't need english lit and could then take fm maths bio and chem meaning they could do maths, medicine or chemistry
In the interests of giving yourself a rounded education I would suggest dropping further maths. However, if you’re considering maths as a degree, the best one to drop is English literature as this leaves all options open. Whilst not all maths degrees require further maths, no law degree requires English Literature. It pains me a little to say it but further maths will keep the most options open for you.
Read this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

A-level Biology is not required for all medical schools; I think about half don't require it. Your combination should be fine for medicine.
I am doing Chem, bio and Philosophy does this hinder my chances of not getting in as I haven't chosen physics or maths as my third option
Reply 9
Original post by 15mohsinfa
I am doing Chem, bio and Philosophy does this hinder my chances of not getting in as I haven't chosen physics or maths as my third option

For medicine?
Original post by jimjxm
For medicine?

yes
Reply 11
yes

where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by jimjxm
where are you thinking of applying?

Newcastle, Glasgow, Plymouth still deciding with the 4th one between- Cambridge, Exeter, imperial or Leeds?
Reply 13
Newcastle, Glasgow, Plymouth still deciding with the 4th one between- Cambridge, Exeter, imperial or Leeds?

For places like Glasgow and Newcastle it wouldn't really hinder but for Cambridge and Imperial, you will be at a massive disadvantage to other applicants as they will have maths and some Cambridge colleges also require 3 science/maths a levels. So really it's fine but for the top top unis you will be at a disadvantage as most applicants will have maths or another facilitating subject.
Original post by jimjxm
For places like Glasgow and Newcastle it wouldn't really hinder but for Cambridge and Imperial, you will be at a massive disadvantage to other applicants as they will have maths and some Cambridge colleges also require 3 science/maths a levels. So really it's fine but for the top top unis you will be at a disadvantage as most applicants will have maths or another facilitating subject.

No such thing as top top universities in medicine when it comes to employment.

OP you will disadvantage yourself if you do a subject you neither like nor are good at. If you have to do maths to apply to Cambridge or Imperial and you otherwise wouldn’t take that subject, change your choice of university, not your A level subjects. Where you go in medicine is arbitrary when it comes to getting your F1 job as university rankings are not taken into account and your medical school is not considered in the application process. So please don’t just take up a subject that won’t help you at any other university just because someone on here reinforced the idea that some universities are “top”. Only do it if you a) think you can and b) want to. Chemistry, biology and philosophy are more than sufficient for the majority of medical schools in the UK.
Original post by jimjxm

Imperial does not require Maths at A level. I and many of my peers did not take Maths; it does not influence your application at all.

Also, as above, there are no 'top' universities for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending