The Student Room Group

AS particles questionnn

why is the answer not the weak nuclear force, since strangeness is not conserved? the question states that two strange particles are created, so total strangeness is -2 on the RHS?Capture123.PNG
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Qxi.xli
why is the answer not the weak nuclear force, since strangeness is not conserved? the question states that two strange particles are created, so total strangeness is -2 on the RHS?Capture123.PNG

You need to conserve baryon number and charge before considering if strangeness is conserved
Original post by The A.G
You need to conserve baryon number and charge before considering if strangeness is conserved

This is about the first part of the question?
Original post by Qxi.xli
This is about the first part of the question?

You’re not supposed to know the forces that act between particle interaction apart from beta and the fact that strong nuclear doesn’t interact with leptons.Personally I would just solve the equation then use that to deduce the type of force.
Original post by The A.G
You’re not supposed to know the forces that act between particle interaction apart from beta and the fact that strong nuclear doesn’t interact with leptons.Personally I would just solve the equation then use that to deduce the type of force.

Hang on but I thought we need to know that in weak interactions strangeness isn't conserved
Original post by Qxi.xli
Hang on but I thought we need to know that in weak interactions strangeness isn't conserved

Yeah you’re supposed know that.I meant you’re not supposed to know the forces that interact in specific interactions such as the pion decay shown above.My bad I didn’t read your question properly,two strange particles could have opposite strangeness such as strange and anti strange which would cancel out,meaning that strangeness is conserved
Strangeness can only change by +1,0 or-1.not -2. Knowing this, the total strangness on the RHS has to be zero and therefore strangness is conserved and it the strong nuclear force.
Original post by The A.G
Yeah you’re supposed know that.I meant you’re not supposed to know the forces that interact in specific interactions such as the pion decay shown above.My bad I didn’t read your question properly,two strange particles could have opposite strangeness such as strange and anti strange which would cancel out,meaning that strangeness is conserved

Original post by tej3141
Strangeness can only change by +1,0 or-1.not -2. Knowing this, the total strangness on the RHS has to be zero and therefore strangness is conserved and it the strong nuclear force.

Thank youuu

Quick Reply

Latest